TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
deadcoldgothgirl
supernova
deadcoldgothgirl

Sagittarius Snake
Number of posts : 6332
: : I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this S3mrtd
More Numbers : 7578440
Registration date : 2008-07-24

I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this Empty
PostSubject: I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this   I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 9:52 pm

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/experts-debate-dangers-of-wearing-popular-sheepskin-boots-1164424/

Ugg Australia
Despite the fact that Uggs and their many knockoff incarnations have long been considered a “fashion don’t,” lots of women love and continue to wear these suede and sheepskin boots all winter long. They’re warm, they’re cozy, they’re easy to throw on with any outfit, they feel like slippers, and they’re a celebrity favorite. Of course this makes the boots very appealing and popular, especially during chillier months. But are they actually good for your feet? Experts say no.
In a recent Daily Mail article, professionals spoke out about the health risks of wearing cheap, imitation Ugg boots. Dr. Ian Drysdale, the head of the British College of Osteopathic Medicine, said, “Because these boots are warm and soft, young girls think they are giving their feet a break. In fact, they are literally breaking their feet.” Drysdale continued, “Their feet are slipping around inside. With each step, the force falls towards the inside of the foot and the feet splay. This flattens the arch and makes it drop. The result can be significant problems with the foot, the ankle, and ultimately, the hip.”

Does the Ugg boot, which retails for $140 and up, really provide more support than its more affordable imitators? Dr. Rock Positano, Director of the Non-surgical Foot and Ankle Service for the Hospital for Special Surgery, sees no difference. “Whether they are real Uggs or fake Uggs, we’re dealing with footwear that offers no substantial and necessary orthopedic support for the foot and the ankle.” He has many clients come to him with complications from wearing Uggs and pseudo-Uggs. Dr. Jim Christina, a podiatrist and the Director of Scientific Affairs for the American Podiatric Medical Association says, “The knockoffs that have essentially no support probably would be worse than your traditional Ugg boot, but Uggs are not a great supportive type of a footwear. They call them comfort footwear.”

Bearpaw
As far as either the Uggs or their imitators breaking women’s feet, Dr. Christina thinks that’s an overstatement, but warns that some women have to be very careful. “Everybody’s feet are different,” says Dr. Christina. “Some people have very stable feet that aren’t going to flatten very much, some people have high-arched feet that can actually benefit from something that is absorbent and cushioning, and then some people have feet that flatten excessively. When you get into the latter category, yes, those people should not be doing prolonged walking in any type of footwear that doesn’t provide good support.” Dr. Positano, however, is anti-Ugg across the board. “Whether you have a high arch, or a flat arch, inherently there are issues. You have the support issue under the foot, and the fact that there’s no support around the ankle joint or the Achilles tendon,” says Dr. Positano. And when it comes to affecting children, young ladies, or mature women, he insists, “This type of shoe does not discriminate.”

While Dr. Christina stressed that those with a proclivity to flattening arches would be the ones affected by wearing these shoes, both doctors are in agreement that prolonged walking, standing, and activity in Ugg-like boots could lead to both temporary and long-term problems. “It may manifest as a pain in the arch, the heel, or in their lower legs—some of the muscles have to function differently because they have to compensate for the lack of support,” says Dr. Christina. As the boots place stress on the muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones, everyday use can cause long-term problems for wearers like bunions, hammertoes, arthritis, tendinitis, and issues with their Achilles tendon, knees, hips and lower back. “Most people don’t develop the symptoms until the day after,” says Dr. Positano. “When you’re walking in them, they’re comfortable.” So should women stop wearing Uggs and Ugg knockoffs if they experience discomfort? “It’s probably a prudent idea,” says Dr. Positano, “because nine out of ten times these issues are caused by improper or inadequate foot and ankle support.” Dr. Christina agrees that these types of aches and pains are a warning sign to stop wearing the boots and to look for something that provides more support.

They key is to use your sheepskin boots sparingly or when you know you won’t be doing extensive walking or activity. Just as you shouldn’t wear high heels for an extended period of walking or dancing, keep your Ugg boot wearing to a minimum. For casual wearers who are looking to reinforce their boots for safety, the doctors say that adding supportive insoles would be a great first step.

I knew I didn't like the boots themselves but this just gives me a reason to laugh at the zombies that wear them and hate them even more.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/gothic_freak
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7639570
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this   I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 10:10 pm

I would never wear Uggs. Flats kill my feet.

And they cover up the shape of your calves & ankles.

Goth faux fur boot covers worn over platforms/heels I do like
wearing on occassion. That's a totally different look than Uggs.
Back to top Go down
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7580614
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this   I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 12:37 pm

Why can't all shoes and boots be more foot friendly? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this   I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I hate Ugg boots but if you like them you should read this
Page 1 of 1