TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU

Go down 
+3
Ginger_Snaps
RedAngel
endless dark
7 posters
AuthorMessage
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7681885
Registration date : 2008-07-21

the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU Empty
PostSubject: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 5:38 pm

ok boils and ghouls, this is for now the list of things added to the list of already banned things for not pollitically correct...

Adam and Eve (replace with "Eve and Adam," to demonstrate that males do not take priority over females)

Blind, the (banned as offensive, replace with "people who are blind")

Blind leading the blind, the (banned as handicapism)

Bookworm (banned as offensive, replace with "intellectual")

Boys' night out (banned as sexist)

Busybody (banned as sexist, demeaning to older women)

Cassandra (banned as sexist)

Chief Sitting Bull (banned as relic of colonialism; replace with "Tatanka Iyotake")

Confined to a wheelchair (banned as offensive; replace with "person who is mobility impaired")

Courageous (banned as patronizing when referring to a person with disabilities)

Craftsmanship (banned as sexist)

Cult (banned as ethnocentric when referring to a religious group)

Deaf, the (banned as offensive; replace with people who are deaf" or "a person with loss of hearing")

Devil (banned)

Dialect (banned as ethnocentric; use sparingly)

Differently abled (banned as offensive; replace with "person who has a physical disability")

Dogma (banned as ethnocentric; replace with "doctrine" or "belief")

Drunken, Drunkenness (banned as offensive when referring to Native Americans)

Duffer (banned as demeaning to older men)

East, Eastern (banned as Eurocentric)

Egghead (banned as offensive; replace with "intellectual")

Elderly, the (banned as offensive; replace with "older people")

Extremist (banned as ethnocentric; replace with "believer," "follower," or "adherent")

Fairy (banned because it suggests homosexuality; replace with "elf")

Fanatic (banned as ethnocentric; replace with "believer," "follower," or "adherent")

Founding Fathers, the (banned as sexist; replace with "the Founders" or "the Framers")

Fraternize (banned as sexist)

God (banned)

Heiress (banned as sexist; replace with "heir")

Hell (banned; replaced with "heck" or "darn")

Heretic (use with caution when comparing religions)

Heroine (banned as sexist; replace with "hero")

Huts (banned as ethnocentric; replace with "small houses")

Insane (banned as offensive; replace with "person who has an emotional disorder or psychiatric illness")

Inspirational (banned as patronizing when referring to a person with disabilities)

Jungle (banned; replace with "rain forest")

Junk bonds (banned as elitist)

Lame (banned as offensive; replace with "walks with a cane")

Limping along (banned as handicapism)

Little person (banned as offensive; replace with "person of small stature")

Lumberjack (banned as sexist; replace with "woodcutter")

Majority group (banned as offensive)

Man of war (banned as sexist; replace with "warship")

Mentally ill (banned as offensive; replace with "person with a mental or emotional disability")

Middle East (banned as reflecting a Eurocentric world view; replace with "Southwest Asia"; may be acceptable, however, as a historical reference)

Minority Group (banned as offensive)

Mother Russia (banned as sexist; replace with "Russia, vast land of rich harvests")

Navajo (banned as inauthentic; replace with "Diné")

Old (banned as an adjective that implies helplessness, dependency, or other negative qualities)

Old wives' tale (banned as sexist; replace with "folk wisdom")

Ombudsman (banned as sexist)

One-man band (banned as sexist; replace with "one-person performance")

Pagan (banned as ethnocentric when referring to religion; replace with "nonbeliever")

Paraplegic (banned as offensive; replace with "person with paraplegia")

Past one's prime (banned as demeaning to older persons)

Pollyanna (banned as sexist)

Polo (banned as elitist)

Regatta (banned as elitist)

Roving the land (banned as reference to Native Americans)

Satan (banned)

Sect (banned as ethnocentric when referring to a religious group, unless separated from an established religion)

Senile (banned as demeaning to older persons)

Senior citizen (banned as demeaning to older persons)

Slave (replace whenever possible with "enslaved person")

Snowman (banned, replace with "snow person")

Soul food (banned as regional or ethnic bias)

Stickball (banned as regional or ethnic bias)

Straw man (banned as sexist; replace with "unreal issue" or "misrepresentation")

Subgroup (banned as offensive reference to cultural differences)

Sufferer of cerebral palsy (banned as offensive; replace with "person who has loss of muscle control")

Suffragette (banned as sexist; replace with "suffragist")

Tomboy (banned as sexist)

Turning a deaf ear (banned as handicapism)

West, Western (banned as Eurocentric)

Yacht (banned as elitist)

STEREOTYPED IMAGES TO AVOID IN TEXT; ILLUSTRATIONS, AND READING PASSAGES IN TESTS:

Girls and Women / Boys and Men: Images to avoid

Women portrayed as teachers, mothers, nurses, and/or secretaries

Women of achievement who are domineering, aggressive, lacking in desirable personal attributes

Women aging less gracefully than men

Women as more nurturing than men

Men as active problem solvers

Men playing sports, working with tools

Men and boys larger and heavier than women and girls

Father expressionless or relaxed in trying circumstances

Females more preoccupied with their appearance than males

Pioneer woman riding in covered wagon while man walks

Women as passengers on a sailboat or sipping hot chocolate in a ski lodge

Girls as peaceful, emotional, warm

Boys as strong, rough, competitive

Boys as intelligent, logical, mechanical

Boys as good at math, science

People of color: Images to avoid

People of color being angry

People of color as politically liberal

African-American people: Images to avoid

African-Americans who have white features or all look alike

African-Americans in crowded tenements on chaotic streets; in big, bright cars; in abandoned buildings with broken windows and wash hanging out; or living in innocuous, dull white-picket-fence neighborhoods

African-Americans who are baggage handlers

Native American people: Images to avoid

Native Americans performing a rain dance

Native Americans who are not part of the American mainstream

Native Americans living in rural settings on reservations

Native Americans with long hair, braids, headbands

Native Americans portrayed as people who live in harmony with nature

Asian-American people: Images to avoid

Asian-Americans as very intelligent, excellent scholars

Asian-Americans as ambitious, hardworking and competitive

Asian-Americans as having strong family ties

Chinese people who have great food

Korean-Americans owning or working in fruit markets

Hispanic-American people: Images to avoid

Hispanics who are migrant workers

Hispanics who are warm, expressive, and emotional

Hispanics in urban settings (ghettos or barrios)

Hispanics wearing bright colors, older women in black, girls always in dresses

Mexicans grinding corn
Persons who are older: Images to avoid

Older people in nursing homes or with canes, walkers, wheelchairs, orthopedic shoes, or eyeglasses

Older people as ill, physically weak, feeble, or dependent

Older people as funny, absentminded, fussy, or charming

Older people who have twinkles in their eyes, need afternoon naps, lose their hearing or sight, suffer aches and pains

Older people who are retired, are at the end of their careers, have lived the most fruitful years of their lives, or are engaged in a life of leisure activities

Older people living with their offspring or with other relatives

Older people who are fishing, baking, knitting, whittling, reminiscing, rocking in chairs, or watching television.

I'm banning this list because I find it offencive to my freedom of speech and other constitutional rights as a free American...

Also its agist and racist in that you cannot show peoples cultures lifestyles or show the older folks doing damn near anything anything.

Also you can no longer show women as achieving good things, holding honorable possitions or being strong in anyway which I find sets the womans rights movement way back. Ands whats with not showing men as smart strong or good at sports, what are we a bunch of ignorant, stupid cavemen?!

This list is TOTALY f**ked UP
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU 25883sk
More Numbers : 7413837
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 9:07 pm

Wow! Where did you find this list, Endless?
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 9:22 pm

I find some of these not only stupid but also funny.

