TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7636944
Registration date : 2008-08-20

facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook Empty
PostSubject: New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook   facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 12:32 am

Article

New password-stealing virus targets Facebook

Wed Mar 17, 9:08 pm ET

BOSTON (Reuters) – Hackers have flooded the Internet with virus-tainted spam that targets Facebook's estimated 400 million users in an effort to steal banking passwords and gather other sensitive information.

The emails tell recipients that the passwords on their Facebook accounts have been reset, urging them to click on an attachment to obtain new login credentials, according to anti-virus software maker McAfee Inc.

If the attachment is opened, it downloads several types of malicious software, including a program that steals passwords, McAfee said on Wednesday.

Hackers have long targeted Facebook users, sending them tainted messages via the social networking company's own internal email system. With this new attack, they are using regular Internet email to spread their malicious software.

A Facebook spokesman said the company could not comment on the specific case, but pointed to a status update the company posted on its web site earlier on Wednesday warning users about the spoofed email and advising users to delete the email and to warn their friends.

McAfee estimates that hackers sent out tens of millions of spam across Europe, the United States and Asia since the campaign began on Tuesday.

Dave Marcus, McAfee's director of malware research and communications, said that he expects the hackers will succeed in infecting millions of computers.

"With Facebook as your lure, you potentially have 400 million people that can click on the attachment. If you get 10 percent success, that's 40 million," he said.

The email's subject line says "Facebook password reset confirmation customer support," according to Marcus.
Back to top Go down
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7577988
Registration date : 2008-07-23

facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook   facebook - New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 3:19 am

Dang! Thanks for the info. There are way to many scammers out there.

I guess this is related: I registered a domain name a couple of years ago (through AOL), though I have yet to do anything with it. I got a letter in the mail today from some company I never heard of basically saying if I don't pay a fee by April I'll lose my domain name. I freaked out, but after reading the letter a few times I realized it was a scam. A**holes! The way the letter was worded was really convincing. I wonder how many folks fell for it. sad or frown
Back to top Go down

New Password-Stealing Virus Targets Facebook
Page 1 of 1