TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Banned Books I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Banned Books I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Banned Books I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Banned Books I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Banned Books I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Banned Books I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Banned Books I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Banned Books I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Banned Books I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Banned Books I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Banned Books I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Banned Books I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Banned Books I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Banned Books

Go down 
+5
helen damnation
TheDarkHippie
Spooky
SweetVervain
ravengrim
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Banned Books Evil10
More Numbers : 7695134
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 2:28 am

Gay penguins book is most banned

Authors, artists and musicians are due to gather at a library in San Francisco to protest against the banning of books in schools and libraries in the US.

The event, part of the 27th annual Banned Books Week, has been organised by the American Library Association.

Since 2001 bans on 3,736 books and other materials have been requested.

In recent years, And Tango Makes Three - based on a true story and centring on gay penguins in New York's Central Park Zoo - has had the most ban requests.

The book's authors are Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell.

In a statement to the BBC on Friday, Mr Richardson said: "It's regrettable that some parents believe reading a true story about two male penguins hatching an egg will damage their children's moral development.

"They are entitled to express their beliefs, but not to inflict them on others."

Reasons given by organisations and individuals for their requests to get it removed from public shelves, include "anti-ethnic, anti-family, homosexuality, religious viewpoint, and unsuited to age group".

Other works featuring in the most-challenged books list for 2008 include Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials and Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner.

Parents' concern

Pullman told Britain's Guardian newspaper that he was glad to be on the list.

However he added: "Of course it's a worry when anybody takes it upon themselves to dictate what people should or should not read."

The association said the aim of the annual awareness week, which ends on Saturday, is to remind US citizens not to take their freedom for granted.

Among those at the San Francisco Public Library event will be authors and musicians Ben Fong-Torres, Richie Unterberger and Roy Zimmerman.

They plan to stage a number of performances and defend controversial books.

In 2008 the American Library Association recorded 517 ban and restriction requests. Seventy-four were successful.

The organisation recorded that the most common reason given was that contents were too "sexually explicit".

Other classic literature subjected to complaints include JD Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling also feature on the list.

Earlier this week, it was claimed that Harry Potter author JK Rowling missed out on the Presidential Medal of Freedom because some US politicians believed she "encouraged witchcraft".

Banned Books

And Tango Makes Three, by Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell
His Dark Materials trilogy, by Philip Pullman
TTYL; TTFN; L8R, G8R (series), by Lauren Myracle
Scary Stories (series), by Alvin Schwartz
Bless Me, Ultima, by Rudolfo Anaya
The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky
Gossip Girl (series), by Cecily von Ziegesar
Uncle Bobby's Wedding, by Sarah S. Brannen
The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini
Flashcards of My Life, by Charise Mericle Harper

It's sad really.
I loved the His Dark Materials trilogy.It was a great reading experience.
I've always hated that society still bans books,they're just ideas strung together in a hopefully well written way.
But I guess the flip side is having something out there filled with hate and racist ideals,the book Hitker wrote (which I'm not going to give any exposure here by mentioning the title) comes to mind.
Back to top Go down
SweetVervain
SweetVervain

Taurus Pig
Number of posts : 123
: : Banned Books Th_cil10
More Numbers : 7031260
Registration date : 2009-09-20

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 9:12 am

“The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame."
I completely agree with Oscar Wilde here.
Back to top Go down
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster
Number of posts : 1421
: : Banned Books 6tpz4k
More Numbers : 7582614
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 10:35 am

The banning of books is an amazing archaic practice, especially in today's world where if someone was willing, they could order it online from elsewhere.

Interesting how most books that are up for "banning", are people who are following the strict rules of their religious-fiction books. And Tango Makes Three and The Kite Runner are banned, because the people who read ancient books which condone rape, murder, execution, incest, plague and genocide find the penguins and kites to be indecent.

I'm still waiting on the Harry Potter books to spark an Inquisition which will lead to the genocide of nearly five major religions across three continents.

I guess it must be hard for the bible-belt to just let their kids know that Harry Potter is all make-believe, because they're teaching their kids that burning bushes talk to people and you can live inside the belly of a whale.

Side note: Mien Kampf is an amazing book, and though filled with a fair share of propaganda, is also a direct insight into the mind of one of the most influential and important human beings to ever live. The men and women who changed the world, rarely left us their actual words to read, but rather historians and followers to do so. I wish Napoleon Bonaparte, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, Genghis Khan, Darius The Great, Alexander The Great, Julius Caesar, and a hundred others were able to have wrote books about their own lives and desires as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fetishfactory.com

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 11:38 am

*sigh* America, please quit trying to turn the country into a nation of ignorants. Regardless of what the saying is, ignorance is not bliss.
Back to top Go down
TheDarkHippie
TheDarkHippie

Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 1101
: : Banned Books Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7355261
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 4:04 pm

Spooky wrote:

I'm still waiting on the Harry Potter books to spark an Inquisition which will lead to the genocide of nearly five major religions across three continents.

I guess it must be hard for the bible-belt to just let their kids know that Harry Potter is all make-believe, because they're teaching their kids that burning bushes talk to people and you can live inside the belly of a whale.

