TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Synth and Edge Effects video

Go down 
+2
ravengrim
Synth
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Synth
Synth

Aquarius Horse
Number of posts : 578
: : Synth and Edge Effects video S3mrtd
More Numbers : 7577535
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Synth and Edge Effects video Empty
PostSubject: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 7:31 pm

based upon the idea of fairytales and red riding hood and the effect fairytales have had on women.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wMEYMbnG7wI

Synth

xxx
Back to top Go down
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Synth and Edge Effects video Evil10
More Numbers : 7684630
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 9:17 pm

You know Synth,this video is really neat but only because I know you're o.k.
I'm not really familar with The Method Learned Project,what can you tell us about it?
Back to top Go down
Synth
Synth

Aquarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 5:09 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 5:19 am

Synth wrote:
based upon the idea of fairytales and red riding hood and the effect fairytales have had on women.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wMEYMbnG7wI

Synth

xxx

wow, that was really intense.
At first I expected something much more but once I saw what was being done it all synced together. I didn't want to blink just so I could take it all in. Very... unique, deep, intense. I LOVED it. Nicely done! clap
Back to top Go down
witchartist
witchartist

Scorpio Monkey
Number of posts : 73
More Numbers : 7545815
Registration date : 2008-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Whoa...You kept me on the edge of my seat for the entire six + minutes! Nice work and it does give a whole new creepiness (and I mean that as a compliment) to fairytales.
Thanks...I'll sleep better tonight!
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Vermontvisualartists/
edgeeffect
edgeeffect

Aries Horse
Number of posts : 150
: : Synth and Edge Effects video Th_sta10
More Numbers : 7547128
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 7:24 pm

Thanks for your kind comments everyone. Very Happy

And thanks Synth for posting this in the first place. hug

We made another one last year too:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yBfrn3XGOw0

Last edited by edgeeffect on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.edge-effect.co.uk
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : Synth and Edge Effects video Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7679259

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 7:39 pm

OOhhh I'm liking that one a bit more...
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com
edgeeffect
edgeeffect

Aries Horse

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 7:41 pm

endless dark wrote:
OOhhh I'm liking that one a bit more...

Personally, I think the new one is much better.
Artist friends have called the old one "clever", but the new one "beautiful".
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 7:50 pm

Yeah, I'm probably not artsy enough for the "time lapse+slow eery music+dead girl= creepy twist on fairy tail" meh
Back to top Go down
edgeeffect
edgeeffect

Aries Horse

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 8:00 pm

endless dark wrote:
Yeah, I'm probably not artsy enough for the "time lapse+slow eery music+dead girl= creepy twist on fairy tail" meh

*chuckles*
Back to top Go down
witchartist
witchartist

Scorpio Monkey
Number of posts : 73
More Numbers : 7545815
Registration date : 2008-08-16

PostSubject: Oooooooooo   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 4:38 pm

edgeeffect wrote:
Thanks for your kind comments everyone.

We made another one last year too:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yBfrn3XGOw0

I love this one...made my spine tingle Smile It reminds me of when I saw a similar ghostly image in the old part of Edinburgh several years ago.
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Vermontvisualartists/
Synth
Synth

Aquarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 6:15 pm

endless dark wrote:

*Synths arty explaination*

For me this was to represent how fairytales have been used to repress women and so on for so long. The voyeristic view point links in with our general view on history and so on and so forth I could go on for a long time with this...
Back to top Go down
edgeeffect
edgeeffect

Aries Horse

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 6:40 pm

I'd very much appreciate some "going on for a long time". I love the way that your interpretation of this is totally different from mine and yet equally valid.
Back to top Go down
Synth
Synth

Aquarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 6:43 pm

gowan babe whats yours? just a sexy dead girl in nice petticoats eh? ;p!

Other idea

-or you have the big bad wolf for the better of her, simple style
Back to top Go down
edgeeffect
edgeeffect

Aries Horse

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 7:03 pm

Synth wrote:
gowan babe whats yours? just a sexy dead girl in nice petticoats eh? ;p!

Well for me there was the link with G. James Wyrick's poem, hence me putting it into his The Method Learned project http://www.myspace.com/themethodlearned. Which deals with the actual or symbolic death of a loved one.

For me, there is a theme of tragedy / existentialism. This beautiful girl lies dead in the woods... death strikes everyone without warning, without preferences, seemingly at random. Reminding us that we need to live our lives to the fullest because it could be our turn next for all we know.

