TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages

Do we need it?

Go down 
+5
Spooky
helen damnation
Ginger_Snaps
WrappedinReflection
endless dark
9 posters
AuthorMessage
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : Do we need it? Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7681885
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Do we need it? Empty
PostSubject: Do we need it?   Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 1:46 pm

So I'm curious to see what people have to say about this.

Do we NEED Psysical contact with other people?

Is this something as people that we need for any kind of well being be it physical mental or even spiritual or is it something that we are trained to need as children? Not only is it a necessity that we have or don't have it but what kinds of contact do we need over another? I mean a hug and a punch are two totaly seperate forms of physical contact and cause two different stimulations but they aren't always as appears, you could hug someone and not really mean anything of it like when greeting someone you havent seen in a long time BUT you could also punch someone in the arm as a form of celebration. There is also the obvious of a hug and a punch, ones affection and ones violents not to narrow anything down to only being one of the two I'm just using this becasue its whats coming to mind as I type...

So question of the day kiddies... As a "social" mamal animal is pysical contact really all that necessary or can we funcion logically and mentally upright with out it, or at the minimum with a restricted amount of it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com
WrappedinReflection
star member
WrappedinReflection

Virgo Cat
Number of posts : 3078
: : Do we need it? Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7559365
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Do we need it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do we need it?   Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 2:09 pm

This has always been an interesting concept to me. I do think we need it at least every day. I understand that some people need social outlets more than maybe the introvert next to them, but it is something I've come to realize that I highly need in my life. I've noticed that I have home-body tendencies, but if I spend too much time on my own without a good social outlet I start to get really sad & down about myself. I need physical & emotional contact with people in order to maintain a healthy emotional level. I am not an outwardly clingy person, nor do I try to bring attention unto myself (talking loudly, acting out, etc) but I do enjoy positive attention such as a compliment or a smile. I don't feel the need to have to go out with people every day/night or have to have people spend every night with me, but I do feel better when I can spend a night with good friends talking, going out to dinner, etc. I enjoy hugs & holding hands with the bf so for me, I do need that physical contact & feel better when I can be close to others.
Back to top Go down
https://www.viewbug.com/member/scphotographic
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Do we need it? Bjevig
More Numbers : 7584902
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Do we need it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do we need it?   Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 4:26 pm

I think it is too ingrained into us as part of our species (a throw back to our evolutionary history) that it would make us ill if we went without it. Touch is about as essential to our well being as breathing is, but we can temporarily substitute contact between humans with other animals (i.e pets).

I was watching a documentary about an "island" made for chimps that pet owners no longer want, and after a long transport in separation, two chimps immediately grabbed each other in an embrace once they arrived at the holding area.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Do we need it? 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7678565

Do we need it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do we need it?   Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 5:23 pm

WrappedinReflection wrote:
This has always been an interesting concept to me. I do think we need it at least every day. I understand that some people need social outlets more than maybe the introvert next to them, but it is something I've come to realize that I highly need in my life. I've noticed that I have home-body tendencies, but if I spend too much time on my own without a good social outlet I start to get really sad & down about myself. I need physical & emotional contact with people in order to maintain a healthy emotional level. I am not an outwardly clingy person, nor do I try to bring attention unto myself (talking loudly, acting out, etc) but I do enjoy positive attention such as a compliment or a smile. I don't feel the need to have to go out with people every day/night or have to have people spend every night with me, but I do feel better when I can spend a night with good friends talking, going out to dinner, etc. I enjoy hugs & holding hands with the bf so for me, I do need that physical contact & feel better when I can be close to others.

I couldnt agree more.

I love hugging my friends and I always kiss my best friend on the lips when we meet and when we part. It's just something I do.

I also dont believe that you can beat the feeling of bare skin on bare skin
Back to top Go down
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster
Number of posts : 1421
: : Do we need it? 6tpz4k
More Numbers : 7574736
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Do we need it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do we need it?   Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 10:25 pm

You do need physical contact, their have been numerous studies on the subject. One could survive without, but they usually make conscious and sub-conscious adjustments and compensations for any lack thereof.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fetishfactory.com
Emmature
Emmature

Virgo Pig
Number of posts : 1038
: : Do we need it? 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7359323
Registration date : 2009-01-08

Do we need it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do we need it?   Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 11:15 pm

I hate these studies because of pictures like this:
Do we need it? 2d2j0o7
where a soon-to-die baby monkey clings to its "surrogate mother." The controversial study showed that even when otherwise taken care of baby monkeys suffered.

Though I know humans are not monkeys, we do share an innate need to feel touch and affection.

On a personal level, I've been bummed ever since I moved back to Austin. It's basically my childhood home as well as being one of the coolest cities on earth, but I have yet to establish a friend circle here so I feel kinda sad and rudderless. As an extreme extrovert, without social contact (beyond phone and computer) I feel lonely.
Back to top Go down
MoonRaven
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 9359
: : Geisha
: : Do we need it? Th_inl10
More Numbers : 7679870

Do we need it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do we need it?   Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 6:30 pm

I need it. Don't care what anyone says tongue
The feeling of being held by Michael makes my day. When I spend a whole day at home doing nothing, I'm lost. I don't know what to do with myself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/moonraven83
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : Do we need it? Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7681885

Do we need it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do we need it?   Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 3:41 pm

What I'll say on the topic is I assume negitive to no contact brings out a negetive reaction such as depression, I also assume the opposite is true as well...
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com
deadcoldgothgirl
supernova
deadcoldgothgirl

Sagittarius Snake
Number of posts : 6332
: : Do we need it? S3mrtd
More Numbers : 7583692
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Do we need it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do we need it?   Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 1:29 pm

I know I need physical contact. A hug or someone rubbing my shoulders makes me feel better. Nothing can replace the feeling of being kissed, hugged, or cuddling with my significant other. Since I don't have a lot of physical contact out here with people I care about, my next alternative is to call them often.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/gothic_freak
Emmature
Emmature

Virgo Pig
Number of posts : 1038
: : Do we need it? 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7359323
Registration date : 2009-01-08

Do we need it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do we need it?   Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 11:40 pm

You know, I even prefer the negative side of human contact. People being snarky online irk me. I wish we could just argue or, if it came to it, fight it out face to face.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Do we need it? 25883sk
More Numbers : 7413837
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Do we need it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do we need it?   Do we need it? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 10:36 pm

^^ I agree with you, Emma, about snarky people online. Everyone seems to hate it, and yet it keeps happening... And that's the interesting thing: most of those people would not be able to hold their ground, or even speak up at all, in a face-to-face confrontation.

Do we need physical contact? I'd say yes. I'd say we need it for our own development, and definitely if we're going to live among others. It keeps us from being self-destructive or destructive toward others, I think -- physical contact probably helps us develop empathy.

That's nothing against online contact. I just think I'd be inclined to commit suicide if I couldn't have physical contact of any kind. Life would be too miserable without even a hand to hold.
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

Do we need it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do we need it?   Do we need it? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do we need it?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheDarkRealm :: the threads :: Religion & Philosophy-
Jump to: