TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Baby Bump Work of Art...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Vampira132
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger
Number of posts : 4606
: : The Victorian Woman in Black
: : Baby Bump Work of Art... Kalbg0
More Numbers : 7672840
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Baby Bump Work of Art... Empty
PostSubject: Baby Bump Work of Art...   Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 6:00 pm

I really thought this was quite creative!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7899618.stm

Baby Bump Work of Art... _45494381_maribumpstage12

A face-painter is appealing for mums-to-be to offer their pregnant bumps as blank canvasses for artwork. So Mari Williams - who is expecting her second child on 12 March - went to try it out.

Dig out Moses basket... check.

Overnight bag... check.

Have bump painted... er, pardon?

Yes, I know. I've just included have pregnant belly painted on my things-to-do-before-baby's-born list.

It sounded strange to me too at first, but it was all in the name of research and I have to admit I was curious.

Apparently, pregnant body painting, or bump-art as the professionals call it, is increasing in popularity.

That's why, three weeks before my due date, I found myself in a lounge on a suburban estate in Flintshire, offering my pale, very big bump as a blank canvas to a complete stranger.

Without wishing to stereotype at all, I was expecting a middle-aged, hippyish woman obsessed with joss-sticks, crystals and Buddha statues.

In reality, Erica Norman is bubbly and welcoming and runs her successful face and body painting business from her immaculate, minimalistic home in New Brighton.

She was encouraged to try this unusual art form through other body painters and friends.

Recently, Erica has been offering her services to mums-to-be for free, in the hope of building her portfolio before charging for her services.

The package includes the painting itself - which normally lasts around two hours - and a professional photoshoot.

She has a range of designs, and is happy to accommodate any personal preferences.

But I was curious to know what kind of people want to invite a stranger to paint on such a personal, and special, part of their body.

"Anyone who wants a nice memento," said Erica.

"At the end of the day I think we should celebrate births and bumps.

"Body painting has always been around, but more people are picking up on this type of body painting now and it's becoming more mainstream.

"I want to offer it as a service to pregnant women. It's a little bit different and it's nice for mums-to-be because it's a chance for them to sit back and relax."

We decided to go give my bump a colourful and vibrant design, and I took my place on the sofa. And Erica's right - being forced to sit still for two hours is a welcome treat.

The process itself is very relaxing, even soothing, and I didn't feel self-conscious at all.

It's a bit like having a massage.

And baby obviously enjoyed the tickles of the brush strokes too, judging by the way the "canvas" suddenly started moving.

I never would have tried it if Erica - who is a mum herself and very reassuring - had not explained that all the paints are water-based and approved for safety by the Face Painting Association.

Some women probably don't see the appeal of taking a photo of their huge, distorted bellies, especially with Michelin-style stretch-marks, veiny skin and wonky belly buttons.

On the other hand, most of us are secretly proud that our body, which we constantly condemn for being too big, too small, too fat, etc etc, is suddenly building, feeding and protecting a new human being. So why not add a lick of paint and some colour?

And when post-natal normality kicks in and we squeeze our dieted, buffed and vain selves back into our size 10 (okay, maybe size 12) jeans, how nice it is to have a memento of that maternal, all-powerful, precious time.

Suddenly, I'm starting to see the appeal and, maybe, Erica could be on to something here.

Last edited by Vampira132 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Baby Bump Work of Art... 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7643509
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Baby Bump Work of Art...   Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 6:18 pm

Aw that is so very cool! I think that would be such a great gift to to give a child that was that belly!!! I think they would feel very special to have that one day!

" That was me !" awww. Smile

ps. Wouldn't it be something to to keep it and not show it to them til they were somewhat older just to see if the picture matches their personality & likes.
Back to top Go down
Vampira132
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger
Number of posts : 4606
: : The Victorian Woman in Black
: : Baby Bump Work of Art... Kalbg0
More Numbers : 7672840

PostSubject: Re: Baby Bump Work of Art...   Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 6:22 pm

^^ I like your last thought Cyn that would be a great idea, plus really spooky if that happened. I wonder what id paint on my belly......
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Baby Bump Work of Art... 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7677252

PostSubject: Re: Baby Bump Work of Art...   Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 6:25 pm

I was that tiny both times that nobody would have known I was pregnant from the back so it wouldnt have worked for me but it does look brilliant and such a lovely gift to give your bumpee later in life Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Baby Bump Work of Art...   Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 6:56 pm

Aww! That's so awesome!
I think it's a most excellent way to "celebrate births".
And I agree with cyn, it would be cool to save them and compare their personalities in life... though I'd imagine it'd be quite saddening to have something so beautiful and happy and end up with a child so... heartbreaking to say the least.

But that dolphin scene... just really... cute and serene. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baby Bump Work of Art...   Baby Bump Work of Art... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baby Bump Work of Art...
Page 1 of 1