TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Electric Power Useage Regulated

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Electric Power Useage Regulated 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7654013
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Electric Power Useage Regulated Empty
PostSubject: Electric Power Useage Regulated   Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 5:13 pm

I had caught just a little bit of the precident's on-line address a couple weeks ago proposing boxes being instaled in our homes that, well "says" just how much power we're allowed to use.

When the address was over there was mention of places such as the UK and California here that are already having some kind of regulation over power use.

Anyone else heard anything on this?
Back to top Go down
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Electric Power Useage Regulated Evil10
More Numbers : 7696447
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Electric Power Useage Regulated   Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 5:51 pm

Is this what you're talking about cyn?

The 'Smart Grid'
Ultimately the most significant change to America's energy usage and efficiency may be the retooling of the entire electricity grid and transforming it into a so-called "smart grid." This is essentially an amalgamation of modern technologies in the distribution and supply of electricity. It uses digital technology (such as digital electricity readers, which would replace manual readers) to coordinate supply and demand of electricity across the nation. It combines more efficient distribution of electricity to consumers with advanced long-distance transmission lines that would be able to take alternative energy sources (such as wind power) to electricity markets far away.

As such, a smart grid would introduce two-way communication between energy suppliers and consumers, allowing utilities to direct power more efficiently away from low-energy users to high-energy users depending on the time of day or need. It would also give consumers more room to create their own usage preferences by actually programming how (and when) their appliances use energy. The smart grid would also regulate electricity use of homes and businesses by being able to turn off appliances that are not being used during peak times.

The concept is simple enough and would update America's electricity infrastructure (currently running on technology not much different from its nascent stages in the 19th century) to a modern digital consumer/provider system. However, such a national grid would necessitate replacing all of America's electricity meters, as well as all transmission lines and all transformer stations, a project with a likely price tag of somewhere near $200 billion. The current stimulus package, however, commits only $4.5 billion to a smart-grid upgrading of some 3,000 miles of transmission lines and equipping about 40 million homes with "smart meters." This funding will not be enough to begin a serious overhaul of America's electricity transmission network. It is more an attempt to kick-start industry and private businesses and move them toward an eventual retooling.

On Investments and Smartmeters
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.

PostSubject: Re: Electric Power Useage Regulated   Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 8:21 pm

Thankyou so much for finding this and typing all itup! That's part of it. From what I got and this wasn't just a couple DJ's talking as in the case of the SpongeBob commercial, which is by the way still being aired. I heard it in the wee hours just last night. Back to topic though, this was one of thoses political radio talk shows that also aired the on-line address the President had given.

He was proposing these "boxes" be installed in our homes and would emit a type of alert sound (alarm) when the alloted units of power were getting close to being used up. So meh I thought I'd ask all of you if you'd heard anything. Also along with this was some sort of solar panel systems set up with each residents that you could use for your power, but what ever you didn't use could be sold off to the power company. I saw this kind of system set upin the works on a Nova program. I think it was either in the UK or Scotland though.

I'll look tonight some for a transcript and may break down and watch this Offical Presidential Address on youtube. Suspect I really didn't think we're were at the point where we were going to ration power. Not that I'm a big user, but that's just a scary prospect.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Electric Power Useage Regulated   Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 8:30 pm

cynfullov wrote:
I had caught just a little bit of the precident's on-line address a couple weeks ago proposing boxes being instaled in our homes that, well "says" just how much power we're allowed to use.

When the address was over there was mention of places such as the UK and California here that are already having some kind of regulation over power use.

Anyone else heard anything on this?

There is certainly no such thing over here in the UK at the moment Cyn.
Only thing that I can possibly equate with this is that there has been a move towards water meters.
Point being that rather than people pay for the share of the local city in their water bill they are now paying for individual use.
But so far it tends to be mainly voulantary.
Back to top Go down
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Electric Power Useage Regulated Evil10
More Numbers : 7696447
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Electric Power Useage Regulated   Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 8:40 pm

I think if we ration power use then we have bigger problems than I thought we did.
If this country is headed in that direction it will be a long hard change for everyone who lives here.
Right now I don't think we have enough money to start a project like that.
meh
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

PostSubject: Re: Electric Power Useage Regulated   Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 9:16 pm

That's soo true!.... (Not about you not knowing like we're worse off than you thought we were! Uhhh not that we are bad off here, but your up on your knowlege of things! ehhh.. Do you know what I'm tryin' to say? I hope. Just about the lack of funs & how much of a change, gosh what'a change, that we would be in for.)

What had started the whole conversation was a woman had asked the President when we were going to get all the jobs that have been outsourced back. And I heard all this part of the address.. he said we don't want thoses outsourced jobs back and that we should that we be looking to create new jobs in the energy field. That we are lacking the man "power" with the skills to install all the lines and "stuff" needed to put this whole solar panel and box proposal into action. That there are many job opportunities there.

Also he said... that we probably haven't seen the last of jobs to be outsourced. It's horribly sad to think of though, because thoses people getting thoses outsourced jobs I know really need them, but for our country and our people's well being here, I think thoses jobs are wanted and much needed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electric Power Useage Regulated   Electric Power Useage Regulated I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Electric Power Useage Regulated
Page 1 of 1