TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor? I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor? I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor? I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor? I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor?

Go down 
    AuthorMessage
    ravengrim
    ravengrim

Virgo Rat
    Number of posts : 7192
    : : The Fallen Angel
    : : Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor? Evil10
    More Numbers : 7688569
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor? Empty
    PostSubject: Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor?   Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 10:03 pm

[url=http://www.annarbor.com/news/el-chupacabra-sighted-in-ann-arbor---annarborcom-investigates/]Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor?[/url /]

At least one reporter a year asks the Michigan Department of Natural Resources if Bigfoot exists.

But I call to ask about any sightings of another monster - the stuff of hellish nightmares called El Chupacabra.

The dog-beast hybrid is rumored to suck the blood and life from goats and other unfortunate farm animals and pets. And an Ann Arbor resident claims to have possibly seen one around town.

"...I need to ask this question. Have you had anyone report the witnessing of a...and I know this sounds insane...chupacabra...in this area?"

I decide to investigate.

"Chupacabra? I haven't heard of it," DNR spokeswoman Mary Dettloff tells me. "Was the sighting around Hash Bash?"

"Possible."

"We get more calls with people telling me they have a cougar in their backyard, but we don't keep track of those."

"Oh, so we have cougars in Michigan?"

"One verified sighting up in the UP last year, the only one we've had recently."

"Oh."

Back to El Chupacabra:

Our reader says he and his wife saw the otherworldly animal stalk across East Huron River Drive under US-23 the afternoon of March 29. Then it slipped off into the wetlands - causing nary a ripple.

Our reader reports:

"The thing we saw looked like a hairless pit bull, only longer and taller. The only other way to describe it is that someone took a Mexican hairless pup, fed it nothing but steroids, decapitated it and grafted a horse's head on."

Quite the description.

He goes on to say it had the gait of a large, prowling cat. The mere sight of the thing was enough to keep him - a hunter for 45 years - out of the woods for a while.

"I hit the brakes, not to avoid hitting it, but to have more time to observe it before it got to the wetland side. Had I been there a little sooner and expecting it...I would have been happy to hit and hopefully kill it. This thing...this whatever it was...was like watching something in a horror/scifi movie cross in front of you."

And the reader pleads:

"Can you possibly assure us that what we saw was either a figment of our imagination or...?"

Yes, figment of imagination or "...?". I wrack my brain.

I decide to call the keeper of a gazillion animal species preserved in glass jars, some of them extinct. That's William Fink, the curator of the University of Michigan Museum of Zoology.

Maybe one of his jars holds a big Mexican hairless dog that died recently following a steroid overdose and a horse-head transplant. That would explain things. You just never know with zoologists. I call him.

"I have a strange question for you," I say to Fink.

"I've called to ask about El Chupacabra."

"That's not for me," Fink says.

Strike two. And what kind of reporter am I to ask these questions - Chupacabra, pshht - of a scientist! Making a mockery of his field!

"That's for our mammal division guy. Phil Myers would be the guy you want to talk to."

I'm back on track.

El Chupacabra: figment of imagination or "...?".

The answer is so close I can feel it. The story's heating up. It's deep - deeper than the time I investigated a haunted windbreaker being sold on eBay.

Myers holds the key. I call him.

He vows to get back at Fink. We laugh.

Then I get serious:

"And what about El Chupacabra?"

He tells me that over at the American Society of Mammologists, the professional society zoologists belong to, people e-mail pictures to each other of weird animals. Zoologist humor.

About two or three times a year - including just this morning - those pictures depict Chupcabras.

"But what are they?"

"They are always well-known, fairly common things with mange, so that they've lost all their hair, and their skin is kind of scabby."

"Mange?"

"Parasitic mites that get into your skin and destroy the hair follicles."

Sounds itchy. And not as exciting as I'd hoped.

He continues:

"And the pictures I’ve really looked at have been a dog or a coyote. And in a few instances, that’s actually been confirmed by folks doing DNA analysis on tissue from the animal."

In this country, most of these "Chupacabra" are spotted in Texas, he says.

"So what about this Mexican hairless dog with a horse head on steroids our reader saw in Ann Arbor?"

At first, Myers hesitates. I push him.

He bends. Coughs up a few guesses. Maybe a feral, mangy dog, or a mangy deer, coyote or fox. Anything with fur can get mange. Menacing squirrels that infiltrate his bird feeder have mange.

"The mystery is solved," I say to him. The Chupacabra may not be a figment of our reader's imagination - it could just be a feral dog with a gigantic head and a bad case of mange.

Then out of nowhere, Myers gets mysterious. Without prompting, he says:

"You never know around here."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggMWBHivne0&feature=player_embedded
    Back to top Go down

Was that a chupacabra crossing the road in Ann Arbor?
    Page 1 of 1