There's also a Gothic / Romantic theme... Beauty in death... The red cloth spilled from the basket - symbolic of her spilled life blood.

And, yes, there is a voyeuristic / fetishistic theme going on too... the petticoats are nice.

There's no "right" interpretation - and I'd love to hear other people's - we thirst for feedback.
Back to top Go down
Synth
Synth

Aquarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 7:20 pm

hey I was gonna go one about the cloth blood!
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 7:23 pm

Synth wrote:
endless dark wrote:

*Synths arty explaination*

For me this was to represent how fairytales have been used to repress women and so on for so long. The voyeristic view point links in with our general view on history and so on and so forth I could go on for a long time with this...
If you added a stone or two you'd have added strife and conflict grin

(The lack of tone in the font must have lost my attempt at wit)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:03 pm

I don't get it.....

(I think I'm with endless on this one. I like the second one better)
Back to top Go down
edgeeffect
edgeeffect

Aries Horse

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 6:44 am

What don't you get? We're on hand to explain all complexities and ease all misunderstandings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 11:52 am

Well, there's not action to it so it really doesn't tell much of a story. Dead goth girl in the woods could be a lot of things other than how "fairy tales repress women". And even that I don't really see. I love fairytales and I haven't really seen how they repress women. (I'm currently reading my collection of Grim's).

If this is a play off of little red riding hood, how did she get to being dead in the woods? Where's the wolf? The Grandmother? The Woodcutter? And how do they add into your view of repression?

As it stands (my opinion only) it's like a scene within that warped fairytale. Only a glimpse of something far larger.

And I don't mean to be snotty or mean in anyway, I just can't think of another way to phrase it.
Back to top Go down
Synth
Synth

Aquarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 1:12 pm

Nah its cool hun.

Fairytale repress women in many ways, they preach the morals of patriarchy.

Of course this is hugely simplified to cover most fairtales

Young virgin is of prime value and is beautiful and good.
She depends upon a male figure to save her.
The old woman, generally a childless spinster is cast as evil, she does not depend upon men and is not under their thumb.
Often the girl or princess is given as a reward in fairy tales and her emotions regarding this are not mentioned, as when written they were believed unimportant.

Of course this is all interpretation, but if you look at when fairytales were written these values were predominant. If you research medival attitudes towards women you can see many examples of this. For example the chain of being, medieval punishments for women, the witchtrails (how else can you kill off independant women who shun patriarchy?), the belief that women were property (my rib my woman) etc etc

heres some links on Fairytales and Patriarchy. I have a list of reworked fairtales which keep the beauty of fairytales but hold both sexes in an equal stance if you'd like to it, Angela Carter's Bloody Chamber and other short stories is a wonderful example of this with the added gothic imagery, sex and violence and symbolism put back in.

http://www.womenwriters.net/editorials/rakow.html

http://www.answers.com/topic/feminism-and-fairy-tales

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=084OAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=patriarchy+fairytales&source=bl&ots=XMqlZB8dxx&sig=hnyDJ2COp1tFiEGC8303Ef2z-_k&hl=en&ei=psRxSsDkNIzK_gbU54HtCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2

I hope this answers a lot of your queries if not do ask again and EdgeEffect or I will be happy to help I am sure. I do hope I don't come across as snotty either(You didn't don't worry)!

Peace out

Synth

xxx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 2:11 pm

I guess I can see on some where they could be concidered sexist, but at the same time, I' ve read some of the material that predates the fairytales (Eddas and Volsung Cycle anyone?). Take for example Sleeping Beauty and Snow White. Both are poisoned/cursed to fall into a deep sleep and have their "knight in shining armour" come and save them. This is actually a re-write of the story of Brynhild. She was a Valkyrie that went against Othen's word and had someone else win a battle. For that, she was to leave the assembly of Gods and marry into the world. But she had Othin promise that only the greatest warrior, who knew no fear (and therefore her equal) would be her husband. Hence the castle surrounded with flames (re-written in tales as thorns and what not). The story goes on from there, but that's a different story.

And others of Grimm's stories that were collected were actually stories of Gods and Goddesses that the people just didn't want to let go of. But they couldn't really talk about them/worship in open because of "the Holy Roman Empire" and what not so they were transformed into tales.

The thoughts of the women I think were probably left out for ambiguity reasons. To those who knew the stories, and the background growing up would know what the woman's thoughts would have been. The church wouldn't find anything to criticize, and the people would keep their Matrons. It's just with the loss of the back history (and the people telling the tales full conversion to Christianity) that the stories take on a submissive view of women.

....I hope that sounds right.

I was also saying I didn't want to some snotty or anything because I know from personal experience that artists are typically defensive about their work. It's still a great piece, i just didn't really get the translation of the meaning.
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 3:02 pm

Synth wrote:
Nah its cool hun.

Fairytale repress women in many ways, they preach the morals of patriarchy.

Of course this is hugely simplified to cover most fairtales

Young virgin is of prime value and is beautiful and good.
She depends upon a male figure to save her.
The old woman, generally a childless spinster is cast as evil, she does not depend upon men and is not under their thumb.
Often the girl or princess is given as a reward in fairy tales and her emotions regarding this are not mentioned, as when written they were believed unimportant.
thats a little to simplified considering they never go into so much detail about the "spinster" so we don't know if they were ever married or had/have children all we know is they are evil. its aslo important to remember that these fairytales after being "re-vamped" to the better known versions of today that they teach morals good vs evil, right vs wrong ect should you chose to overlook the "woman" and "man" roles and view it in the broader "people" sence... Back the originals though they were something else, I'm not sure if it could be "the repression of women" as much as it is telling a good story although I wont deny that in the days those were written things were far far diffrent than today and todays "repression" was just their every day... As for witch hunts and all that "ownership" deal you'd have to look at christianity, now there is some repression in its finest form (not finest as in I agree with it but finest as in the rating of wine or anything else thats refined to get "better")... Off topic slightly just one more time, Women are easier to tell stories about or give key roles too simply because everyone has some feeling about women. It was no accident that the free spirited un afraid child frankenstein's monster met befriended and then later kills and throws in the river was a girl and not a boy...

nsanelilmunky wrote:
I guess I can see on some where they could be concidered sexist, but at the same time, I' ve read some of the material that predates the fairytales (Eddas and Volsung Cycle anyone?). Take for example Sleeping Beauty and Snow White. Both are poisoned/cursed to fall into a deep sleep and have their "knight in shining armour" come and save them. This is actually a re-write of the story of Brynhild. She was a Valkyrie that went against Othen's word and had someone else win a battle. For that, she was to leave the assembly of Gods and marry into the world. But she had Othin promise that only the greatest warrior, who knew no fear (and therefore her equal) would be her husband. Hence the castle surrounded with flames (re-written in tales as thorns and what not). The story goes on from there, but that's a different story.
Its a good point but I wouldn't put show white in there. Snow white choked on the apple core and when the prince had gotten there he kissed her already in the casket thinking he was to late and it was a bump in the road that knocked the core out and saved her.

Last edited by endless dark on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 4:09 pm

^^I add snow white because it's the same "waking as the price arrives" bit. The legend of Brynhild was a poisonous thorn from the tree of sleep that is removed my Sigurd.

Though that's about where the similarities end. It also depends on which version of snow white you look at.
Back to top Go down
edgeeffect
edgeeffect

Aries Horse

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 4:25 pm

nsanelilmunky wrote:
Well, there's not action to it so it really doesn't tell much of a story. Dead goth girl in the woods could be a lot of things

Ah ha... Yes, the videos I make aren't really intended to be narrative. I use them, mostly, as either "video paintings" in art galleries or as backdrops to my live performances. I've considered making more narrative stuff from time to time but it's not really "me" and, to be honest, I lack the skills to come up with anything like a decent script.

nsanelilmunky wrote:
If this is a play off of little red riding hood, how did she get to being dead in the woods? Where's the wolf? The Grandmother? The Woodcutter?

When synth acted out this scene in the woods, it was part of a longer narrative alrhough, still, no Grandmother, Wolf, or Woodcutter. But, like I said in the last bit, I'm seeking more to create a "video painting" than to tell a complete story. And this series of images seemed to me to be the most striking.

Also, I had in mind to make this a kinda multi-perpose piece as it was also submitted to an online project as a response to a poem. And again Synth being dead in the woods worked really well for that too.
http://www.myspace.com/themethodlearned

nsanelilmunky wrote:
And I don't mean to be snotty or mean in anyway, I just can't think of another way to phrase it.

Good Goth!!! Don't worry my friend. We've had other comments far more deserving of the description "snotty or mean".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Synth and Edge Effects video   Synth and Edge Effects video I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Synth and Edge Effects video
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next