TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Lovely bones are back on the catwalk I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Lovely bones are back on the catwalk I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Lovely bones are back on the catwalk I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Lovely bones are back on the catwalk I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Lovely bones are back on the catwalk I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Lovely bones are back on the catwalk I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Lovely bones are back on the catwalk I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Lovely bones are back on the catwalk I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Lovely bones are back on the catwalk I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Lovely bones are back on the catwalk I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Lovely bones are back on the catwalk I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Lovely bones are back on the catwalk I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Lovely bones are back on the catwalk I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Lovely bones are back on the catwalk

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Lovely bones are back on the catwalk Evil10
More Numbers : 7680691
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Lovely bones are back on the catwalk Empty
PostSubject: Lovely bones are back on the catwalk   Lovely bones are back on the catwalk I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 8:06 pm

Bones are back on the catwalk. But the new breed of bootylicious bombshells storming the fashion world don't need to fret about the return of the ultra-waif. For designers' love affair with the skeletal is moving beyond the clothes horses to the clothes and accessories themselves.

Spine-heeled shoes stole the show at DSquared, while the last collection of the late Alexander McQueen is littered with skulls. Australian label Sass & Bide also has T-shirts with a hand-painted ribcage print.

And the famous seem equally enamoured with all things osseous-inspired.

When pregnant pop star Alicia Keys performed at the World Cup opening ceremony in South Africa, she had DSquared's spine-heeled super-platforms on her feet. She was so impressed by the shoes that she posted a picture of herself wearing the pair on Twitter for her fans.

Singer Ciara also donned the label's spine stilettos for a recent awards ceremony in the US.

At their catwalk show in Milan, DSquared design duo Dean and Dan Caten sent the models out in thigh-high boot versions. But the spine heels, which go on sale in mid-September priced at £830, will come in the more wearable ankle-strap platforms and ankle boots styles.

However, it is in the jewellery world where the cadaverous has captured most imaginations, with bones, skulls, claws and talons all acting as artistic inspirations.

“The skull, in particular, has a great history in jewellery,” says Stephen Webster, who counts Madonna as a customer and is a leader of jewellery's darker movement. “Starting with the memento mori from medieval times, this death motif keeps coming back, but it is always reinvented.”

Webster says that one of the best-sellers in his men's collection this year — which has the theme “No Regrets” — is an intricate skull ring which he describes as “like a Mexican Day of the Dead skull”, more celebratory than ghoulish.

He believes that the skull has now been welcomed into the mainstream. “It used to be very rock 'n' roll, all Keith Richards and Hells Angels. It put you out as a renegade, rebellious, almost outside the law. It doesn't stand for that any more.”

Evidence of this wider appeal comes from the success of McQueen's skull designs.

The story continues at the link.
A decent look at what's out there.

Not too thrilled about the last bit though.

But the attraction of bones and skulls extends far beyond Robert Pattinson-obsessed teenagers.

As Webster notes: “This is now glamorous gothic — it doesn't just appeal to the Marilyn Manson crowd any more.”
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1