TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art Evil10
More Numbers : 7679378
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art Empty
PostSubject: Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art   Baldness: A new canvas for awesome art I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 8:59 pm

When Philip Levine first started losing his hair in his early twenties he didn't quite know how to deal with the situation.

He knew he didn't want to wear a wig, but neither did he want to look like so many other men who simply shave their head.

"I was receding and going bald," he said. "I wanted to shave my head but not conform to societies look of a typical bald man who all look the same in T-shirts, jeans and trainers."

And then he came up with an idea which would ensure he didn't conform the normal bald man stereotype...

"I thought why not use it as a canvas, paint and attach things to my head using the border of where my hair would be," said the 28-year-old Londoner.

He contacted a friend and professional body painter Kat Sinclair to help him turn his idea into a reality. After shaving his head to give a smooth canvas he let her loose with a paint brush.
Philip says he was so impressed with the result, that he knew this would become a regular thing for him and started coming up with different designs to express parts of his personality.

Since then he has penned dozens of designs which Kat has recreated on his head. These have ranged from a giant wave splashing over his ears, to his head becoming shrubbery dotted with model butterflies.
On average the designs take two hours to create, but some of the more elaborate have taken up to five hours and are therefore reserved for parties. His favourite so far is a time consuming one where Kat covered his head with 1,000 Swarovski crystals, each individually glued on.

Despite the eye-catching nature of his painted head, Philip says the aim was never to purposefully go out to get attention, but to express himself and show that going bald does not have to be seen as a weakness.

"My initial message was to take what may be seen as a weakness in humans and use it as a form of creative expression," said the creative entrepreneur.

But as a positive side effect he says the designs have brought inspiration to people with alopecia and cancer.

"With that and not intentionally I have had messages from sufferers of cancer, alopecia and general people balding that they are inspired to do something on their head.

"Unlike a wig where you are hiding what maybe seen as a deformity what I do is tell people to feel special, original and embrace what could be looked at as a weakness and turn it into a strength."

Click on the link for pictures.
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1