TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages

Prejudiced

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 10:53 pm

So... after being forwarded to YouTube from BuzzFeed, I came across a video in the related videos section.

This person came up with some pretty good points. And being in the mood, I was kind of wondering just how much could be said to be racist and what is fine to say.

Endless, would it be ok to have a thread that tries to list racist things one could say and why it is/could be racist? Some of them I think could be debated, and others I doubt some areas would realize that it is prejudiced or racist.
Back to top Go down
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : Prejudiced Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7585866
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 11:20 pm

"Dirty Puerto Rican tacos."

In any context it sounds really bad.

Please please please understand that South Park references are NOT universally funny.
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : Prejudiced Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7681885
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 11:32 pm

nsanelilmunky wrote:

Endless, would it be ok to have a thread that tries to list racist things one could say and why it is/could be racist? Some of them I think could be debated, and others I doubt some areas would realize that it is prejudiced or racist.
I really don't know how far this kind of topic can go or if it could happen but I'll just say "don't break the TOS" and it should be ok as long as TOS is intact

TOS
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 11:54 pm

I actually had to log out to even see that page.... for those who forget them.

Spoiler:

Okay.... I'm really not even sure where to start Neutral How about German since I'm so gung-ho about that.

*Germans are Nazis and nothing more* I'm not sure why this is such a big one still but it is. Yes, the World Wars were horrific events that should have never happened. But you know what? Germany has had a history before that and after that that always seems to be over looked. Also, Germany is THEE only Axis power that has formally apologized for what happened. Both Italy and Japan? Not a word, yet the world loves them.

*Germans love their beer, lederhosen, and blonds with big boobs* That last one could stand for some guy of any ethnicity, not just Germans (not to mention every person has their own tastes). Also, just because Germany has a lot of beer and beer drinking at their festivals doesn't mean they're crazy about beer to the point of alcoholism. I seriously think America would beat them out on that. Also, lederhosen is a traditional type of costume that is really only found in Bavaria (southern Germany). Most everyone else in Germany hates that stereotype since their traditions are much different.

I'll go into more later, but for now, I'm tired and going to bed. I bet Diva and Vampira could post quite a few considering their religions...
Back to top Go down

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 11:57 pm

La Diva Carlotta wrote:
Please please please understand that South Park references are NOT universally funny.

Ah, satire through slander. This is probably why South Park doesn't always seem funny to me.
Back to top Go down
deadcoldgothgirl
supernova
deadcoldgothgirl

Sagittarius Snake
Number of posts : 6332
: : Prejudiced S3mrtd
More Numbers : 7583692
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 1:43 am

La Diva Carlotta wrote:

I'm sorry for saying that a several months ago and that this is still bothering you. I was drunk when I posted it on my fb wall at 3 am. I wasn't thinking and I didn't mean to offend anyone. The only reason I even posted it was because I saw it in my phone and it made me laugh after a stressful night. It was an inside joke with friends not ment to be vicious. Even though I said it when I realized you were upset, I would like to apologize again since this is still upsetting you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/gothic_freak
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 11:18 am

^^I'm over it. I just really want you to understand that you need to be more careful with the things you say, not just here or on Facebook, but EVERYWHERE.
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 11:52 am

La Diva Carlotta wrote:

Ok first I have to say I'm not trying to be offencive by denying theres offence here and I didn't see the south park that made the reference so I can't say anything about that buuuut. How is that offencive, to me it sounds like some kind of nasty sexual thing like "dirty sanchez"... Shocked sick wait, I just imagened how it would work too...

I'll genetically break my self down later, I know the mix that made me has a ton of these but I'm getting the feeling I'm forgetting a couple parts of my gineto-stu when I type it out
Back to top Go down
deadcoldgothgirl
supernova
deadcoldgothgirl

Sagittarius Snake

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 12:56 pm

La Diva Carlotta wrote:
^^I'm over it. I just really want you to understand that you need to be more careful with the things you say, not just here or on Facebook, but EVERYWHERE.

I understand that. But being as I was drunk I really didn't pay attention to how it would affect other people. I'm not saying everyone is like this, but I try to let that stuff just roll off my back when it is something "offensive" to me. I'm not saying it is right either.

I'm polish, irish, german, french, russian, bohemian, and hungarian. There is probably more then that but I don't know what they are yet. On my moms side, one of the people that came over here were horse snatchers. So not only can you say a lot of negative things about where I come from, but you could also say my family were criminals too.

Even though it has nothing to do with race, I'm Catholic. I know not everyone on here believes that but I'm fine with it. But if I got upset or said something about every time christianity was spoken towards negatively here, I'm sure I would have gotten banned, or everyone would hate me for being a religious pusher.

endless dark wrote:
La Diva Carlotta wrote:

Ok first I have to say I'm not trying to be offencive by denying theres offence here and I didn't see the south park that made the reference so I can't say anything about that buuuut. How is that offencive, to me it sounds like some kind of nasty sexual thing like "dirty sanchez"... Shocked sick wait, I just imagened how it would work too...

I'll genetically break my self down later, I know the mix that made me has a ton of these but I'm getting the feeling I'm forgetting a couple parts of my gineto-stu when I type it out

It was based off of the episode about taco flavored kisses. My friend eric was just rolling with it. He is part Puerto Rican. You are right about the sexual aspect. I was like 17 when it was made. This might be offensive to some, but if you want to see what the full context was...

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 1:52 pm

You know, I have a very similar problem within my family. They seem to view themselves as "not racist" based on the fact that they don't really wish death on those other groups. Hence, they'll make jokes among themselves and to their friends (who are like minded) that are indeed very racist. Things like how apparently blacks have less intelligence or those of Latin American decent running at the sound of someone saying Border Patrol in Spanish. Just because it seems "funny" or "acceptable" within a certain group of people doesn't mean it is. Racism in any place or instance, is unacceptable.

One, people should start to wonder why it is funny to belittle another group. What did they do to the person personally? What does a person gain by these actions and/or words? Is it because they live a life that they feel is lowly and feel that by belittling others they somehow can make themselves a higher caste member than those they make fun of?

These sort of "jokes," which are really not funny, just start or perpetuate harmful stereotypes and gives people fodder for treating those groups badly when they come in contact with them. It also teaches younger or less informed people who are listening bad information that they might use so on and so forth.

For the Puerto Rican taco thing in particular: This gives a message that Puerto Ricans are equal to nothing but whores, and dirty ones at that. That they only focus on the woman's sexuality and that there are not achievements for them outside of prostitution. This is nowhere near the truth, but others will see it as such and could/would use this misconception against many Puerto Ricans that they came across. Being drunk is really no excuse.

...And this whole long post has yet to even get into the realm of other "ethnic/religious" groups.... like how all Middle Eastern people are supposedly terrorists or that all Jews are rich and tight-fisted with their wealth. Or Native Americans being "Noble Savages" and other stereotypes.
Back to top Go down
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 3:38 pm

nsanelilmunky wrote:

For the Puerto Rican taco thing in particular: This gives a message that Puerto Ricans are equal to nothing but whores, and dirty ones at that. That they only focus on the woman's sexuality and that there are not achievements for them outside of prostitution. This is nowhere near the truth, but others will see it as such and could/would use this misconception against many Puerto Ricans that they came across. Being drunk is really no excuse.

Yes! Thank you!

Some folks really need it spelled out for them.

nsanelilmunky wrote:
...And this whole long post has yet to even get into the realm of other "ethnic/religious" groups.... like how all Middle Eastern people are supposedly terrorists or that all Jews are rich and tight-fisted with their wealth. Or Native Americans being "Noble Savages" and other stereotypes.

On the tight-fisted Jew thing: My husband is Jewish and I converted before we married. My family, however, stil believes this silly stereotype about Jews being cheap. In fact, my mom is constantly giving me tips on how to wrangle money from my husband. Rolling Eyes It's ok, mom. If I need something he'll have no problem providing.

And not all Jews are wealthy. In fact, most are average middle class folks who work hard. Many have occupations in education and social services (definitely not high paying jobs), as Jewish tradition has a strong foundation in social justice, education, and the like.
Back to top Go down
deadcoldgothgirl
supernova
deadcoldgothgirl

Sagittarius Snake

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 5:00 pm

nsanelilmunky wrote:

1) I would like to point out like I said before he is part Puerto Rican. So if I'm being racist thinking a skit he did was funny, then I guess I am. Should I have posted it where everyone could see it. No. I should have posted it in a personal message. But that is where being drunk and not thinking come in as an excuse.

2) If an African American said something with "nigga" in it, and another friend of a different race thought it was funny, is that racist too? Even when they tag the person that said it in the comment to make very sure they were talking to that person?

3) Since he is a guy and said "Suck my dirty Puerto Rican taco" he was talking about his male parts. I don't know where you get the whole demoralizing woman as whores part.

4) I want to make clear that I am not in any way trying to personally attack anyone on here. I'm only talking about the point.
Back to top Go down

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 5:36 pm

^^^The fact that Diva was offended should tell you that it was a racist comment. And a guy telling people to "suck his taco" is also sexist since taco is usually meant as a vagina and also just rude in general since he seems to think that everyone is of the level of a whore that can be ordered around. All those examples you gave ARE racist. Just because some African Americans use that word doesn't mean they all find it acceptable.

All these points aren't directed to you but to the world in general. If you are getting offended by us saying these things are offensive, think why. These statements should be used as pointers to help avoid confrontation and insults. You're in college. Part of the whole college thing is being a part of the whole "academic elite" who generally pride themselves on being open to other's feelings and views and trying to inform others to those views. Ignoring these types of comments and thinking that they are okay is really just going to limit your career and social life in the future as the world is getting smaller and smaller and those of other areas and ethnicities will often be your coworkers or your bosses.
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 7:12 pm

can we get back on track, unless I'm mistaken this wasn't supposed to be about one guys taco or a racist taco or any taco but about "a thread that tries to list racist things one could say and why it is/could be racist?" The taco has hi-jacked and at this point is really over debated...
Back to top Go down
SPF
vip member
SPF

Scorpio Number of posts : 1679
: : Fashionista
: : Prejudiced 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7570101
Registration date : 2008-07-31

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 7:39 pm

My family is Jewish, and they are all cheap and business savvy, but I dont always think that is a bad thing lol. Sometimes people fall into their own stereotypes, sometimes they do not (but it is funny when they do lol). People are people, so whatever.

I think that it is important to sometimes be able to laugh at ourselves/culture and recognize the difference b/w satire and racism (im sure everyone has an opinion on this)....which I think maybe is what this thread is about???

I am really sorry, but I am a little confused
Back to top Go down
deadcoldgothgirl
supernova
deadcoldgothgirl

Sagittarius Snake

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 10:55 pm

nsanelilmunky wrote:
All these points aren't directed to you but to the world in general. If you are getting offended by us saying these things are offensive, think why. These statements should be used as pointers to help avoid confrontation and insults. You're in college. Part of the whole college thing is being a part of the whole "academic elite" who generally pride themselves on being open to other's feelings and views and trying to inform others to those views. Ignoring these types of comments and thinking that they are okay is really just going to limit your career and social life in the future as the world is getting smaller and smaller and those of other areas and ethnicities will often be your coworkers or your bosses.

I'm not offended by the fact someone has said they are offended by certain words. I thought the entire thing was buried. I was a little bothered when I saw that old skeletons were coming out of the dirt. Even after apologizing repeatedly. I really looked up to said member and was really upset when I found out I hurt her.

What I'm upset by is the other statements that seem attacking such as "some people need it spelled out for them." Other things that seem attacking are where you are basically talking about my future career and verbally paint the picture I say things like this everyday. It happened once. I don't say things like that everyday. If you knew me in real life I'm normally obnoxiously polite. I may just be reading them in the wrong context, but that is how the last part came across.

SPF wrote:
People are people, so whatever. I think that it is important to sometimes be able to laugh at ourselves/culture and recognize the difference b/w satire and racism.

I agree with that statement. And it made me think of this video. Then I had to listen to all of the soundtrack.

Back to top Go down

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 12:19 am

SPF wrote:
Sometimes people fall into their own stereotypes, sometimes they do not (but it is funny when they do lol).

Sometimes... My parents drink like a German stereotype and it's really not fun growing up with that many alcoholics.

Another one that hasn't really been touched on yet is sexism. While the occasional compliment is nice, it's really sexist (at least to me) when guys can't come up with anything nice about you other than how nice your a$$ looks. There's some like me that would rather people focus on my brain than my cup size.

The whole "that's not a woman's job" bit pisses me off too. Or the "why don't you have any kids yet?" Not everyone follows the biblical formula for women. I've even been told that I need to "learn my place" in respect to men. Apparently the whole equality thing was just a mirage.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Prejudiced Bjevig
More Numbers : 7584902
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 2:13 am

Does being cheap and arriving to appointments and places early make me Jewish? Nope, that is just how I was raised. Really, people are just people.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 12:05 pm

Yes I locked it. Why? Becasue people need to take a break from this for a little while and just chillax, I'm not going to say what I want to right now because I'm capable of self censorship. Just take a few days, avoid this topic or better yet forget about it becase its obvious it cant happen without feelings being hurt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Prejudiced Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prejudiced   Prejudiced I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prejudiced
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheDarkRealm :: the threads :: Politics & World Events-
Jump to: