TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries

Go down 
+8
albinasamara
BadArt23
helen damnation
ravengrim
angelofthenight
Ginger_Snaps
Vampira132
Synth
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Synth
Synth

Aquarius Horse
Number of posts : 578
: : Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries S3mrtd
More Numbers : 7578848
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries Empty
PostSubject: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 5:21 am

Right now I keep discussing with myself this topic.

Most 'modern goths' listen to Metal as thier main gener.

Is this because goth has evolved and changed or is it simply confusion.

I just keep thinking of my friends who run around in thier COF hoodies and Iron Maiden tops with thier new rocks and I wonder would we on this forum consider that goth?

I am not attacking metal I love it muchly myself but I wonder if I more ecclectic taste in music, including the 80s goth or the newer 'gothic' stuff would bridge that gap?

Also, what do you consider modern goth music?

Synth

xxx
Back to top Go down
Vampira132
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger
Number of posts : 4606
: : The Victorian Woman in Black
: : Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries Kalbg0
More Numbers : 7672840
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 5:40 am

Metal music has soo many sub-genres and most of if can be considered Gothic or dark some mains bands would be Within Temptation, Nightwish and Asrai etc. etc. This is mainly to do with the lyrics and the dark sound to the music.

Does it really matter if a Goth doesn’t listen to Goth music? Goth is much, much more than that. Its all about what we believe in (Wicca/Paganism/Satanism), what we read (Edgar Allan Poe, H.P Lovecraft), our philosophies on life, our creative/DIY side, I could go on and on.

I would probably considered more of a Metal head than a Goth but you wouldn’t think of that to look at me because I wear all the crushed velvet, corsets, bustle skirts etc. etc.

Not all Goth’s listen to Metal but they listen to Industrial which can be considered Goth to them (not so much to me); So we could have the same argument about them (im sure someone will respond to this grin ).

Modern Goth music now is mostly Metal and Industrial, 80s music has now gone and left us as well as the bands, but only a few remain to this day.

Conclusion: Listen to whatever you want regardless of genre, doesn’t make you any less Goth than what you already are…
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 7:50 am

Vampira132 wrote:
\
Not all Goth’s listen to Metal but they listen to Industrial which can be considered Goth to them (not so much to me); So we could have the same argument about them (im sure someone will respond to this grin )

Oooohh yes indeedy, you saw this coming from a mile away... Very Happy

I agree with Vampira that Goth is MUCH more than music alone... that being said, we must take into account our roots, which stem directly from the mouth of 80's Goth rock. It could be argued that anything not withstanding in that specific genre isn't "Goth", but then I suppose what one person perceives as "Gothic" would be challenged against another person's viewpoint. It all harps back to the LONG, UNENDING debate over "What is Goth?"

A debate... I'd rather not have... AGAIN. drunken Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries Bjevig
More Numbers : 7583589
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 8:20 am

I'm goth and I like metal. You can be a goth that likes metal just as much as you can be a goth that likes bluegrass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
angelofthenight
star member

Scorpio Tiger
Number of posts : 5158
: : The Pumpkin Queen
: : Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7580313

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 3:16 pm

I listen to everything ranging from Justin Timberlake, boy bands, Timberland to Lacuna Coil, CoF, TBM, Xandria to some country, yet i'm still Goth. Music doesn't make the Goth. It's all about the way you view the world, the way you express yourself, what you do, read and the list goes on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blkgothchick
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries Evil10
More Numbers : 7685943

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 5:13 pm

Is there a boundry.I mean does there even need to be one?
I'm going to go out on a limb and say something,I think we are what we are in our hearts.
What we listen to matters so very little in the grand scheme of things.I'm pretty ecclectic in my musical taste.I listen to everything just about except for screamo music(ugh Emo music,not for me)Metal,Old School Punk,Deathrock,all of those things and yet like Vampira you might not mistake me for any of those things.I am a velvet and silk kind of girl.
How I view the world and my place in it makes me what I am.
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7677252

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 5:30 pm

ravengrim wrote:
Is there a boundry.I mean does there even need to be one?
I'm going to go out on a limb and say something,I think we are what we are in our hearts.
What we listen to matters so very little in the grand scheme of things.I'm pretty ecclectic in my musical taste.I listen to everything just about except for screamo music(ugh Emo music,not for me)Metal,Old School Punk,Deathrock,all of those things and yet like Vampira you might not mistake me for any of those things.I am a velvet and silk kind of girl.
How I view the world and my place in it makes me what I am.

I totally agree. Why does everything have to fit into a neat little pigeon hole? Hell I'm like a stick of rock with gothic written right through my very core but I love old school punk and I love certain rock bands. Please don't say 80s goth doesnt matter as my little heart would break in two. That was the music that I grew up with and still love very much - if I could go to work each day enveloped in a wee cloud of dry ice I would be a happy little girl!

Goth is so much deeper and so much more than what you choose to listen to. It's what YOU are and part of your very essence and has it so many different aspects Cool
Back to top Go down
BadArt23
BadArt23

Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 389
: : Where You At?
: : Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries 29cndqs
More Numbers : 7576112
Registration date : 2008-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 6:19 pm

Synth, are you still in high school? I think I understand where you're coming from on this.
It's annoying because there's always the group of kids at school labeled the "goth" kids, yet they're only goth because of how they appear (y'know, Tripp pants and eyeliner and dirty clothing). That's just what we call them so we know who one another is referring to. However some people think that's what goth actually is, and then they talk like they know about it, and I really just want to duct tape their mouths shut.
It's not that goths don't listen to metal, it's that that's all the mainstream "goths" you see every day are promoting those types of bands.
I dunno, I think it could help me better prove my super eliteness of the knowledge of "goth" music, if that time ever did come that I would need to, and I'm sure I would thouroughly enjoy it if it did.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 7:33 pm

I honestly don't really think that "Goth" should have "one set style" of music to listen to. Be yourself and listen to what you like, what pleases your ear. For those who try to label what you are or listen to, let them. I personaly thing that everyone should just listen to what they want and wear what they feel like. Who is ANYBODY to label ANYBODY?
Back to top Go down
albinasamara
albinasamara

Gemini Rooster
Number of posts : 338
: : Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries 2cf2wwg
More Numbers : 7580212

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 10:06 pm

Allow me to make a vague and incoherent rambling here.....

I think it's sort of like the chicken and egg question. Sure, the music started the subculture as we know it, but it was that mindset/personality/worldview that allowed those musicians to create the music in the first place. Also you have the artists and authors that contributed (Poe, etc)....these types of personalities have always been present but I think the subculture only came about recently b/c of the huge population explosion of humans, and the technology that allows these types of music to exist.

That said, I think we should call a spade a spade. I know many goths have varied/eclectic music tastes and goth/metal is a popular crossover. A lot of the problem is the media giving misinformation and people taking that as fact (like the kids with the Tripp pants and such).

We must not forget the music that started the subculture but we must also accept new things and evolve or we die out. But that doesn't mean we should start being overly liberal about it...if we stand for nothing, we'll fall for anything and the subculture is at risk of being bastardized like the emo subculture has become.

Maybe I'm a bit harsh but I don't care. I'm not saying if you listen to anything other than goth, then you can't call yourself a goth. That would make me a hypocrite. And it is more than JUST the music, but I think all the aspects are very connected and dependent on each other.

I really hope this made sense. :-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/albinasamara

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 11:43 pm

^Could I kiss you? Please?! That was not incoherent rambling at all! You made very valid points... many of which I think we all agree on. clap
Back to top Go down
albinasamara
albinasamara

Gemini Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 3:29 am

Yes, you may kiss me! lol

As long as you don't drool

And I should correct myself, I really meant to say "I'm not saying if you listen to many different kinds of music including goth, then you can't call yourself a goth. "
Back to top Go down
Dark Gentleman
Dark Gentleman

Pisces Pig
Number of posts : 394
: : Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries 2vwy0zq
More Numbers : 7570814
Registration date : 2008-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 3:43 am

albinasamara wrote:
Yes, you may kiss me! lol

As long as you don't drool

ME NEXT AFTER AKASHA!! I'll try not to drool too much. Wink
Back to top Go down
albinasamara
albinasamara

Gemini Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 9:53 pm

Awww DG. I'm all aflutter Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster
Number of posts : 1421
: : Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries 6tpz4k
More Numbers : 7573423
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 12:58 am

Goth was a sub-genre of the 60's punk scene, which was bred from an angst that rock couldn't provide. Then, metal was the natural progression of rock becoming heavier and darker, but the niche it carved for itself, became inspired and infused with the Gothic attitude more and more over the last two decades. Genres, fads and styles do that all the time; which I like. As the lines blur, most fans can sit in the ever expanding gray-area and enjoy the sights and sounds.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fetishfactory.com
Luminita
Luminita

Pisces Goat
Number of posts : 59
More Numbers : 7579957

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 6:19 am

I agree with most of what has been said. It's more about who a person is then what they listen to. I love old school blues and jazz, Jrock, Metal, and the select country hiphop or rap song. Does this make me any less goth? I still love my victorian,roaring 20's, and 30's inspred clothing. I still enjoy sumptuous fabrics and great contrutction.

But i think there is still a line. I don't consider the trip pants wearing metal heads at my school to be goth, they might evolve to be goth later in life. But as of this momment they aren't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 1:32 pm

Luminita wrote:
But i think there is still a line. I don't consider the trip pants wearing metal heads at my school to be goth, they might evolve to be goth later in life. But as of this momment they aren't.

Agreed. This is the one exception in which I am actually thankful to have to wear a uniform to school. I fear what atrocities to my eyes I might have to endure otherwise. sick
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries Bjevig
More Numbers : 7583589

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 5:25 pm

Luminita wrote:

So, that would not make me a goth?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
angelofthenight
star member

Scorpio Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 5:37 pm

But Tripp pants are very comfy and come in handy, especially for us ghouls that don't like purses. I wear them all the time when I need extra pocket room.
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 5:39 pm

Does wearing Hello Kitty jammies with slippers that have dog heads that really bark on them make me a non goth? grin

Actually I think the slippers might be defective because they keep barking and barking - poor old Barney Hound of Dracula keeps trying to save me from them heart
Back to top Go down
angelofthenight
star member

Scorpio Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 5:40 pm

Ooo!!!! Yay for Hello Kitty! cat
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm

cat Yay indeed! I must add in my defence that the jammies are black except for the huge Hello Kitty face across my backside!
Back to top Go down
angelofthenight
star member

Scorpio Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 5:44 pm

Hehe, I own some pink ones, seeing that i'm a fan of pink. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 5:46 pm

Don't tell anybody but I have a pink Hello Kitty vest and pants set! Sssssssh now or nobody will believe that I am a superannuated 80s goth who dresses only in black Wink
Back to top Go down
angelofthenight
star member

Scorpio Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 5:48 pm

Hehe, you're secret is safe with me Mrs. D. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries   Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Goths and Metal heads, Finding the boundaries
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next