TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages

Newbie at DIY..!

Go down 
+6
Luminita
La Diva Carlotta
GhostRed
albinasamara
Ginger_Snaps
Vampira132
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Vampira132
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger
Number of posts : 4606
: : The Victorian Woman in Black
: : Newbie at DIY..! Kalbg0
More Numbers : 7674153
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 4:54 pm

I havnt a clue about sewing and never even touched a sewing machine (I know shocking Shocked ). So I wondered if there was any top tips on looking for a pratcial sewing machine, plus also any websites that could help with a beginner? Me and my mum would love to make some decent clothing - since my mum has better knowledge about it than me, but the problem with her is that she never finishes a project and only knows how to do clothes making by using patterns from McCalls etc. etc. So this would be useful for her aswell.

Im just so sick of wasting so much money on expensive clothing and when I receieve it, its very badly made and not what it looks like on the site. Which is rather annoying.

Any help would be greatfully receieved..!
Back to top Go down

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 5:42 pm

I wish I could help, but I'm rather in the same boat! My sweet ex gave me for me birthday last year a brand -bare buck new sewing machine...and to this day, I have no idea what to do with the thing. It's a very expensive paperweight. tongue But I'm a whiz at hand-sewing! It's just a gigantic pain in the rear to do...
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Newbie at DIY..! Bjevig
More Numbers : 7584902
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 9:40 pm

I would suggest something relatively reliable such as a Singer (that is if you are planning on actually using it extensively), but if you don't think you will venture into becoming a master seamstress, you can get an el cheapo one like Brother.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 10:33 pm

^HEY! That's my brand...Singer! From what I can tell...all my issues with it are operator error. blush
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 11:08 pm

Singer is a fairly good brand; plus if you ever need repair on it, the brand is big enough that any repair shop can quickly replace a part or fix whatever problem you have.
Back to top Go down
albinasamara
albinasamara

Gemini Rooster
Number of posts : 338
: : Newbie at DIY..! 2cf2wwg
More Numbers : 7581525

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 5:51 am

I agree about Singers. They last...I've had mine for almost 10 years and the only thing I've had to repair is the bobbin case, which was just a matter of buying the part and popping it back in. I haven't even had to change the light bulb yet.

If you're new to sewing I suggest getting an instruction or guide book(like Vogue Sewing), and start with easy things like pillowcases, boxer shorts and straight or a-line elastic waist skirts. Don't work with difficult fabrics at first (chiffon, stretch panne and taffeta come to mind). Some try that and get so frustrated that they give up which is sad :-(

Hope this helps :-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/albinasamara
GhostRed
GhostRed

Scorpio Rat
Number of posts : 445
: : Newbie at DIY..! Th_cil10
More Numbers : 7580157
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 10:38 am

Yes, Singers are nice machines! The only thing is that they're parts are WAY more expensive than other machines and you can only use their parts. Other machines usually are interchangeable between brands.

I suggest the Reader's Digest New Complete Guide to Sewing. That dear book got me through college and I will probably love it forever. It has great pictures and step-by-step tutorials.

I agree with albinasamara, get the easiest fabric to sew on. Go to the quilting section, pick out some cute Halloween cotton fabric (they always have some, year-round!), get a pattern for a simply skirt and start with that. The more you practice...!

Also, check your local fabric store, often there will be sewing seminars/classes you can take!

Thank reminds me: where is Dark Gentleman? Havn't seen him in quite awhile!
Back to top Go down

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 8:02 pm

^OMG that's right... where is he? Last I heard of him, we didn't have a computer... I hope he doesn't try to get back on GB, only to find we are all gone! Does anyone have his email or any way to send him the links...?
Back to top Go down
Vampira132
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger
Number of posts : 4606
: : The Victorian Woman in Black
: : Newbie at DIY..! Kalbg0
More Numbers : 7674153
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 8:03 pm

^^ I sent him a MySpace message not sure if he has read it though, so he does know. Just havnt got a clue on when he will join up.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 8:11 pm

A myspace message should suffice.

I have had to change light bulb in my machine (I have a bad habit of keeping the machine on even when not in use), but it took me forever to figure out that it required a bayonet bulb.
Back to top Go down
GhostRed
GhostRed

Scorpio Rat

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 8:49 pm

I've seen him in Heavenly Hair, but I cannot get approved for a darn account with them. Does anyone else have one there?

He's a very talented seamster, I sure hope he finds his way over here to give us advice. Neutral
Back to top Go down
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : Newbie at DIY..! Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7585866

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 2:23 pm

GhostRed wrote:
Yes, Singers are nice machines! The only thing is that they're parts are WAY more expensive than other machines and you can only use their parts. Other machines usually are interchangeable between brands.

I suggest the Reader's Digest New Complete Guide to Sewing. That dear book got me through college and I will probably love it forever. It has great pictures and step-by-step tutorials.

I agree with albinasamara, get the easiest fabric to sew on. Go to the quilting section, pick out some cute Halloween cotton fabric (they always have some, year-round!), get a pattern for a simply skirt and start with that. The more you practice...!

One more vote for Singer sewing machines! I also use a Kenmore model I got for real cheap at Sears, i just cuoldn't pass up the bargain. Kenmore makes really good sewing machines.

I also second getting the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing. Of all the sewing books I have, and I have several, this is by far the best. It's thoroughly illustrated and has step by step instructions.

My first sewing project ever was a skirt with stretchy velvet type fabric. That was a pain to sew! Never again!!! I've learned my lesson. blush
Back to top Go down
Luminita
Luminita

Pisces Goat
Number of posts : 59
More Numbers : 7581270

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 5:31 am

my sewing machine is a brothers ls-30, and it hates me.
Back to top Go down
GhostRed
GhostRed

Scorpio Rat

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 9:59 am

Oh my god, Brother machines, NO. Also, NEVER get a White. I seriously threw mine across the room once. Never again.

I'm now saving up for one of those fancy computerized sewing/embroidering machines.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 4:49 pm

Or you could just learn to handsew to look like you used a machine.
Back to top Go down
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : Newbie at DIY..! Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7585866

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 1:07 am

^^I tried that once. Dangit, it's so damn time consuming it's just not worth the effort, really. That's why the sewing machine is one of the most important inventions ever!

The history of the sewing machine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewing_machine
http://inventors.about.com/od/sstartinventions/a/sewing_machine.htm
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 2:44 am

I would agree that the sewing machine was an important invention, but I am always glad I can hand stitch to look like a machine stitch whenever I am without the benefit of a machine.
Back to top Go down
Symmentha
Symmentha

Aquarius Snake
Number of posts : 141
More Numbers : 7576074
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 8:55 am

I have a Husqvarna. Its my baby. Treat your sewing machine with love. Get it serviced. Ask the lovely shop lady how to clean it, take care of it. It will last you many years. Mine is still going uber well after how ever many years.
Back to top Go down
Luminita
Luminita

Pisces Goat
Number of posts : 59
More Numbers : 7581270

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 12:41 pm

i assure you mine just hates me.
Back to top Go down
Katànya
Katànya

Pisces Buffalo
Number of posts : 51
More Numbers : 7579949

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:11 am

Um...

My boyfriend is buying me a sewing machine tomorrow/this weekend, as an early birthday present. It's a Singer Inspiration, as my mum says that Singers are pretty good. I do know how to thread one up and all that... but I've never made anything with one. I've always hand-sewn, and I never did home economics at school. (I moved a lot in my first year of high school, and so I did woodwork.)

Anyway!

Which is best to start out with? I want to make something useful, so not a pillowcase (plus I have too much linen!). tongue It's a toss up between a pair of guys boxers <_< or a circle skirt for myself. Which one do you guys recommend to start with?

I eventually want to make myself a tulle petticoat and then a mini crinoline. Very Happy

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
http://lenlenchan.ath.cx
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Newbie at DIY..! 25883sk
More Numbers : 7413837
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 12:51 pm

I'd say start with a project for yourself. That way it doesn't have to be perfect. Wink Once you feel like you're honing your skills, then you'll be more comfortable making a gift.
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Newbie at DIY..! 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7644822
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 3:35 pm

I agree with RedAngel. It's gonna be so less stressful starting out on something for yourself than on something for the boyfriend. You never know though..you could have been born to the sewing machine and just don't know it yet! Your gonna L~O~V~E that sewing machine!

LOVE! After hand sewing ... by the way and not that your gonna need it, you do have a seam ripper don't you? A must have tool. One of my best friends tongue even now after years of sewing. Hey! Don't for get to come back here and share all the details of how it goes!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Newbie at DIY..! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie at DIY..!   Newbie at DIY..! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie at DIY..!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheDarkRealm :: the threads :: D.I.Y.-
Jump to: