TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages

Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help

Go down 
+4
Vampira132
helen damnation
GhostRed
ravengrim
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help Evil10
More Numbers : 7687256
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help Empty
PostSubject: Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help   Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 11:50 pm

Goth Music: The Early Years

OK--students in my cultural studies course had a bit of a crisis because half of their presentation group dropped out. They are doing a presentation on the Goth subculture and the two members that dropped out were covering the music. So I offered to help out with an introduction to the roots of the Goth sound (as a non-expert)... here is what I came up with, anyone want to suggest additions?

1970s: The Early Influences

Siouxsie and the Banshees:
Formed in 1976, early British punk contemporary of the Sex Pistols and The Clash. Very influential on the later Goth subculture, especially Siouxsie’s sense of style.

Nicotine Stain

Joy Division:
Formed in 1976 in post-industrial, working-class Manchester. Their music had a deep somber aspect, yet was powerful and driving. Broke up in 1978 when the lead singer Ian Curtis committed suicide prior to their first major tour of the USA.

Dead Souls (later covered by Nine Inch Nails and used in the 1994 film The Crow)

trailer for the 2008 British film Control

Bauhaus:
Formed in 1978, and after only six months together as a band they recorded six songs including:

Bela Lugosi’s Dead (Studio)

Dark Entries (Live)

The Cure:
First formed as the Art School band Obelisk in 1973, it became The Cure with Robert Smith as the lead singer in 1978.

The Lullaby

Sisters of Mercy:
Formed in Leeds in 1980.

Alice

It's not his fault and he's asking for help so does anyone have any ideas to give him a hand?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help   Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 12:16 am

For roots of the sound? ....I'm not too sure, but shouldn't David Bowie be on there? Or.... maybe Black Sabbath? it's not really goth music, but I'd bet a lot of goths would listen to them.

That's really all I can offer since I listen to symphonic power metal instead of the old school goth.

You know, maybe they should just tell this guy that the music varies from person to person and that he has a better chance of seeing the Loch Ness monster than making a definitive goth music list.
Back to top Go down
GhostRed
GhostRed

Scorpio Rat
Number of posts : 445
: : Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help Th_cil10
More Numbers : 7580157
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help   Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 12:24 am

Well, surely, David Bowie should be on there as an influence, but he's not what I would call goth music by any stretch (though, I do love him).

You have a solid base of info there, raven. I would add on that by including Sex Gang Children, Fields of Nephilim, The Birthday Party, Alien Sex Fiend and Theatre of Hate.
Definitely mention something about the Batcave being the stage for the birth of goth music.
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7678565

PostSubject: Re: Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help   Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 6:37 pm

He's got the basics right but he needs to expand on the influence of the Sisters, Bauhaus and Fields of the Nephilim

He also needs to see past Siouxsie much as I love her - she may be "goth" now but she was far from it originally.

Goddess I would like to chat with this guy direct

Smile
Back to top Go down
Vampira132
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger
Number of posts : 4606
: : The Victorian Woman in Black
: : Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help Kalbg0
More Numbers : 7674153

PostSubject: Re: Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help   Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 7:05 pm

I recommend that he reads The Dark Reign of Gothic Rock by Dave Thompson... Any Dave Thompson book is worth a read really.

Back to top Go down
Alenuska

Capricorn Pig
Number of posts : 270
More Numbers : 7577504
Registration date : 2008-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help   Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 12:51 pm

surprised no one said specimen or early christian death with rozz williams. although I agree with ghost red sex gang children should be mentioned.
Back to top Go down
albinasamara
albinasamara

Gemini Rooster
Number of posts : 338
: : Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help 2cf2wwg
More Numbers : 7581525
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help   Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 5:34 pm

Killing Joke?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/albinasamara
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help   Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 6:00 pm

Just so you all know,I left a comment on the blog letting Thivai Abhor know we were discussing his blog post here.

"[Thanks to Ravenlovecraft for posting my query on The Dark Realm discussion board. I appreciate all of the comments and will use the thread as an example for the class of how people understand/discuss/form their understanding of subcultures like Goth. I hope the thread continues...]"

Ravenlovecraft is my blogspot username btw.
Back to top Go down
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help   Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 7:03 pm

Back to top Go down
Vampira132
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help   Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Can I add Nosferatu grin

Lucy is Red
Wiccaman
Alone
Back to top Go down
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help   Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 8:00 pm

Please add whatever you think goth music is!

Helen really could add alot to this as I know she thinks of herself as a gunk (gothic punk),I know I think of myself as a deathrocker so anything I add will probably be in that vein.

I love Nosferatu but I have to admit that I had no clue who they were until you told me!
Back to top Go down
Vampira132
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help   Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 8:26 pm

^^ Surprised Helen didnt mention The Damned hehe.

Last edited by Vampira132 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I didnt mention it Helen!!!)
Back to top Go down
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help   Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 8:40 pm

I wanted to but thought it would be best to let her mention them.

It would be like someone else mentioning Samhain,I know I'd be happy someone did it but completley jealous that it wasn't me who bought them up.
Back to top Go down
Vampira132
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help   Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 8:55 pm

^^ Hehe changed it just in case grin
Back to top Go down
SPF
vip member
SPF

Scorpio Number of posts : 1679
: : Fashionista
: : Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7570101
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help   Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Alenuska wrote:
surprised no one said specimen or early christian death with rozz williams. although I agree with ghost red sex gang children should be mentioned.

Specimen and all the bands that contributed to the Batcave should be mentioned, or just the Batcave in general. A lot of music grew there
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7644822
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help   Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 10:04 pm

ravengrim wrote:
Just so you all know,I left a comment on the blog letting Thivai Abhor know we were discussing his blog post here.

"[Thanks to Ravenlovecraft for posting my query on The Dark Realm discussion board. I appreciate all of the comments and will use the thread as an example for the class of how people understand/discuss/form their understanding of subcultures like Goth. I hope the thread continues...]"

Ravenlovecraft is my blogspot username btw.

How Cool!

I think it's really great that their teacher is letting them do their presentation on Goth culture. Boy would I like to be'a bat in the corner of that classroom! That'd be so much fun to get to listen in on! I hope they get a really good grade on this. headbang

Alenuska wrote:

Hey! It's really nice to see you here Alenuska! You've been missed!

mmm... I'm trying to think if I can add anything cause you guys have pretty much mentioned most of the early bands.

A lot of the music was inspired by horror/ sci-fi movies & macabre literature in a campy theatrical way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help   Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Here's A Guy Who Needs Some Help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheDarkRealm :: the threads :: Music-
Jump to: