TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7646135
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans Empty
PostSubject: Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans   Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 12:16 pm

By DEEPTI HAJELA and SAMANTHA GROSS,
Associated Press – 1 hr 31 mins ago
NEW YORK –

No fed-up worker has ever said "I've had it" quite like Steven Slater.

Prosecutors say the JetBlue flight attendant flipped out over a fight with an agitated traveler Monday, cursing over the intercom before grabbing some beer from the plane's galley and making a grand exit down the emergency slide at Kennedy Airport. He has been charged with felonies but elevated to folk-hero status by thousands who shrugged off allegations that Slater endangered others and praised him for his take-this-job-and-shove-it moment.

Slater, whose father was an airline pilot, wore a slight smile Tuesday as he was led into a state court in Queens to be arraigned on charges of criminal mischief, reckless endangerment and trespassing, counts that carry a maximum penalty of seven years in prison. The judge set his bail at $2,500.

Hours later, Slater exited a Bronx lockup after posting bail. Stephen Morello, a spokesman for the city's Department of Correction, didn't have details on who posted bail.

"It seems like something here has resonated with a few people. And that's kinda neat," Slater told reporters as he left the Vernon C. Bain Center before being whisked away in a car.

Slater, a 38-year-old airline veteran who lives steps from the Queens beach a few miles from the airport, had been flying long enough to see much of the gleam of the air travel experience tarnished by frayed nerves, rising fees, plummeting airline profits and packed cabins.

"One by one all of these niceties have been removed from the customer experience. I think subconsciously, it's causing passengers to be very angry," said Pauline Frommer, creator of the Pauline Frommer Guides and daughter of Arthur Frommer. "There's an us-versus-them mentality."

Sentiment online appeared to fall in Slater's court. By early Tuesday afternoon, more than 20,000 people had declared themselves supporters of Slater on Facebook, and the number was growing by thousands every hour. At least one fan set up a legal fund on his behalf.

"Overwhelmingly people said it should have been the passenger who was ejected from the plane," said George Hobica, founder of AirfareWatchdog.com, speaking about response to his site's blog on the incident. "I've never seen such an outpouring of support for a flight attendant."

Slater's attorney, Howard Turman, said his client had been drawn into a fight between two female passengers over space in the overhead bins as the Pittsburgh-to-New York flight was awaiting takeoff. Somehow, Slater was hit in the head, Turman said.

After JetBlue Flight 1052 landed in New York, one of the women who had been asked to gate-check her bag was enraged that it wasn't immediately available, Turman said.

"The woman was outraged and cursed him out a great deal," Turman said. "At some point, I think he just wanted to avoid conflict with her."

That's when he deployed the slide, Turman said. A spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which controls the airport, said Slater took at least one beer from the plane galley on his way out.

"Those of you who have shown dignity and respect these last 20 years, thanks for a great ride," Slater said over the plane's loudspeaker, according to prosecutors.

Prosecutors said Slater's actions could have been deadly if ground crew workers had been hit by the emergency slide, which deploys with a force of 3,000 pounds per square inch. Turman said Slater had opened the hatch and made sure no one was in the slide's path before deploying it.

Passenger Phil Catelinet said he heard Slater's profanity-laced announcement over the public address system before he left the plane. He said Slater ended by saying, "I've had it." He described the announcement as "the most interesting part of the day to that point" but didn't see Slater use the exit slide or grab the beer.

It wasn't until he saw Slater on an airport train and overheard him talking about the escapade that he put it together.

"He was smiling. He was happy he'd done this," Catelinet told NBC's "Today."

Initially, authorities blamed Slater's blowup on a passenger refusing to sit down as the plane taxied to the gate. But after interviewing more witnesses, investigators confirmed the dispute had begun in Pittsburgh and resumed at the end of the flight, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing.

JetBlue spokesman Mateo Lleras said Slater had been removed from duty pending an investigation. Prosecutors said no criminal allegations had been made against the passenger.

Turman said Slater was under stress because his mother, Diane Slater of Thousand Oaks, Calif., has lung cancer. His father, a pilot for American Airlines, died more than a decade ago. Reached at home by phone, his mother declined to comment.

"He's not this type of individual at all," said Slater's former grandfather-in-law, Harry Niethamer. "He's always been a gentleman and he loves that job. He had opportunities to do other things but he always went back to that type of work and apparently was always good at it."

Niethamer, 82, of Downey, Calif., said his granddaughter was previously married to Slater and they have a son who is now in his mid-teens. He said Slater was a flight attendant for different airlines over many years.

With airlines responding to waning passenger demand by cutting flights and packing remaining ones to the gills, it's no surprise many people can see Slater's side of the story, said Thom McDaniel, a union president and flight attendant at Southwest Airlines for 18 years.

"The response has been amazing and that's probably in part because those people have been stuck on a lot of full, hot planes in the last three months," he said.

There's probably not too many of us on here that haven't heard about this seeing that it's flying throughout most online sites after hitting the Tv and radio broadcasting air.

So, what's your take off on it?
Back to top Go down
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7587179
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans   Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 12:23 pm

That man is my hero. I wish I had the balls to make a grand exit like that from my job. I think it's silly that he was arrested. I really hope he's able to get a really good lawyer to fight the charges against him.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans 25883sk
More Numbers : 7415150
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans   Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 1:07 pm

I think the reason why he's becoming a hero is because he stood up to a rude customer, and did it in the most personally satisfying way possible, without worrying about the consequences. No, it wasn't wise -- but that's what people love about this.

In his shoes, I would have *wanted* to do the same thing. What I would have actually done: given myself an ulcer, had a handful of chocolate, and found some way to blame myself. Begs the question: what is really the healthier response? I think we can all relate to him, especially with recent economic BS and the corner-cutting that goes with it. And we're all silently saying, Good for him.

I think it's nuts that he faces 7 years -- after all, the passenger's bag hit him after he asked the passenger to sit down, so there's the "reckless endangerment." Besides, the McNugget woman only got 60 days! WTF?
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans Bjevig
More Numbers : 7586215
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans   Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 8:55 pm

He's Colbert's Alpha Dog of the Week.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans   Flight attendant's grand exit draws charges, fans I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1