TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

What is "Art"?

Go down 
+10
Vampira132
helen damnation
cynfullov
RedAngel
Synth
BadArt23
Spooky
witchartist
ravengrim
Apocalypse
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Apocalypse
Apocalypse

Number of posts : 237
More Numbers : 7552457
Registration date : 2008-08-12

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 6:34 pm

Not so much a poll, in fact not a poll at all, but a collection of opinions on what "art" is.

Does art exist to provoke a response whether negative or positive? Does it exist to put a picture to an escape from reality? Or is art just what you call something when you don't understand it? How do you feel about what is considered art and what do you think it's purpose is?
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/apocalypsenotquiteyet
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : What is "Art"? Evil10
More Numbers : 7685943
Registration date : 2008-07-21

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 8:09 pm

I'm not an artist so my opinion is probably worthless but for what it's worth, I think art is something that exsists to make a person think.If something can lift you out of that tiny place you exsist in and make you notice the world around you then that is what art is(at least to me).
Back to top Go down
Apocalypse
Apocalypse

Number of posts : 237
More Numbers : 7552457
Registration date : 2008-08-12

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 1:22 am

I think it's primary function is to give others a form to your fantasy. Sometimes it's refreshing to see art that is a reflection of how life is in the negative here was an airbrush artist that appeared in American Artist more than 15 years ago that painted subway distressed scenes but I would prefer art to let me see something else that can't happen in real life (surrealism) or something that should happen (tranquil landscapes). I've had enough of real life, I don't want to see more of it.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/apocalypsenotquiteyet
witchartist
witchartist

Scorpio Monkey
Number of posts : 73
More Numbers : 7547128
Registration date : 2008-08-16

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 4:24 pm

Greetings,
I'm kind of late to adding anything to this post, but here goes. First of all, I think we are all artists in our own way. I work with young kids who are pure artists. They lose that purity as they grow older because of the academic demands of school - they are taught to be left-brain thinkers and they lose their right-brain creativity. We all have a creative spark instilled in us by the Creator...not one God (Jeez, I'm a Pagan for cripe sakes!), but by the Creator of the Universe. This spark is either developed or not depending on our upbringing and other influences. This is just my opinion and could be considered hooey by anyone else Smile Anyhow, as far as what art is...that's in the eye, mind, and especially HEART of the person who creates it. I draw and paint pictures of people here because I love them. That is the only way I can truly express that love. I draw and paint other things...landscapes, etc because I am moved by the image in reality or my mind. What it looks like is up to me...if I am happy with it, then cool. If not, then I try again until I get it right in my mind. The picture I did of Vampira is a perfect example. I am not totally happy with it because she wasn't...and I thought I could've done a better job. So, I will try again, but it won't be the same kind of image, something more in line with who I think she is...and she is DEFINITELY NOT a witch! Well, not an ugly nasty witch anyway Wink Oh jeez, there I go rambling - I hope I make sense and I apologize for going on and on. I have just one thing more to say...create! Express yourselves in whatever way you feel appropriate...and I will love you for whatever it's worth!
Dark and Sweet Blessings to ALL of you artists!
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Vermontvisualartists/
witchartist
witchartist

Scorpio Monkey
Number of posts : 73
More Numbers : 7547128
Registration date : 2008-08-16

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Well put   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 4:25 pm

ravengrim wrote:
I'm not an artist so my opinion is probably worthless but for what it's worth, I think art is something that exsists to make a person think.If something can lift you out of that tiny place you exsist in and make you notice the world around you then that is what art is(at least to me).

Very well put, you said a few words what I tried to say in way too many!
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Vermontvisualartists/
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : What is "Art"? Evil10
More Numbers : 7685943

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 8:57 pm

Well I think this is art although some people might not agree.

http://www.nikonsmallworld.com/gallery.php

I know these are technical,scientific pictures but they seem like art to me.

A photomicrograph is a technical document that can be of great significance to science or industry. But a good photomicrograph is also an image whose structure, color, composition, and content is an object of beauty, open to several levels of comprehension and appreciation.
Back to top Go down
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster
Number of posts : 1421
: : What is "Art"? 6tpz4k
More Numbers : 7573423
Registration date : 2008-07-28

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 9:57 pm

To communicate with shapes and sound, invent thoughts with language, tell a story with movements and forms. Not just limited to paint upon a canvas or a material carved into shape, but any object that is manipulated by one person's creativity, into something new or different; even the 'art' I find completely dull or uninteresting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fetishfactory.com
BadArt23
BadArt23

Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 389
: : Where You At?
: : What is "Art"? 29cndqs
More Numbers : 7576112
Registration date : 2008-07-25

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 2:52 pm

I wrote a whole paper on what art is for a creative writing class last year. That would *really* come in handy right now...
Back to top Go down
Synth
Synth

Aquarius Horse
Number of posts : 578
: : What is "Art"? S3mrtd
More Numbers : 7578848
Registration date : 2008-07-23

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 8:02 pm

I think there are two definitions of art. they go with its two different purposes.

-To be ascetically pleasing

-To make people think and question things. Beauty doesn't really interest me but opinions do, thoughts, concepts and how to show them are very interesting to me and so I love this kind of art.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : What is "Art"? 25883sk
More Numbers : 7412524
Registration date : 2008-11-30

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Spooky wrote:
To communicate with shapes and sound, invent thoughts with language, tell a story with movements and forms. Not just limited to paint upon a canvas or a material carved into shape, but any object that is manipulated by one person's creativity, into something new or different; even the 'art' I find completely dull or uninteresting.

I agree with all of your views. I'm citing Spooky's here because he nailed the definition of visual art that I think is at its core: communication. Art is visual language.

I've been working at an art gallery in the south for 8 1/2 years, and there's a lot of confusion here about art and its purpose. Some people here think art is confusing and expensive and nothing else. And while it can be both those things, its main purpose is communication -- whether the work says "question authority" or "hey look at this shade of blue."

I wish more people considered art an asset to a full and educated life. But that's one more reason why I enjoy posting here -- I get to talk with people who do feel that way.
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : What is "Art"? 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7643509
Registration date : 2008-08-20

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 11:10 pm

A concept of imagination.
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : What is "Art"? 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7677252

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 7:10 pm

Up to individual interpretation - I know nothing about art but I know what I like Smile
Back to top Go down
Vampira132
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger
Number of posts : 4606
: : The Victorian Woman in Black
: : What is "Art"? Kalbg0
More Numbers : 7672840

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 7:22 pm

cynfullov wrote:
A concept of imagination.

exactly
Back to top Go down
JJ_Decay
JJ_Decay

Sagittarius Number of posts : 347
More Numbers : 7548576
Registration date : 2008-08-15

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 10:08 pm

If it pleases my eyes then it is a work of art dance

If it doesn't then its ***** devildance
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : What is "Art"? 25883sk
More Numbers : 7412524
Registration date : 2008-11-30

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 11:48 pm

helen damnation wrote:
Up to individual interpretation - I know nothing about art but I know what I like Smile

That's all you need to know, in a lot of cases!
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Lolita Rose
Lolita Rose

Scorpio Horse
Number of posts : 114
: : What is "Art"? Th_cil10
More Numbers : 7569583
Registration date : 2008-07-30

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 4:31 pm

Beside what's been said here, which I agree with, I think art is a way to see the world from another person's perspective. You're getting a small glimpse into their mind. I love how several artists can draw a picture of a single person, and all of them will be unique portraits in their own way.
Back to top Go down
DarkDreamer
DarkDreamer

Pisces Horse
Number of posts : 933
: : What is "Art"? 29cndqs
More Numbers : 7516398
Registration date : 2008-09-09

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 4:16 am

helen damnation wrote:
Up to individual interpretation

Agreed!

A lot of people debate what art is, and there never seem to be clear-cut lines as to what is and is not art. Even with a strong background in art, this is how I see it.

My interpretation is that it must be made by the artist, or if it is a collaborative piece, have credit given where it is due. It also ought to have strong concept behind it, or, if not that, then it must have function; I don't go for simply "pretty" art.
Granted a lot of people will disagree with this, and where I see beautifully executed conceptual work, they will see rubbish; just as others will see beautifully sculpted or painted decorative pieces and I will see nonnery.
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : What is "Art"? Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7680572

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 18, 2010 12:01 pm

I still don't know what Art is, I know what I like and I know what I dont like but is that art or just my perception of art? Then again is art just perception?

Theres this and how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? The world may never know
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com
Sponsored content

What is "Art"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Art"?   What is "Art"? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is "Art"?
Page 1 of 1