TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died Evil10
More Numbers : 7684630
Registration date : 2008-07-21

He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died Empty
PostSubject: He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died   He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 12:30 am

May 21, 2008 - 3:30 PM

Yesterday I came across a slightly mysterious website — a collection of Polaroids, one per day, from March 31, 1979 through October 25, 1997. There’s no author listed, no contact info, and no other indication as to where these came from. So, naturally, I started looking through the photos. I was stunned by what I found.
In 1979 the photos start casually, with pictures of friends, picnics, dinners, and so on. Here’s an example from April 23, 1979
By 1980, we start to figure out that the photographer is a filmmaker. He gets a letter from the American Film Festival and takes a photo on January 30, 1980
Some days he doesn’t photograph anything interesting, so instead takes a photo of the date. Update: this was an incorrect guess; see the bottom of this post for more info on these date-only pictures.

Throughout the 1980s we see more family/fun photos, but also some glimpses of the photographer’s filmmaking and music. Here’s someone recording audio in a film editing studio from February 5, 1983:

The photographer is a big Mets fan. Here’s a shot of him and a friend with Mets tickets on April 29, 1986:

In the late 1980s we start seeing more evidence that the photographer is also a musician. He plays the accordion, and has friends who play various stringed instruments. What kind of music are they playing? Here’s a photo from July 2, 1989 of the photographer with his instrument:

In 1991, we see visual evidence of the photographs so far. The photographer has been collecting them in Polaroid boxes inside suitcases, as seen in this photo from March 30, 1991:

The 1990s seem to be a good time for the photographer. We see him spending more time with friends, and less time photographing street subjects (of which there are many — I just didn’t include them above). Perhaps one of his films made it to IFC, the Independent Film Channel, as seen in this photo from December 18, 1996

On December 6, 1993, he marks Frank Zappa’s death with this photo:

Throughout early 1997, we start to see the photographer himself more and more often. Sometimes his face is obscured behind objects. Other times he’s passed out on the couch. When he’s shown with people, he isn’t smiling. On May 2 1997, something bad has happened:
By May 4, 1997, it’s clear that he has cancer:
His health rapidly declining, the photographer takes a mirror-self-portrait on June 2, 1997:
By the end of that month, he’s completely bald
His health continues to decline through July, August, and September 1997, with several trips to the hospital and apparent chemotherapy. On the bright side, on September 11, 1997, the photographer’s hair starts to grow back
On October 5, 1997, it’s pretty clear what this picture means
Two days later we see the wedding
And just a few weeks later he’s back in the hospital. On October 24, 1997, we see a friend playing music in the hospital room
The next day the photographer dies.

What started for me as an amusing collection of photos — who takes photos every day for eighteen years? — ended with a shock. Who was this man? How did his photos end up on the web? I went on a two-day hunt, examined the source code of the website, and tried various Google tricks.
Finally my investigation turned up the photographer as Jamie Livingston, and he did indeed take a photo every day for eighteen years, until the day he died, using a Polaroid SX-70 camera. He called the project “Photo of the Day” and presumably planned to collect them at some point — had he lived. He died on October 25, 1997 — his 41st birthday.
After Livingston’s death, his friends Hugh Crawford and Betsy Reid put together a public exhibit and website using the photos and called it PHOTO OF THE DAY: 1979-1997, 6,697 Polaroids, dated in sequence. The physical exhibit opened in 2007 at the Bertelsmann Campus Center at Bard College (where Livingston started the series, as a student, way back when). The exhibit included rephotographs of every Polaroid and took up a 7 x 120 foot space.

The Website

The website is truly something to see.It's hard to imagine the ammount of dedication this must have taken. sosad
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7642196
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died   He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 1:01 am

Aw hug

No more dedication than there was love for this man and what living meant to him.
Back to top Go down
BadArt23
BadArt23

Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 389
: : Where You At?
: : He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died 29cndqs
More Numbers : 7574799
Registration date : 2008-07-25

PostSubject: Re: He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died   He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 6:04 am

I still don't get what the date-only pictures were for.

Edit:
Nevermind, I read the post
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7679259
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died   He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 am

kind of reminds me of this 2356 Days
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died   He Took a Polaroid Every Day, Until the Day He Died I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1