TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Game show looks to convert atheists

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Game show looks to convert atheists Evil10
More Numbers : 7685943
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Game show looks to convert atheists Empty
PostSubject: Game show looks to convert atheists   Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 7:38 pm

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - What happens when you put a Muslim imam, a Christian priest, a rabbi and a Buddhist monk in a room with 10 atheists?

Turkish television station Kanal T hopes the answer is a ratings success as it prepares to launch a gameshow where spiritual guides from the four faiths will seek to convert a group of non-believers.

The prize for converts will be a pilgrimage to a holy site of their chosen religion -- Mecca for Muslims, the Vatican for Christians, Jerusalem for Jews and Tibet for Buddhists.

But religious authorities in Muslim but secular Turkey are not amused by the twist on the popular reality game show format and the Religious Affairs Directorate is refusing to provide an imam for the show.

"Doing something like this for the sake of ratings is disrespectful to all religions. Religion should not be a subject for entertainment programs," High Board of Religious Affairs Chairman Hamza Aktan told state news agency Anatolian after news of the planned program emerged.

The makers of "Penitents Compete" are unrepentant and reject claims that the show, scheduled to begin broadcasting in September, will cheapen religion.

"We are giving the biggest prize in the world, the gift of belief in God," Kanal T chief executive Seyhan Soylu told Reuters.

"We don't approve of anyone being an atheist. God is great and it doesn't matter which religion you believe in. The important thing is to believe," Soylu said.

The project focuses attention on the issue of religious identity in European Union-candidate Turkey, where rights groups have raised concerns over freedom of religion for non-Muslim minorities.

Detractors of the ruling AK Party government, which is rooted in political Islam but officially secular, accuse it of having a hidden Islamist agenda, a charge it denies.

Some 200 people have so far applied to take part in the show and the 10 contestants will be chosen next month.

A team of theologians will ensure that the atheists are truly non-believers and are not just seeking fame or a free holiday.

Sounds like an intresting idea.
It's something I'd watch on t.v.,if nothing else it looks to be thought provoking.
Back to top Go down
albinasamara
albinasamara

Gemini Rooster
Number of posts : 338
: : Game show looks to convert atheists 2cf2wwg
More Numbers : 7580212
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Game show looks to convert atheists   Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 am

That pisses me off. The greatest prize in the world? Sheesh. As if all atheists are just waiting for someone to convert them and "give" them belief or faith. If a person has that, it should come from within.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/albinasamara
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : Game show looks to convert atheists Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7584553
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Game show looks to convert atheists   Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 10:43 am

Strange. It says there will be a Rabbi. Ya know, in Judaism, Rabbis don't seek to convert people like in Chrsitianity. In fact, the more conservative or Orthodox branches of Judaism refuse people for conversion outright, unless the person can really demonstrate that he/she really really really wants to be a Jew. From convert.org: "Some traditional rabbis may actively discourage potential converts by turning them away three times. This is a test of how sincere the would-be convert is in wishing to become Jewish. Other rabbis are more welcoming right from the initial contact."

So, um, there's something fishy about a Rabbi who participates in a show like this.

Last edited by La Diva Carlotta on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game show looks to convert atheists   Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 11:45 am

I'm really wondering about the atheists also. Most ones I know are very defensive about their beliefs or lack there of.
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Game show looks to convert atheists 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7677252
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Game show looks to convert atheists   Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 5:46 pm

That's a gift I'd give back sick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game show looks to convert atheists   Game show looks to convert atheists I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1