TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
NASA finds 'significant' water on moon I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
NASA finds 'significant' water on moon I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
NASA finds 'significant' water on moon I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
NASA finds 'significant' water on moon I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
NASA finds 'significant' water on moon I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
NASA finds 'significant' water on moon I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
NASA finds 'significant' water on moon I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
NASA finds 'significant' water on moon I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
NASA finds 'significant' water on moon I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
NASA finds 'significant' water on moon I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
NASA finds 'significant' water on moon I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
NASA finds 'significant' water on moon I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
NASA finds 'significant' water on moon I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

NASA finds 'significant' water on moon

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : NASA finds 'significant' water on moon Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7687137
Registration date : 2008-07-21

NASA finds 'significant' water on moon Empty
PostSubject: NASA finds 'significant' water on moon   NASA finds 'significant' water on moon I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 10:13 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/11/13/water.moon.nasa/index.html

Quote :
(CNN) -- NASA said Friday it had discovered water on the moon, opening "a new chapter" that could allow for the development of a lunar space station.

The discovery was announced by project scientist Anthony Colaprete at a midday news conference.

"I'm here today to tell you that indeed, yes, we found water. And we didn't find just a little bit; we found a significant amount" -- about a dozen, two-gallon bucketfuls, he said, holding up several white plastic containers.

The find is based on preliminary data collected when the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite, or LCROSS, intentionally crashed October 9 into the permanently shadowed region of Cabeus crater near the moon's south pole.

After the satellite struck, a rocket flew through the debris cloud, measuring the amount of water and providing a host of other data, Colaprete said.

The project team concentrated on data from the satellite's spectrometers, which provide the best information about the presence of water, Colaprete said. A spectrometer helps identify the composition of materials by examining light they emit or absorb.

Although the goal of the $79 million mission was to determine whether there is water on the moon, discoveries in other areas are expected as studies progress, Colaprete and other scientists said at the briefing at NASA's Ames Research Center at Moffett Field near San Francisco, California.

"The discovery opens a new chapter in our understanding of the moon," the space agency said in a written statement shortly after the briefing began.

Michael Wargo, chief lunar scientist at NASA headquarters in Washington, said the latest discovery also could unlock the mysteries of the solar system.

He listed several options as sources for the water, including solar winds, comets, giant molecular clouds or even the moon itself through some kind of internal activity. The Earth also may have a role, Wargo said.

"If the water that was formed or deposited is billions of years old, these polar cold traps could hold a key to the history and evolution of the solar system, much as an ice core sample taken on Earth reveals ancient data," NASA said in its statement.

"In addition, water and other compounds represent potential resources that could sustain future lunar exploration."

link has a video...
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : NASA finds 'significant' water on moon 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7650074
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: NASA finds 'significant' water on moon   NASA finds 'significant' water on moon I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 5:45 pm

There's where the too many people on the earth are gonna go nsane!!!!

Their going to stick'em US!!! scream <- on the moon either minning or maybe as as sort of a "moon colony."
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : NASA finds 'significant' water on moon Bjevig
More Numbers : 7590154
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: NASA finds 'significant' water on moon   NASA finds 'significant' water on moon I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 8:20 pm

The question of how water got on the earth could possibly be explained by mining data from the moon. The moon was broken off from the earth eons ago when a large astral body collided with the earth when it was still in it's molten rock stage; that body could have had elements of water and carbon on it, or whatever astral body that could have implanted the life giving elements once the earth had cooled.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NASA finds 'significant' water on moon   NASA finds 'significant' water on moon I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NASA finds 'significant' water on moon
Page 1 of 1