Quote :
Cassandra (banned as sexist)

So, I have to legally change my name? lol.

Quote :
Dialect (banned as ethnocentric; use sparingly)

wtf um.... When referring to how a certain area in the world uses their own language, the correct way to refer to the area's idioms and usages is 'dialect'.... how is this ethnocentric?

Quote :

lolwut. I think this would be a contextual thing. Regardless of what one changes the word to, it's still going to be offensive to the person. Besides, when I'm talking about actual legends, there is a huge difference between a fairy and an elf.

Quote :
Insane (banned as offensive; replace with "person who has an emotional disorder or psychiatric illness")

...What about Nsane? Wink

Quote :
Majority group (banned as offensive) ,Minority Group (banned as offensive)

wtf um.... wut. When speaking statistically, this is how you refer to some group of greatest or lesser numbers, not necessarily stature in society.

Quote :
Pagan (banned as ethnocentric when referring to religion; replace with "nonbeliever")

And those of us of a pagan faith who call ourselves pagan? Context means a lot tongue

.........All in all, this list is comedic gold XD
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 11:12 pm

RedAngel wrote:
I got it from my mother and she got it from one of her classes.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU Bjevig
More Numbers : 7584902
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 12:45 am

endless dark wrote:
RedAngel wrote:

What class was that? There are some words that I recognize as being incredibly offensive, but eventually we would have to just use grunts and gestures lest we offend someone--but then that would be offensive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
WrappedinReflection
star member
WrappedinReflection

Virgo Cat
Number of posts : 3078
: : the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7559365
Registration date : 2008-08-09

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 2:03 pm

Because elf is that much better tongue

Nsane now needs to be called Person who has an emotional disorder or psychiatric illnesslilmunky tongue Politically correct & all these days.
Back to top Go down
https://www.viewbug.com/member/scphotographic
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 2:23 pm

Ginger_Snaps wrote:
endless dark wrote:
RedAngel wrote:

What class was that? There are some words that I recognize as being incredibly offensive, but eventually we would have to just use grunts and gestures lest we offend someone--but then that would be offensive.

I'm wondering about that class too? Just wanting to verify the source -- no offense to your mom, but it sounds like something Fox News would put out there to stir up anti-lefty sentiment.

Political correctness started well enough -- it started as an attempt at respecting people who are not all alike. But as is the case with so many things, extremist nutjobs within the movement had to go crazy with it, and now PC is a derogatory term and considered an illegitimate practice. It wouldn't be a problem if it was viewed and handled with moderation, but moderation is not part of a culture that values overzealousness and greed in all things. Sigh. sad or frown
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 9:36 pm

The class its self really isn't important, heres the link to where the list can be fount

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/education/ed0190.html

I know, it says "catholic education" but dont let that be the determaning factor when reading it. This list is happening in schools, Catholic or not
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 10:10 am

^^ Thanks for the link. I see at the bottom there's an acknowledgement of the source, but the details at the start are still a little sketchy:

"This following list of banned words and stereotypes is an abridgement of a lengthy glossary compiled by a historian from bias guidelines issued by major educational publishers and state agencies. The guidelines are used by writers, editors, and illustrators when preparing textbooks and tests for K-12 students."

OK, which historian? Which state agencies? Are all states following the guidelines? What are teachers or parents saying about this? (I haven't heard anything about this, though I'm friends with several people who are teachers.) How about a link to the unnamed historian's glossary from which this is an abridged list? Where did the bias guidelines come from? And why is a historian tackling this -- the explanation for each change invites the discussion of the terms' historical backgrounds, but those discussions are not there. An online news article would contain this info, but the above link does not.

Replace "snowman" with "snow person"? Between the lacking info and this one sounding like kind of a joke, I think people are only taking the article as fact because of the feathers it ruffles. We can't believe everything we read; I'm sorry to hear that the organizer of your mom's class does. I wish your mom the best in that class, though.

EDIT: I understand now; the writer cited at the end is the historian. I still don't understand where she's getting all this, though. One of my teacher friends had this to say: " From what I can tell this list is from a book by Diane Ravitch, who is an educational historian. She's been on The Daily Show and speaks out against the crazy fervor movies like Waiting for Superman cause. These terms were compiled not in support of their use but to show that a cleansing of the language takes out truth from education. From what I've seen, this terminology is not used in my school. But we also teach in the northeast, which tends to be a different world from other areas of the country."
Back to top Go down
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster
Number of posts : 1421
: : the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU 6tpz4k
More Numbers : 7574736
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 9:46 pm

People are sissies, oh, wait, am I allowed to say that? People are sissies emotionally inept and somehow believe that if something hurt their feelings, then that thing should become illegal as to protect their delicate little feelings from ever being hurt again.

How pathetic.

No one on this planet is above being insulted or becoming the brunt of a joke, nowhere is it stated that people are free from ever being teased or ridiculed. Dealing with stereotypes, teasing, bullying, jokes, etc; this is how someone grows wiser and stronger, moving past these "hurtful words" or thoughts is the way a person finds themselves amidst all the bullsh*t that society and family and media heaps onto you.

I personally feel that people who are paralyzed by the their treatment, (barring some torturous act) are weak, and therefore useless to our species and our planet. Someone unable to get teased without breaking down, or whom dislikes a certain word or phrase so much that it disrupts their lives, is weak, and sadly they're expandable to a point within our species. People who get over things, who take the bad with the good, and grow stronger; those are the people who grow old and do something with their lives. They change the world around them, they help solve problems, they teach others, and they raise children who will usually do the same.

People who get teased and kill themselves, or people who become socially crippled by words or phrases; are stationary, they've ceased to move forward, or they stop moving at all, and therefore are kinda useless. It sucks when you hear about some kid committing suicide, but if some kid can't deal with the nasty little words or actions in highschool or freshman year or college, then they obviously weren't capable of dealing with actual life and actual problems. We hear about kids who kill themselves before age 21: which is awful, but does anyone think these kids could have been strong enough to deal with actual problems during the years 22-98?

There are groups of people out there who obviously take time and effort out of their lives to actively seek out banning words like Deaf, Dialect, Middle East, Wives' Tales ; because with all the problems in the world, banning words is what should take precedence. Who cares about how solar energy and wind energy could power every major city around the world, but a small group of rich men can't make money off something free, so they've enslaved us all by forcing us to buy oil to power filthy engines, or build plants which split atom particles and could potentially kill millions during an accident. Ignore the fact that banks separate from the government of Europe and America making money which the government buys and forces us to pay the difference in taxes is illegal. Forget about endless wars around the globe against ideals, not enemies, are murdering our planets bravest and usually poorest children while politicians and their corporate friends get richer. No, no no, what we need to do is take time to make sure no one says or writes down phrases that makes me feel sad.

I return to my initial statement, people are sissies.

Oh yeah, I've been anyway working my two jobs, like 16 hour work days 5 days a week, so I've missed you all and felt really wordy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fetishfactory.com
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7678565

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 5:20 pm

We've missed you too and yup, people are sissies
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 10:36 am

Spooky wrote:

People who get teased and kill themselves, or people who become socially crippled by words or phrases; are stationary, they've ceased to move forward, or they stop moving at all, and therefore are kinda useless. It sucks when you hear about some kid committing suicide, but if some kid can't deal with the nasty little words or actions in highschool or freshman year or college, then they obviously weren't capable of dealing with actual life and actual problems. We hear about kids who kill themselves before age 21: which is awful, but does anyone think these kids could have been strong enough to deal with actual problems during the years 22-98?

I agree that the list above is ridiculous, to the point of having seriously questioned its origins. But I don't stand with you regarding the instances of teen suicide as a result of what is essentially abuse from their peers.

The two most notable cases in recent memory: Tyler Clementi and Phoebe Prince. Tyler was videotaped in his own room. That crosses lines of stalking and harassment, but it was categorized as bullying only because it took place at an institution of learning, a college campus. And with Phoebe it was stalking and harassment too, a form from which she literally couldn't escape: it wasn't just at school, these kids would follow her home from school in their car throwing things at her and yelling "Irish whore" -- and then when she got home, they would harass her online too. I should also mention, and this is a biggie: Teachers turned a blind eye when she was bullied at school. She had no respite from this at all; this was her life. But again, the mild term "bullying" is used -- only because it began at school. Bull. This was stalking and harassment.

My points: 1) Call a spade a spade and use terms like stalking, harassment and abuse instead of bullying -- because there are laws in place meant to combat the first three, but not bullying.
2) Schools should adopt a zero-tolerance policy on bullying. It's not acceptable to turn a blind eye because no one actually learns from that. No one will learn that a hostile social environment is unacceptable unless we explain that and enforce that.

(returning to topic)
However: That is NOT the same as outlawing the terms altogether. Open dialogue on these terms and their origins needs to be maintained. Like it or not, we define ourselves largely through the language we use. Words are not meaningless. BUT they are not to be discarded out of FEAR. Only discussion can fight fear.

Another thing I want to mention: You can take a lot of abuse in life if you've got positive sources of support to help cancel them out. But you can't always count on that to undo cruelty that never should have been committed in the first place. And some young people who have never known anything but cruelty/abuse don't have the framework to envision anything better for themselves -- that's why they see only one way out.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU Bjevig
More Numbers : 7584902
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 6:20 pm

RedAngel wrote:
The two most notable cases in recent memory: Tyler Clementi and Phoebe Prince. Tyler was videotaped in his own room. That crosses lines of stalking and harassment, but it was categorized as bullying only because it took place at an institution of learning, a college campus. And with Phoebe it was stalking and harassment too, a form from which she literally couldn't escape: it wasn't just at school, these kids would follow her home from school in their car throwing things at her and yelling "Irish whore" -- and then when she got home, they would harass her online too. I should also mention, and this is a biggie: Teachers turned a blind eye when she was bullied at school. She had no respite from this at all; this was her life. But again, the mild term "bullying" is used -- only because it began at school. Bull. This was stalking and harassment.

When it comes to stalking and harassment A. know your rights and B. document every occurrence. If possible, have some kind of recording device on hand so that you can either get the audio and or visual of the occurrences.

As for words, people need to callous themselves and realize that words are just utterance that we attribute certain symbols to, and those symbols can change drastically over time. Bet they didn't know that "fie" meant the same as f**k or damn back in Elizabethan times but yet they have no problem teaching Shakespeare uncensored.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
velvet spider

Number of posts : 246
: : the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7398893
Registration date : 2008-12-08

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 3:41 pm

"Merry Christmas" seems to be headed for the banned list, too. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 10:17 am

Ginger_Snaps wrote:

As for words, people need to callous themselves and realize that words are just utterance that we attribute certain symbols to, and those symbols can change drastically over time. Bet they didn't know that "fie" meant the same as f**k or damn back in Elizabethan times but yet they have no problem teaching Shakespeare uncensored.

True. That's why it's important to learn how "offensive" words came to be, what they really mean, and whether the meaning is changing. But considering that grammar has been cut from most schools' curricula, I don't think we'll see that happen. sad or frown

velvet spider wrote:
"Merry Christmas" seems to be headed for the banned list, too. Rolling Eyes

You may be right, VS. sad or frown Seems like there's such a effort to neuter language that any phrase that expresses a person's beliefs or individuality will wind up on the chopping block. If someone wishes me a happy Hannukah, I won't correct him/her; I just take it to mean "hope your holidays are just as joyous as the one I plan to celebrate." That said, I usually go for "Happy Holidays" b/c it's all-inclusive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 6:34 pm

^^^Well.... Jesus wasn't born in winter, let alone December... tongue

just being argumentative again....

