TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

A Love Letter To Goth

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : A Love Letter To Goth Evil10
More Numbers : 7692508
Registration date : 2008-07-21

A Love Letter To Goth Empty
PostSubject: A Love Letter To Goth   A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 11:56 pm

A Love Letter To Goth

Before there was emo, there was goth. And those of us who slathered on the eyeliner and backcombed our black-dyed hair, remember those days with a gentle fondness tempered with a healthy splash of hubris. Because if you were part of the Children of the Night, right now you're concurrently rolling your eyes and saying "Awwwwww!" like you just saw an especially cute kitten.

Subcultures are a rebellion. What against? Whaddya got? And the goth subculture railed against pop music, wearing (ugh) "normal" clothes, and the idea that boys didn't wear eyeliner. Most of all, the goths were beautiful, at least to me, and when I was drawn into the lifestyle as a teenager, it was dark and mysterious and lovely, and my mother HATED IT. It was perfect.

Goth kids embraced romanticism, androgyny, an unrelenting flair for the dramatic, and of course, the music. Who doesn't remember this iconic image? It throws me back to college immediately.

Oh, Robert Smith. Where would we have been without you? You taught us how to wear our hair shoepolish black and shellacked with so much hairspray (Aqua Net for me, the industrial strength kind in the pink can) that we could have burst into flames at any moment. Death-pale skin, heavy dark makeup, and various unique clothing ensembles, mostly in black, of course. This was our armor against the "normals" who didn't like that we had Halloween every day, that sometimes boys wore skirts, that our boots made us six inches taller than the jock who was beating us up that day.

Born from the post-punk movement, goth music was full of synthesizers and pulsating beats, perfect for dancing. But even the dancing was solitary, an ethereal shoe-gazing experience that was so different from the "normals" of the 80s and 90s. We traveled either in somber packs, finding strength in our gentle numbers, or alone, knowing you were staring at us. That was the point. We were playing dress up, black on the outside to match the blackness of our angst on the inside. To say we were dramatic would be the understatement of the century. This, of course, made the movement perfect for alienated teens. Like the greasers, hippies, and punks before us, we put on our uniforms, listened to our music, and found solace in each other as we shuffled on the dance floor, or smoked clove cigarettes behind the bleachers. Did I mention our parents hated it? They haaaaaaaaaaaaaaated it.
Reviled by the "normals," we regularly were mocked and got the sh*t kicked out of us on at least a weekly basis. But we had each other, and our music, and the costumes, nay, the armor, that made us stand out and make a statement without saying a word.

Before there was Edward Cullen: Emo Vampire, there was the Sandman series. Before emo kids were listening to My Chemical Romance, goths were gyrating to Siouxie and the Banshees and crying streaks of Wet N Wild black eyeliner as we played Joy Division over and over till the cassette broke.

We're older now, and look upon the days of goth fondly, if not a bit protectively. We were the sensitive kids, who yearned to be tough but were more at home playing melancholy music and b!tching to each other about how no one "got" us. A recent trip to the movies with a friend brought us upon three honest to god goth kids, loitering in the mall, and my friend and I, too old and world-weary to put that much effort into our appearances anymore, became utterly giddy, whispering frantically to each other that we wanted to hug those kids, tell them everything was going to be okay, and to keep letting their freak flags fly.

I miss those days. But I look back on them with incredible fondness and love, for, like every other subculture, goth existed for those who didn't fit anywhere else. I don't know where I would be today if it wasn't there for me, my friends, and countless others who were different, just like the rest of us.

I found this today.
Kind of strange to read it.
Because I am an aging goth too and occasionally I get that feeling she described in her blog poST.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Love Letter To Goth   A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 11:59 pm

[color=cyan]Goth lovres!!! Yes!! Go gothes!! we rukes!![/colro]
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : A Love Letter To Goth Bjevig
More Numbers : 7590154
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: A Love Letter To Goth   A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 4:23 am

sosad I was born too late. sad or frown

Guess what song immediately popped into my head when I read "synthesizers".

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
albinasamara
albinasamara

Gemini Rooster
Number of posts : 338
: : A Love Letter To Goth 2cf2wwg
More Numbers : 7586777

PostSubject: Re: A Love Letter To Goth   A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 4:39 pm

Ginger, you just Rickrolled us :-)

That was a nice article, I wish I had seen it before my presentation, I would have read it aloud! I was born in 81, just as the subculture was getting started and I wish I could have been a part of it all. But I'm a part of it now, so that works for me :-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/albinasamara
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : A Love Letter To Goth 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7683817
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: A Love Letter To Goth   A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 6:25 pm

I loved that so much - as an elder goth it really speaks to me about my early life experiences with finding out who and what I am. I wouldnt change those days for anything. I loved being the scary, spooky kid Smile Still love being the scary, spooky woman heart
Back to top Go down
albinasamara
albinasamara

Gemini Rooster
Number of posts : 338
: : A Love Letter To Goth 2cf2wwg
More Numbers : 7586777

PostSubject: Re: A Love Letter To Goth   A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:51 pm

Spookiness rules, Helen...I'd rather hang around with spooky people than normals :-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/albinasamara
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Love Letter To Goth   A Love Letter To Goth I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Love Letter To Goth
Page 1 of 1