TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex

Go down 
+3
cynfullov
RedAngel
ravengrim
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex Evil10
More Numbers : 7696447
Registration date : 2008-07-21

First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex Empty
PostSubject: First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex   First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 10:12 pm

First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex

She lived at the dawn of a new era, when chimps and people began walking (or climbing) along their own evolutionary trails. This is Ardi - the oldest member of the human family tree we've found so far.
Short, hairy and with long arms, she roamed the forests of Africa 4.4million years ago.

Her discovery, reported in detail for the first time today, sheds light on a crucial period when we were just leaving the trees. Some scientists said she could provide evidence that our ancestors first started walking upright in the pursuit of sex.

Conventional wisdom says our earliest ancestors first stood up on two legs when they moved out of the forest and into the open savannas. But this does not explain why Ardi's species was bipedal (able to walk on two legs) while still living partly in the trees.
Owen Lovejoy from Kent State University said the answer could be as simple as food and sex.

He pointed out that throughout evolution males have fought with other males for the right to mate with fertile females. Therefore you would expect dominant males with big fierce canines to pass their genes down the generations.
But say a lesser male, with small stubby teeth realised he could entice a fertile female into mating by bringing her some food? Males would be far more successful food-providers if they had their hands free to carry home items like fruit and roots if they walked on two legs.
Mr Lovejoy said this could explain why males from Ardi's species had small canines and stood upright - it was all in the pursuit of sex.
He added that it could also suggest that monogamous relationships may be far older than was first thought.
Ardi - short for Ardipithecus ramidus or 'root of the ground ape' - stood 4ft tall and weighed 110lb.
She lived a million years before the famous Lucy, the previous earliest skeleton of a hominid who was dug up in 1974.
Experts believe Ardi is very, very close to the 'missing link' common ancestor of humans and chimps, thought to have lived five to seven million years ago.
'This is not that common ancestor, but it's the closest we have ever been able to come,' said Dr Tim White, director of the Human Evolution Research Centre at the University of California, Berkeley, who reports the discovery today in Science. The first fossilised and crushed bones of Ardi were found in 1994 in Ethiopia's Afar Rift.
But it has taken an international team of 47 scientists 17 years to piece together, analyse and describe the remains.
Ardi's skeleton had been trampled and scattered, while the skull was crushed to just two inches in height.

Despite this, Dr David Pilbeam, curator of palaeoanthropology at Harvard's Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology said: 'This is one of the most important discoveries for the study of human evolution.
'It is relatively complete in that it preserves head, hands, feet, and some critical parts in between.'

Researchers have pieced together 125 fragments of bone - including much of her skull, hands, feet, arms, legs and pelvis - which were dated using the volcanic layers of soil above and below the find.

The results were surprising. Previously, scientists believed that our common ancestor would have been very chimp-like, and that ancient hominids such as Ardi would still have much in common with them.
But she was not suited like a modern- day chimp to swinging or hanging from trees or walking on her knuckles.
This suggests that chimps and gorillas developed those characteristics after the split with humans - challenging the idea that they are merely an 'unevolved' version of us.
Ardi's feet were rigid enough to allow her to walk upright some of the time, but she still had a grasping big toe for use in climbing trees.

And she had long arms but short palms and fingers which were flexible, allowing her to support her body weight on her palms.
Her upper canine teeth are more like the stubby teeth of modern people than the long, sharp ones of chimps. An analysis of her tooth enamel suggests she ate fruit, nuts and leaves.
Scientists believe she was a female because her skull is relatively small and lightly built. Her teeth were also smaller than other members of the same family that were found later.
Alan Walker, of Pennsylvania Sate University, told Science: 'These things were very odd creatures. You know what Tim (White) once said: 'If you wanted to find something that moved like these things you'd have to go to the bar in Star Wars'.'
Since the discovery, scientists have unearthed another 35 members of the Ardipithecus family.
Ardi was found in alongside crumbling fossils of 29 species of birds and 20 species of small mammals - including owls, parrots, shrews, bats and mice.

Lucy, also found in Africa, thrived a million years after Ardi and was of the more human-like genus Australopithecus.

'In Ardipithecus we have an unspecialized form that hasn't evolved very far in the direction of Australopithecus. So when you go from head to toe, you're seeing a mosaic creature that is neither chimpanzee, nor is it human. It is Ardipithecus,' said Dr White.

The article is a whole lot longer than the limit here will allow me to post.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex 25883sk
More Numbers : 7423028
Registration date : 2008-11-30

First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex Empty
PostSubject: Re: First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex   First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 10:06 am

My husband and I watched the special on Ardi last night. Walking makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint: Fella carries food back to the den, Lady says "thanks hon!" and is more open to mating.

The special was really interesting. Wish I caught all of it, but I was periodically nodding off. blush
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7654013
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex   First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 11:50 am

But say a lesser male, with small stubby teeth realised he could entice a fertile female into mating by bringing her some food? Males would be far more successful food-providers if they had their hands free to carry home items like fruit and roots if they walked on two legs.

mmm, I'm not believing in the male getting sex part reasoning of that. I think the walking upright would have been more out of fighting. When animals fight, the one that can get over head of the other has the advantage and if you don't need your hands in order to move around you can hold a rock or club in them and BASH'EM IN THE HEAD!

And I'm pretty sure females didn't wander far from their pack. Would have probably had a head male in charge that wouldn't just let a lesser male waltz in with nuts in hand go breeding with his females. Being said to be smaller too, who's to say that the females didn't start walking on two legs in order to get their own food.
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7691076

PostSubject: Re: First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex   First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 11:51 am

RedAngel wrote:
My husband and I watched the special on Ardi last night. Walking makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint: Fella carries food back to the den, Lady says "thanks hon!" and is more open to mating.

The special was really interesting. Wish I caught all of it, but I was periodically nodding off. blush

I saw it too... most of it, I'm hopeing they show it again when I'm more awake... when they showed what they think they looked like in the foresty envirenment I thought the baby one looked like a monchichi

First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex 16c5mdd

the adult one looks like some of the bigfoot reports too... odd
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com

PostSubject: Re: First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex   First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 2:32 pm

If only I had cable....
Back to top Go down
angelofthenight
star member

Scorpio Tiger
Number of posts : 5158
: : The Pumpkin Queen
: : First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7590817
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex   First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 4:31 pm

I started watching about thislast night until the bf got bored and changed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blkgothchick
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex Bjevig
More Numbers : 7594093
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex   First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 8:30 pm

cynfullov wrote:

mmm, I'm not believing in the male getting sex part reasoning of that. I think the walking upright would have been more out of fighting. When animals fight, the one that can get over head of the other has the advantage and if you don't need your hands in order to move around you can hold a rock or club in them and BASH'EM IN THE HEAD!

And I'm pretty sure females didn't wander far from their pack. Would have probably had a head male in charge that wouldn't just let a lesser male waltz in with nuts in hand go breeding with his females. Being said to be smaller too, who's to say that the females didn't start walking on two legs in order to get their own food.

The explanation was that the males with longer canines were more apt to fight each other and be aggressive towards each other for mating rights, whereas the ones with smaller canines couldn't fight so in order to mate they would bring food to the female.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7654013
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex   First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 10:44 am

Smile
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7687756

PostSubject: Re: First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex   First ape woman suggests human ancestors may have started walking in pursuit of sex I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Sounds like charm works on a girl every time!
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1