TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Money Relieves Pain

Go down 
+4
TheDarkHippie
Ginger_Snaps
cynfullov
ravengrim
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Money Relieves Pain Evil10
More Numbers : 7696447
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Money Relieves Pain Empty
PostSubject: Money Relieves Pain   Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 11:02 pm

Money Relieves Pain

Money dulls physical pain and eases the sting of social rejection, new research shows.

Through six experiments, psychologists and a marketing professor probed the power of money as a proxy for social acceptance. Among their results, they found that merely touching bills or thinking about expenses paid affected the participants both physically and emotionally.

Because it affects pain, money may be a clue to how the brain evolved to process social interactions, the researchers wrote in a paper published in the June edition of the journal Psychological Science.

In one experiment, 84 undergraduate student volunteers were divided into two groups and asked to take a "finger-dexterity test." One group counted 80 $100 bills from a stack, the other group counted paper. Afterward, the volunteers played Cyberball, a computer game in which four players passed a ball to each other. They were told that they were playing with three real people, but in fact a computer simulated the other players. In half of the games, all the players received the ball an equal number of times, but the other half was rigged against the human players, excluding them after 10 passes.

Those who played the rigged version of Cyberball reported that they felt snubbed. But, on average, those who had counted money before playing rated their level of social distress lower than those who had counted paper.

To test money’s effect on physical pain, 96 recruits were split into two groups and counted either money or paper. Then an assistant strapped down their left hands and dipped their fingers in hot water with a temperature of 122 degrees Fahrenheit (50 degrees Celsius). On average, those who counted money rated their pain lower than those who counted paper.

The scientists wondered if money may have just been a distraction that took the volunteers' minds off their pain, so they repeated the experiments, but this time without the bills. Instead, they asked half of the participants to write about their expenses in the past month and the other half wrote about the weather. Then they either played Cyberball or dipped their fingers in hot water. Simply writing about spent money caused social distress, the participants reported. And it intensified the pain of the hot water and the social snub of rigged Cyberball.

"These effects speak to the power of money, even as a symbol, to change perceptions of very real feelings," like pain, said Kathleen Vohs, a marketing professor at the University of Minnesota and co-author of the study.

The results prop up earlier studies showing that money's effect on our emotions stems from its symbolic power in social interactions, the researchers wrote. It stands in for acceptance and popularity, and allows those who have it to get what they want from the vast social network on which we depend — regardless of whether they are well liked or not.

Its physical effects may be tied up in the early evolution of those social interactions. Earlier research by psychologists Geoff MacDonald at the University of Toronto and Mark Leary at Duke University has showed a link between psychological pain and physical pain. The emerging hypothesis is that early in the evolution of social interactions, our brains took a shortcut to handle the new system: instead of laying down new biological hardware to process things like relationships and culture, human brains hacked their older hardware that deals with physical pain and gave it the double duty of handling social interactions.

Two final experiments in the study suggested that people who feel rejected or physically hurt have a higher desire for money than those who don't. The results dovetail with work by University of Rochester psychologist Edward Deci, he said. Deci has written about well-being and the pursuit of different kinds of goals.

"People want money more and are soothed by it when they are not experiencing deeper need satisfaction, but the satisfaction of money is superficial and is not enduring," Deci said.

These results could help explain some puzzles about money, said the study’s lead author, Xinyue Zhou, a psychologist at Sun Yat-Sen University in Guangzhou, China. He said it could lead to a clearer picture of how people become addicted to making money. And his work justifies court-ordered financial compensation to victims of battery, he said. If money is linked to physical pain, then making attackers pay their victims is a punishment that suits the crime, he said.

A very intresting story.Unfortunatly I guess it just goes to show during hard times everybody hurts.The ones with the least probably suffer most though.
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Money Relieves Pain 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7654013
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Money Relieves Pain   Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 am

I want to know the size of the paper that was used. If it was legal size, then of course people who had counted bills would be better off simply because the size of money, when counting, allows you to hold the stack in one hand and go quicker through physically counting . Thus suping up ones reflexes rather and stimulas.

Larger sized paper on the other hand requires a whole different type of motion and can not be accomplished as quickly when being counted. A solid color sheet of white paper is also less enthusing to look upon while counting as well as less of a distractent for the brain.

How many here would say that when they have been in pain, that pain was worse during times when there is less outside stimulas being registered?

Money also can buy you painrelievers. So I can see it's importance there and a desire for it.

My comps being poopie. I'll get back to more on this later hopefully.

Last edited by cynfullov on Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Money Relieves Pain Bjevig
More Numbers : 7594093
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Money Relieves Pain   Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 3:51 am

"Oh snap, I broke my leg."

"Here's a hundred dollars."

"Thanks, I feel better now."
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
TheDarkHippie
TheDarkHippie

Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 1101
: : Money Relieves Pain Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7356574
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Money Relieves Pain   Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 7:31 pm

Oh how ridiculous. It shows just how superficial society today is.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/joanestabrook#/profile.php?id=757050283&
Emmature
Emmature

Virgo Pig
Number of posts : 1038
: : Money Relieves Pain 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7368514
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Money Relieves Pain   Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 9:10 pm

The world is a funner place without my glasses-
I thought this article was called "Monkey relieves pain."

But money... by this logic i should be happy because i give people change at work all the time :?
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : Money Relieves Pain Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7691076

PostSubject: Re: Money Relieves Pain   Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 9:24 pm

to a certain extent money does indeed relieve pain. The more money you have the better insurance you can afford and the better medical care you get, or I guess if you had the money to flat out pay for something you wouldn't need insurance...
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : Money Relieves Pain Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7595057
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Money Relieves Pain   Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 11:23 pm

^^Ha! Ain't that the truth!
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Money Relieves Pain 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7687756

PostSubject: Re: Money Relieves Pain   Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 5:55 pm

Bollocks. Money brings pain, greed and selfishness.

Half a bottle of Jack Daniels will ease any pain going naughty
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Money Relieves Pain   Money Relieves Pain I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Money Relieves Pain
Page 1 of 1