TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first Bjevig
More Numbers : 7580963
Registration date : 2008-07-22

spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first Empty
PostSubject: Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first   spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 1:22 pm

Quote :
SCIENTISTS have discovered the world’s first known vegetarian spider.

Bagheera kiplingi, a South American species, lives almost exclusively on leaf buds and is thought to be the only spider of about 40,000 species to have rejected a carnivorous diet.

Instead it has developed a laidback lifestyle based on nutritious wild acacia plants — and has no need to spin a web to catch its prey.

The females have even dispensed with the time-honoured spider custom of eating their sexual partners immediately after mating.

“This is the first spider known to ‘hunt’ plants as a primary food source,” said Christopher Meehan of Villanova University, in Pennsylvania, who observed the creatures, about the size of a thumbnail, on a field trip in Mexico.

The vegetarian diet of B kiplingi appears to have prompted other changes. Since it no longer needs to go through the energy-sapping business of catching prey, it has diverted its web-spinning abilities to building family homes. Mothers use the nests to rear their young.

B kiplingi does not, however, lead an entirely blameless lifestyle. Its food may be vegetarian but the spiders first have to steal it from under the noses of the ants that guard acacias against invaders.

For zoologists, though, the most startling aspect of Meehan’s discovery is that spider physiology was thought to make plant-eating impossible.

“Spiders aren’t thought to be capable of eating solid food at all,” said Meehan. Normally they secrete enzymes onto their prey to digest them outside the body and then consume what’s left as a kind of soup. B kiplingi, however, eats its vegetables whole.
Article

And what's more, it's adorable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/

PostSubject: Re: Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first   spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 1:46 pm

Nifty. I wonder how many other types of "carnivorous" bugs out there are vegetarian.
Back to top Go down
SPF
vip member
SPF

Scorpio Number of posts : 1679
: : Fashionista
: : spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7566162
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first   spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 2:02 pm

As a bio major I think that is awesome!
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7640883
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first   spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 3:37 pm

I wonder if their discovery had anything to do with the acacia berry fad. Ant's might not be the only ones in their way of getting those leaves.

Fasinating article and it is really cute.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first 25883sk
More Numbers : 7409898
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first   spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 9:44 pm

So it's a raw food vegan that curbs its violent habits and builds family homes. Ha, progressive left-leaning hippie spiders! Laughing

They're very cute. Probably the only spiders with whom I'd want to chat over a cup of tea.
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first Bjevig
More Numbers : 7580963
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first   spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 9:54 pm

RedAngel wrote:
So it's a raw food vegan that curbs its violent habits and builds family homes. Ha, progressive left-leaning hippie spiders! Laughing

Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster
Number of posts : 1421
: : spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first 6tpz4k
More Numbers : 7570797
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first   spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 5:20 am

RedAngel wrote:

They're very cute. Probably the only spiders with whom I'd want to chat over a cup of tea.

Fantastic
Back to top Go down
http://www.fetishfactory.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first   spider - Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Incy vegetarian spider is a scientific first
Page 1 of 1