TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Egyptian Underworld Found?

Go down 
+3
Ginger_Snaps
helen damnation
ravengrim
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Egyptian Underworld Found? Empty
PostSubject: Egyptian Underworld Found?   Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 3:37 pm

Cave Complex Allegedly Found Under Giza Pyramids

Quote :
Rossella Lorenzi, Discovery News
Aug. 13, 2009 -- An enormous system of caves, chambers and tunnels lies hidden beneath the Pyramids of Giza, according to a British explorer who claims to have found the lost underworld of the pharaohs.

Populated by bats and venomous spiders, the underground complex was found in the limestone bedrock beneath the pyramid field at Giza.

"There is untouched archaeology down there, as well as a delicate ecosystem that includes colonies of bats and a species of spider which we have tentatively identified as the white widow," British explorer Andrew Collins said.

Collins, who will detail his findings in the book "Beneath the Pyramids" to be published in September, tracked down the entrance to the mysterious underworld after reading the forgotten memoirs of a 19th century diplomat and explorer.

"In his memoirs, British consul general Henry Salt recounts how he investigated an underground system of 'catacombs' at Giza in 1817 in the company of Italian explorer Giovanni Caviglia," Collins said.

The document records that the two explored the caves for a distance of "several hundred yards," coming upon four large chambers from which stretched further cave passageways.

With the help of British Egyptologist Nigel Skinner-Simpson, Collins reconstructed Salt's exploration on the plateau, eventually locating the entrance to the lost catacombs in an apparently unrecorded tomb west of the Great Pyramid.

Indeed, the tomb featured a crack in the rock, which led into a massive natural cave.

"We explored the caves before the air became too thin to continue. They are highly dangerous, with unseen pits and hollows, colonies of bats and venomous spiders," said Collins.

According to Collins, the caves -- which are tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of years old -- may have both inspired the development of the pyramid field and the ancient Egyptian's belief in an underworld.

"Ancient funerary texts clearly allude to the existence of a subterranean world in the vicinity of the Giza pyramids," Collins told Discovery News.

Indeed, Giza was known anciently as Rostau, meaning the "mouth of the passages."

This is the same name as a region of the ancient Egyptian underworld known as the Duat.

"The 'mouth of the passages' is unquestionably a reference to the entrance to a subterranean cave world, one long rumored to exist beneath the plateau," Collins told Discovery News.

Collins' claim is expected to cause a stir in the Egyptological world.

Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, has dismissed the discovery.

"There are no new discoveries to be made at Giza. We know everything about the plateau," he stated.

But Collins remarks that after extensive research, he found no mention of the caves in modern times.

"To the best of our knowledge nothing has ever been written or recorded about these caves since Salt’️s explorations. If Hawass does have any report related to these caves, we have yet to see it," Collins said.

I'm personally a history junkie. Also with myths and such. I just find this freakin' sweet. I wonder what all is down there? Sure, they're going to have to don oxygen masks to explore down there, but I think it'd be worth it.
Back to top Go down
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Egyptian Underworld Found? Evil10
More Numbers : 7687256
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian Underworld Found?   Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 3:57 pm

That's really cool nsane.If this guy can substanciate his claims it would be incredible to see it.
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Egyptian Underworld Found? 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7678565
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian Underworld Found?   Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 5:43 pm

Now THAT is something that I would love to hear more about.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Egyptian Underworld Found? Bjevig
More Numbers : 7584902
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian Underworld Found?   Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 10:33 pm

That is an awesome find.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
deadcoldgothgirl
supernova
deadcoldgothgirl

Sagittarius Snake
Number of posts : 6332
: : Egyptian Underworld Found? S3mrtd
More Numbers : 7583692
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian Underworld Found?   Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 11:11 pm

I would love to be one of the people exploring that... I would also love to be on an explore mission for atlantis. I love history as well. Those are two of the 10 or 15 things I'm majorly interested in in history.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/gothic_freak
PorcelainPirate
PorcelainPirate

Pisces Snake
Number of posts : 69
More Numbers : 7099479
Registration date : 2009-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian Underworld Found?   Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 12:08 pm

There have been indications that there could be an extensive underground complex at Giza for a long time, but the Egyptian government have been reluctant to allow further research and exploration.
If this story becomes well-known, perhaps public opinion will cause them to reconsider, especially considering (assuming there is substantial evidence for this), that this demonstrates something far more extensive than has been proven in the past!
Back to top Go down
TheDarkHippie
TheDarkHippie

Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 1101
: : Egyptian Underworld Found? Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7347383
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian Underworld Found?   Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 pm

OMG!!!!! I too am a major history junkie and right now, my inner archeologist is just jumping with joy!! (I wish to become an egyptologist...)I want to explore those. really badly. I'll deal with poisionous spiders and oxygen tanks.... hopefully by time i graduate they will allow them to be explored! This is an amazing find.... Someone want to buy me a plane ticket to Egypt???
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/joanestabrook#/profile.php?id=757050283&
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian Underworld Found?   Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 8:20 pm

My inner Lara Croft would be tickled if I were near Giza. It would be so cool to explore something that has not been seen by human eyes in millennias.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian Underworld Found?   Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 8:22 pm

Ginger_Snaps wrote:
My inner Lara Croft ...

Lol. You know, I think you and I are more similar than I thought.
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Egyptian Underworld Found? 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7644822
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian Underworld Found?   Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 6:21 pm

I bet there'sa spaceship down there with a being in the pilot's seat, where it died laughing itself silly.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian Underworld Found?   Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 7:40 pm

I wonder what the skeleton would look like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian Underworld Found?   Egyptian Underworld Found? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Egyptian Underworld Found?
Page 1 of 1