I do get a little irked over some people trying to correct me to Christmas instead of Jule even though I don't really celebrate christian holidays.... same with Ostara/Easter.
Back to top Go down
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster
Number of posts : 1421
: : the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU 6tpz4k
More Numbers : 7574736
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 10:58 am

RedAngel wrote:

These two of the more recent situations are examples of when bullying and teasing crosses a very real social line, and very illegal line as well. Continuing to call them "bullies" is dismissive I agree, these two young people who ended their lives were victims of far more than the simple cruelness that children can display as they age.

The online thing bothers me, simply because the youth put too much of themselves out on the internet. Yes, I've said this before, that I am a member of this forum and at times have discussed personal feelings and beliefs, as well as facts about my life. But the people between 10 and 20 years younger than me seem to vomit everything of their lives without disregard onto the internet. Leaving yourself and your business so open, leaves you vulnerable, why doesn't this fact get through to the youth. I myself allow only what I am comfortable exposing out, and to a small enough group (yes anyone could find it, but even with the resources, most people are too lazy to look). Why can't people realize that secrets are cool, discretion is cool, mysteries are cool; and should only be told to people who you know and trust.

RedAngel wrote:

Another thing I want to mention: You can take a lot of abuse in life if you've got positive sources of support to help cancel them out. But you can't always count on that to undo cruelty that never should have been committed in the first place. And some young people who have never known anything but cruelty/abuse don't have the framework to envision anything better for themselves -- that's why they see only one way out.

This is completely true, and sadly could be corrected. Trey Parker and Matt Stone's comments on the issue of bullying from Bowling For Columbine always seem poignant to me. Don't you wish you could go back in time and tell these kids that in a few years, when school is over, all those cool kids will be losers because they peaked during the ages of 16-19. That the nerds, dorks, freaks and losers leave that period of their lives, mostly the ones who were uncool and had crappy home lives, and usually have the drive and talent to go on to do great things.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fetishfactory.com
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Spooky wrote:

The online thing bothers me, simply because the youth put too much of themselves out on the internet. Yes, I've said this before, that I am a member of this forum and at times have discussed personal feelings and beliefs, as well as facts about my life. But the people between 10 and 20 years younger than me seem to vomit everything of their lives without disregard onto the internet. Leaving yourself and your business so open, leaves you vulnerable, why doesn't this fact get through to the youth. I myself allow only what I am comfortable exposing out, and to a small enough group (yes anyone could find it, but even with the resources, most people are too lazy to look). Why can't people realize that secrets are cool, discretion is cool, mysteries are cool; and should only be told to people who you know and trust.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm not sure why younger people share so much -- I'll bet there's a great anthro-based reason? -- but if I had to guess, I'd say it's a by-product of our own technology. Not necessarily a bad thing; it's certainly helped me open up to people. I think there's a push-and-pull inside everyone: the desire to be accepted while still being protected from rejection. The anonymity of online communication provides a safe environment (or the illusion of one) in which to do that.

Spooky wrote:

This is completely true, and sadly could be corrected. Trey Parker and Matt Stone's comments on the issue of bullying from Bowling For Columbine always seem poignant to me. Don't you wish you could go back in time and tell these kids that in a few years, when school is over, all those cool kids will be losers because they peaked during the ages of 16-19. That the nerds, dorks, freaks and losers leave that period of their lives, mostly the ones who were uncool and had crappy home lives, and usually have the drive and talent to go on to do great things.

Yes. But they'd never believe it. Wink It's interesting that you mention the "peaking" thing -- I have another friend who also put it that way when we were talking about this a while back. I think you're both right -- and it's possible the cool kids unwittingly set themselves up to only head downhill, as a result of thinking they were on top of the world at such an early age.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU   the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the newest politically correct BANNED LIST... is TFU
Page 1 of 1