TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex

Go down 
+8
RedAngel
Ginger_Snaps
SweetVervain
TheDarkHippie
Nightmistress
MoonRaven
endless dark
cynfullov
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7644822
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex Empty
PostSubject: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 11:44 am

Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex Pic

A risque church billboard showing the Virgin Mary and Joseph in bed apparently after having disappointing sex has caused outrage among Christians in New Zealand.

The large poster depicts a dejected-looking Joseph lying next to Mary, whose eyes are turned heavenwards, under the words: "Poor Joseph. God was a hard act to follow."

Both figures, painted in classical fresco style, appear to be naked

As a result it was almost obliterated and the church, which describes itself as "progressive", is seeking a replacement.

Archdeacon Glynn Cardy said the billboard was intended to lampoon the literal interpretation of the Christmas conception story "and that somehow this male God impregnated Mary".

"What we're trying to do is to get people to think more about what Christmas is all about," he said.

"We actually think God is about the power of love as shown in Jesus, which is something quite different than a literal man up in the sky."

He said the church had asked an advertising agency to come up with ideas for the poster and the one they had chosen was not the most radical.

"One of the options we turned down had a sperm coming down with the words 'Joy to the World'," he said.

St Matthew's was inundated with angry phone calls and emails soon after the billboard appeared at a busy street corner on Thursday.

The poster also sparked a barrage of comments to radio stations and on internet websites.

Among leading critics was Lyndsay Freer, a spokesman for the Catholic Church, who said: "This is disrespectful and offensive to all Christians.

"It's flying in the face of our 2,000-year-old beliefs," she said.
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7681885
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 12:05 pm

its impossible to not offend some people and historicly christians are the most offendable, not saying every single one is exacly the same but the crazier ones go off on just about anyhting but for me... funnies thing I've seen all week LOLLOLLOLLOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com
MoonRaven
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 9359
: : Geisha
: : Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex Th_inl10
More Numbers : 7679870

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 12:44 pm

Poor Joseph tongue
haha
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/moonraven83

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 2:00 pm

That's awesome! That made me laugh. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Nightmistress
Nightmistress

Sagittarius Goat
Number of posts : 491
: : Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex Bjevig
More Numbers : 7580202
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 2:27 pm

That just made my day. Too funny. LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/XwhipsXchainsXhandcuffs
TheDarkHippie
TheDarkHippie

Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 1101
: : Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7347383
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 6:29 pm

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is hillarious!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/joanestabrook#/profile.php?id=757050283&
SweetVervain
SweetVervain

Taurus Pig
Number of posts : 123
: : Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex Th_cil10
More Numbers : 7023382
Registration date : 2009-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 10:11 pm

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 7584902
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 10:52 pm

But of course, someone came in and covered the faces of J and M.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex 25883sk
More Numbers : 7413837
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 12:31 am

Y'know, when I clicked on the link I held out a fool's hope that the billboard might show Mary and Joseph as a happy couple with a healthy sex life, as a public service announcement about maintaining the love in a marriage or something like that.

Heh, that'll teach me.

Have you ever heard someone describe someone else as having "more money than God"? The billboard reminds me of that -- exalting God in terms that are expressions of *human* pride. It's like saying God has an IPhone, or God only wears 4-ply cashmere. Worldly garbage in a botched attempt to exalt the divine. And I'm not anti-sex -- I'm very pro-sex. But the billboard is not a celebration of healthy attitudes toward sex; it's about one-up-manship. It's a pretty crappy thing for "believers" to do to their higher power, not to mention to the human couple, or any human couple.

It's silly -- pardon my French, but it's a good example of misguided "believers" doing a lot of d**k-waving, literally and figuratively. They don't even realize that they're only waving their own.

I don't agree with the defacement. Discussion would have been the better action.

Last edited by RedAngel on Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:07 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : hoping my view doesn't alienate)
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
deadcoldgothgirl
supernova
deadcoldgothgirl

Sagittarius Snake
Number of posts : 6332
: : Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex S3mrtd
More Numbers : 7583692
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 6:53 am

The churchy side of me says, "OMGosh! Are they serious? Even in the most progressive of churches that is still blasphamy on a stick. They are going to burn in hell."

The other side of me says, "That is super funny with really bad art work."
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/gothic_freak

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 12:45 pm

deadcoldgothgirl wrote:
The other side of me says, "That is super funny with really bad art work."

It's not that bad of artwork. It's supposed to be copying the fresco style. Think of the picture of the last supper. That style. Bad artwork would be when you can't tell what is what.... (Is that his ear or her mouth?)
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 7584902
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 3:19 pm

Perhaps if Mary took the veil off, she may have actually had more pleasure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7678565

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 6:44 pm

That is brilliant! Maybe Mary should have put the veil on Joseph instead?

Mr Damnation follows a historically Catholic Scottish football team and members of his forums were horrified.
Back to top Go down
Dark Gentleman
Dark Gentleman

Pisces Pig
Number of posts : 394
: : Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex 2vwy0zq
More Numbers : 7572127
Registration date : 2008-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 5:14 pm

JOY TO THE WORLD!!!! Somebody's finally got it right. devildance

That made my day too. LOL
Back to top Go down
GothicScrybe
vip member
GothicScrybe

Aries Rooster
Number of posts : 2480
: : Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex Evil10
More Numbers : 7317608
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 12:08 pm

I personally think that's hilarious, but yeah, I think my four year old niece could draw better than such so-called, artwork.
Back to top Go down
http://thelosttheforgottenthedamned.com/

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 12:11 pm

GothicScrybe wrote:
I think my four year old niece could draw better than such so-called, artwork.

Painting in any style is difficult. Just because it's not your personal cup of tea doesn't mean it doesn't have talent.
Back to top Go down
GothicScrybe
vip member
GothicScrybe

Aries Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 12:15 pm

nsanelilmunky wrote:
GothicScrybe wrote:

Painting in any style is difficult. Just because it's not your personal cup of tea doesn't mean it doesn't have talent.

The word "talent" is subjective and varies from person to person.

I have my own opinion, which is why I expressed it utilizing the words "I think" which denotes an opinion

Feel free to agree or disagree, but don't think that your opinion is more important than mine.

To do otherwise is sheer ignorance and simply contributes to the majority of high and mighty attitudes in the world today...rather than to the solution.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 12:19 pm

GothicScrybe wrote:
nsanelilmunky wrote:
GothicScrybe wrote:

I have my own opinion, which is why I expressed it utilizing the words "I think" which denotes an opinion

Feel free to agree or disagree, but don't think that your opinion is more important than mine.

To do otherwise is sheer ignorance and simply contributes to the majority of high and mighty attitudes in the world today...rather than to the solution.

I wasn't saying anything about one person's opinion being better than another. I was saying that painting is hard, this style does have talent, and being that painting is hard I was implying that I doubt that your 4 year old niece could really do it.
Back to top Go down
GothicScrybe
vip member
GothicScrybe

Aries Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 12:21 pm

nsanelilmunky wrote:
GothicScrybe wrote:
nsanelilmunky wrote:
GothicScrybe wrote:

I wasn't saying anything about one person's opinion being better than another. I was saying that painting is hard, this style does have talent, and being that painting is hard I was implying that I doubt that your 4 year old niece could really do it.

Being as my niece isn't the next Waterhouse (that I know of) my statement was a rhetorical one...and just furthered my point that "talent" is subjective.
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 12:41 pm

I think it was done very well as far as the painting is concerened, but I think they should have saved that one for an abstinence campain if they were ever to have one.

Quote :
"What we're trying to do is to get people to think more about what Christmas is all about," he said. ~ Archdeacon Glynn Cardy said the billboard was intended to lampoon the literal interpretation of the Christmas conception story "and that somehow this male God impregnated Mary".

Your mentioning your 4 year old niece GothicScrybe fits in with my first thoughts on reading this article and seeing the painting. I wonder why they didn't chose a child's picture if they wanted to get people to think more about what Christmas is all about. Children in the church would have come up with more than just the presents they hoped to get.

And in my opinion Christmas is a very sad time. If you follow the christain reasons for it. It was a day of the birth of a living child whose sole purpose in being born was to someday suffer greatly for the sins of human kind so they might not.

It is creative though and in the artist's mind purhaps that's what chistmas means to them. I would have unfortunaly for the cheer of christmas, probably focused on the reason there is a "christ"mas in the first place.

*For christians that is great cheer, not having to to to hell for your sins, but be given the chance to be forgiven and go to heaven instead. People would have to read the whole story, his suffering and asking why he has been forsaken. Just sad.

Last edited by cynfullov on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GothicScrybe
vip member
GothicScrybe

Aries Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 12:49 pm

cynfullov wrote:
I think it was done very well as far as the painting is concerened, but I think they should have saved that one for an abstinence campain if they were ever to have one.

Quote :
"What we're trying to do is to get people to think more about what Christmas is all about," he said. ~ Archdeacon Glynn Cardy said the billboard was intended to lampoon the literal interpretation of the Christmas conception story "and that somehow this male God impregnated Mary".

Your mentioning your 4 year old niece GothicScrybe fits in with my first thoughts on reading this article and seeing the painting. I wonder why they didn't chose a child's picture if they wanted to get people to think more about what Christmas is all about. Children in the church would have come up with more than just the presents they hoped to get.

And in my opinion Christmas is a very sad time. If you follow the christain reasons for it. It was a day of the birth of a living child whose sole purpose in being born was to someday suffer greatly for the sins of human kind so they might not.

It is creative though and in the artist's mind purhaps that's what chistmas means to them. I would have unfortunaly for the cheer of christmas, probably focused on the reason there is a "christ"mas in the first place.

Wow Cyn...what a well-expressed post!

You're right...for those that believe in a Christ-child it is sad to think what this holiday means.

You're also right about innocence...and what better way to show it than children.

I love a good, thinking post! Thanks for the brain food!

hug
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 1:10 pm

cynfullov wrote:

For some of the hardcore Christians this might be true... most the ones I've met have been more about the gift-giving....

Though I'm still a little iffy on the whole Christian/Christmas holiday. From the hints the bible gives, Jesus wasn't born in December (if he existed at all).
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 2:01 pm

There are some discrepancies in regards to dates. I've either read and or heard that the calendar we go by now isn't at all like what would have been followed back then.

Do you think it might have to do with trying to match up a date with the north star being at it's hightest point in the sky?
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 2:13 pm

GothicScrybe wrote:
Wow Cyn...what a well-expressed post!

You're right...for those that believe in a Christ-child it is sad to think what this holiday means.

You're also right about innocence...and what better way to show it than children.

I love a good, thinking post! Thanks for the brain food!

hug

Thankyou hug
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex   Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 2:39 pm

cynfullov wrote:
There are some discrepancies in regards to dates. I've either read and or heard that the calendar we go by now isn't at all like what would have been followed back then.

Do you think it might have to do with trying to match up a date with the north star being at it's hightest point in the sky?

I consider it conversion tactics. The Nicene Convention and then later missionaries implanted a lot of their original religions into Christianity so that the pagans would go a little more easily into the faith.

And the year used to be different. What is now April first used to be the new year's day. Not everyone got the message when they first changed it and that's why it's a prank day.

At least, that's what I remember from my reading.
Back to top Go down

Christians outraged by poster showing Mary and Joseph after sex
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next