Haha, have you met my mom yet?? (heck, head to my part of TN) She is one of those who HATES Harry Potter. (alot of 'em are) I was banned from anything Harry Potter for forever. (then I unbanned myself..lol) I guess it would be. Never thought of it that way. Almost every church down there just says that the books are evil and witchcraft and shouldn't be read (or watched). Especially the older generation. Talk about getting some hateful looks when you read those books during a sermon. tongue Down south they ban alot of books from the schools too. One, Siddartha, was banned because it talked about breast feeding and some guy lusting after a woman or something stupid like that. That kinda just pissed me off, the older generation there is soooo conservative it is just nuts.

And I agree with you Nsane, ignorance is not bliss, it is annoyance.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/joanestabrook#/profile.php?id=757050283&
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Banned Books 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7686443

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 5:22 pm

SweetVervain wrote:
“The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame."

clap Words of wisdom from the wonderful Mr Wilde who knew a thing or two about alleged immorality
Back to top Go down
Emmature
Emmature

Virgo Pig
Number of posts : 1038
: : Banned Books 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7367201
Registration date : 2009-01-08

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 9:13 pm

My friends in high school sought the books that were removed from our library. My friend Clint bought a copy of "Catcher in the Rye" and we each took a week with it. Same with "As the Caged Bird Sings" and "Fight Club". We wrote on these books or presented them to the class for book reports. I highly recommend that the teenagers among us do the same. You guys are on the front lines- let 'em know you won't let your minds be chained!
Back to top Go down

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 9:49 pm

You know... thinking back, I don't think my school banned anything but smut and religious material (bibles, koran, ...the jewish one..)from the library. I had absolutely no interest in reading them then. We were required to read Sidartha, Lord of the Flies, Cry the Beloved Country, Damien, and a few others. Since I didn't want to read them, I didn't. Had they been banned, I probably would have.

Maybe this in some way is actually beneficial to the students?
Back to top Go down

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 9:51 pm

Spooky wrote:

Side note: Mien Kampf is an amazing book, and though filled with a fair share of propaganda, is also a direct insight into the mind of one of the most influential and important human beings to ever live. The men and women who changed the world, rarely left us their actual words to read, but rather historians and followers to do so. I wish Napoleon Bonaparte, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, Genghis Khan, Darius The Great, Alexander The Great, Julius Caesar, and a hundred others were able to have wrote books about their own lives and desires as well.

Banned Books 219
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Banned Books 25883sk
More Numbers : 7421715
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 10:17 pm

^^ haha!

nsanelilmunky wrote:
*sigh* America, please quit trying to turn the country into a nation of ignorants. Regardless of what the saying is, ignorance is not bliss.

Exactly. Ignorance lays the groundwork for fearmongering. And from fear comes control of, and violence toward, the "different" ones.
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Emmature
Emmature

Virgo Pig

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 11:05 pm

nsanelilmunky wrote:

Banned Books 219

BWAHAHAHA!!!!!
Back to top Go down

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 6:02 pm

SweetVervain wrote:

Thank you for the awesome quote. I just used it in an assignment discussion about violent videogames. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Banned Books Bjevig
More Numbers : 7592780
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 9:59 pm

Banning anything only serves to make people want to seek it out even more.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
SweetVervain
SweetVervain

Taurus Pig

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 5:02 pm

Ginger_Snaps wrote:

I know! Being on the ALA's list of the most frequently challenged only increases a book's appeal for me!
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Banned Books 25883sk
More Numbers : 7421715
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 10:07 am

^^ That's good to hear. Seeking out "forbidden" knowledge is an intellectually healthy pursuit. It also sets you apart from the kind of people who only accept the knowledge that's spoon-fed to them.

I'm a fan of learning what "they" don't want you to learn. grin
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
SweetVervain
SweetVervain

Taurus Pig

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 5:25 pm

^Yeah, exactly! dance
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 7592780
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 12:02 am

Forbidden knowledge sets one free.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
Emmature
Emmature

Virgo Pig

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 1:03 am

SweetVervain wrote:
Ginger_Snaps wrote:
I know! Being on the ALA's list of the most frequently challenged only increases a book's appeal for me!

That's how my friends and I were! We never would have read "Catcher in the Rye" had it not been banned. You go girl!
Back to top Go down
SweetVervain
SweetVervain

Taurus Pig

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 9:07 am

^I love The Catcher in the Rye!
Back to top Go down
Nightmistress
Nightmistress

Sagittarius Goat
Number of posts : 491
More Numbers : 7588080
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 4:31 pm

The more they do that the more I want to read it. That's what happened with American Psycho I heard about all these people trying to ban the book and I wanted to read it to see what was so bad about it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/XwhipsXchainsXhandcuffs
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Banned Books 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7686443

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Detracting somewhat from books but definitely on the banning front, I remember when "Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood was released and banned by Radio 1 in the UK.

Oh yes it quite literally shot up the charts. I made my Daddy go and buy my copy naughty Laughing
Back to top Go down
Emmature
Emmature

Virgo Pig

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 8:44 pm

^Bwahaha! You naughty girl! You know what filth that danceable song speaks of!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Banned Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banned Books   Banned Books I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Banned Books
Page 1 of 1