TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages

Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit Evil10
More Numbers : 7687256
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit Empty
PostSubject: Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit   Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Vhurch Bans Child's Picture

DALLAS - Some find Jackson Potts II's photograph of a nightstick-wielding policeman beating a fallen, bleeding child violent and offensive, conjuring images of police brutality and child abuse.

But to Jackson, a talented 10-year-old Houston photographer, and a cadre of art lovers, the disturbing image has religious symbolism.

Jackson shot the photograph for an exhibit depicting the Stations of the Cross, but the show's organizers rejected it, sparking a controversy some say is overshadowing remembrance of Jesus' final hours during the season of Lent.

Jackson was the only child among 15 artists invited to participate in the exhibit. Curator Marc Brubaker said he thought the boy would bring a unique perspective.

But comments posted anonymously on blogs and callers to radio talk shows have questioned whether such a sophisticated piece could really be the work of a child.

Jackson was assigned to portray the seventh Station of the Cross, where Jesus fell for a second time while carrying the cross to the site of his crucifixion. The home-schooled fifth-grader, who is taking a class on religious symbols in art at a Catholic church, decided to do a modern depiction of Christ being beaten by a Roman soldier.

"I thought about how innocent Jesus was, like a kid," Jackson said. "I thought a police officer was sort of like a Roman guard."

His younger brother played the Christ-child role, with stage blood splattered on his head and arms. Neighbors and friends portrayed an angry mob and brutal police officer.

Carefully crafted picture
Although Jackson has gone on more than a 100 photo shoots in recent years, mainly working as an apprentice for his father, a professional photographer, the show at Xnihilo (NY'-low) Gallery was to be his first public exhibition.

He worked for months to get the details right, taking advice on everything from makeup to lighting. But the concept and execution were his own, he and those who know him say.

Jeremy Martin-Weber, who was part of the angry crowd, said Jackson held the cameraduring the entire photo shoot.

"Jackson told us where to go, how to stand and every once in a while, Jack (his dad) would ask a general preference question, 'Do you want them in a row or a little bit curved?' Jackson would make the call," Martin-Weber said. "Jackson was in charge of the whole thing."

But when Jackson submitted the finished piece, he was told it wouldn't be shown.

The fine arts gallery also serves as the sanctuary for the 1,100-member Ecclesia Church, and "a church should be a place where people can feel safe," Brubaker said.

Provocative in 'wrong way'
Church elders said they thought the photograph would scare young children who trust and respect police officers, some of whom are also church members. Elders said they also wanted to be sensitive to a congregation member whose mentally impaired son was fatally shot by police around this time last year.

"Certainly we don't want to be censoring art or anything like that," said Jeremy Wells, a gallery board member, church elder and artist. "Artwork being provocative in nature can be beneficial to the church if it's provocative in the right way.

"We felt it was provocative in the wrong way," Wells said. "The image, being as graphic as it is, did not draw people closer to the risen Christ."

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place,but I didn't know of the Absinthe lounge was more appropriate for this particular post or not.
Back to top Go down
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7585866
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit   Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 5:26 pm

Wow, that is one smart kid! It's a shame his picture won't be shown, but i can understand why the curch is refusing to show it. I do think it is a bit much for a church art exhibit. I would love to see his work exhibited in the right place, though.
Back to top Go down

Church Bans Child's Picture From Exhibit
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheDarkRealm :: the threads :: Religion & Philosophy-
Jump to: