TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages

The Joy of Quiet

Go down 
+3
deadcoldgothgirl
La Diva Carlotta
ravengrim
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : The Joy of Quiet Evil10
More Numbers : 7687256
Registration date : 2008-07-21

The Joy of Quiet Empty
PostSubject: The Joy of Quiet   The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 1:03 am

The Joy of Quiet

Has it really come to this?

In barely one generation we’ve moved from exulting in the time-saving devices that have so expanded our lives to trying to get away from them — often in order to make more time. The more ways we have to connect, the more many of us seem desperate to unplug. Like teenagers, we appear to have gone from knowing nothing about the world to knowing too much all but overnight.

Internet rescue camps in South Korea and China try to save kids addicted to the screen.

Writer friends of mine pay good money to get the Freedom software that enables them to disable (for up to eight hours) the very Internet connections that seemed so emancipating not long ago. Even Intel (of all companies) experimented in 2007 with conferring four uninterrupted hours of quiet time every Tuesday morning on 300 engineers and managers. (The average office worker today, researchers have found, enjoys no more than three minutes at a time at his or her desk without interruption.) During this period the workers were not allowed to use the phone or send e-mail, but simply had the chance to clear their heads and to hear themselves think. A majority of Intel’s trial group recommended that the policy be extended to others.

Interesting.
Back to top Go down
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : The Joy of Quiet Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7585866
Registration date : 2008-07-23

The Joy of Quiet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joy of Quiet   The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 3:25 am

Interesting indeed. It seems that I am always tethered to my computer, and it does keep me from doing more productive things. And don't get me started on all the stupid texts and calls i get. Sometimes I just want to shut everything off: computer, television, mobile phone.
Back to top Go down
deadcoldgothgirl
supernova
deadcoldgothgirl

Sagittarius Snake
Number of posts : 6332
: : The Joy of Quiet S3mrtd
More Numbers : 7583692
Registration date : 2008-07-24

The Joy of Quiet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joy of Quiet   The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 6:14 pm

I have the same issue. Can I stand to be away from my computer for a week? Yes I can, but I always seem to be around it anyway. I can't however stay away from my phone for more then a few minutes at a time. It is pretty sad considering if Matt isn't texting me, I really don't have anyone trying to contact me.

I hear about this a lot since my feild involves using electronic media.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/gothic_freak
WrappedinReflection
star member
WrappedinReflection

Virgo Cat
Number of posts : 3078
: : The Joy of Quiet Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7559365
Registration date : 2008-08-09

The Joy of Quiet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joy of Quiet   The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 6:52 pm

I watched a news clip about the camps for Korean & Chinese children to get them away from their computers/game systems. One kid would spend pretty much all day on his computer & refuse to leave it for dinner, to go outside, etc. His mom would try everything to lure him away to no avail. I find that very sad considering I spent all my free time outside as a child or playing board games, reading, coloring, etc. I am sure it's extremely hard for parents to raise a child in such an electronic society :|But it's also the parents that feel they need to get these sort of things for their child. This post also reminded me of a commercial I saw the other day about turning off the devices & taking your family to the forest to explore & become closer as a family.
Back to top Go down
https://www.viewbug.com/member/scphotographic
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : The Joy of Quiet Bjevig
More Numbers : 7584902
Registration date : 2008-07-22

The Joy of Quiet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joy of Quiet   The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 7:42 pm

I can admit to having an internet addiction that leads to me being sedentary, but at least I can say that I can get up and do some actual work if necessary.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat

The Joy of Quiet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joy of Quiet   The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 7:46 pm

WrappedinReflection wrote:
This post also reminded me of a commercial I saw the other day about turning off the devices & taking your family to the forest to explore & become closer as a family.

There are billboards near my school that have an unplug campaign that encourages children to disconnect from their gaming devices and actually explore the world with their hands and eyes and not with a computer.
Back to top Go down
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster
Number of posts : 1421
: : The Joy of Quiet 6tpz4k
More Numbers : 7574736
Registration date : 2008-07-28

The Joy of Quiet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joy of Quiet   The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 2:17 pm

I go three or four days without turning on my computer usually, and normally only watch movies or series on DVDs on my TV, so maybe an average of 2 hours a day if that. I'll forget to charge my cheap little cellular phone after the battery dies out for days as well, and I don't own an portable music because I don't like being unable to sense the world around me. I adore the gifts of our modern world, but I am no slave to them; a decent book, going to the gym, a CD playing in the background while I do my artwork are all entertainment enough for me during down or personal time. So many are so out of touch with reality because of the synthetics in their lives, they miss the world as it flies by them, and I don't want to be that way ever. Kids especially need to get out there and experience the world.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fetishfactory.com
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat

The Joy of Quiet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joy of Quiet   The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 8:35 pm

^^I only listen to my mp3 player when I am in the comfort of my home for the same reason.
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : The Joy of Quiet 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7678565
Registration date : 2008-07-21

The Joy of Quiet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joy of Quiet   The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Sometimes I'd like to live in a cave with just a good book and a vintage bottle of cava. No phone, no internet, no people - just me and my pup Smile
Back to top Go down
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster

The Joy of Quiet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joy of Quiet   The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 1:16 pm

Ginger_Snaps wrote:
^^I only listen to my mp3 player when I am in the comfort of my home for the same reason.

Right, I don't want to not hear the car that jumped the curb coming, because I needed to listen to Human Aftertaste or Project 12:01 right then and there.

Helen,
The only problem with reading a good book with wine is that I always have to reread those last two pages I had stopped at because it gets a bit fuzzy.
Back to top Go down

The Joy of Quiet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joy of Quiet   The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 2:31 am

Unplugging is nice once in a while, but I don't think I could go long without my headphones. They help me keep my mood in check and appear a bit more normal to the "normies." If I hadn't had my headphones a few weeks ago when I was cutting and having my anxiety attacks, I wouldn't have been able to leave my dorm room without being in constant tears and the music also made me not want to cut as much/deep. Granted, having an actual person there would have made me not cut at all, but apparently having a mental disorder equals ax murderer to most people and they avoid me like the plague.

But... yeah. I need my headphones. End ramble.
Back to top Go down
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster

The Joy of Quiet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joy of Quiet   The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:24 am

I secretly love you, and your headphones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Joy of Quiet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Joy of Quiet   The Joy of Quiet I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Joy of Quiet
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheDarkRealm :: the threads :: Politics & World Events-
Jump to: