TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7654013
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 Empty
PostSubject: Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79   Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 4:48 pm

Mark Tran
guardian.co.uk, Monday 16 November 2009 13.07 GMT
Article history

Edward Woodward: starring role in cult movie classic The Wicker Man. Photograph: PA

Edward Woodward, the versatile actor who starred in The Wicker Man and television dramas Callan and The Equalizer, has died at the age of 79.

He had been suffering from various illnesses, including pneumonia, and died in hospital, his agent said. Janet Glass issued a statement praising his "brave spirit and wonderful humour".

It said: "Universally loved and admired through his unforgettable roles in classic productions such as Breaker Morant, The Wicker Man, Callan, The Equalizer and many more, he was equally fine and courageous in real life, never losing his brave spirit and wonderful humour throughout his illness."

Woodward began his career on the stage at the Castle theatre, Farnham, in 1946. After graduation from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, he worked extensively in repertory companies as a Shakespearean actor throughout England and Scotland, making his London debut in Where There's A Will in 1955. He also starred in the film adaptation that same year. His work in the West End included Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet, both in 1955, as well as Cyrano de Bergerac in 1971. Having established himself, he also worked on Broadway in New York and in Australia.

In 1967 he was cast as David Callan in the Armchair Theatre play A Magnum for Schneider, which became the long-running ITV hit show Callan from 1967 to 1972. He also starred in the 1974 film version. Woodward became well-known to TV audiences, playing a reluctant, world-weary professional killer working for a shadowy branch of the British government's intelligence services known as "the Section". Woodward demonstrated his ability to express controlled rage that occasionally erupts.

In 1974, Woodward played the memorable character of Sergeant Howie in the film classic The Wicker Man, who is eventually set alight by pagan worshippers on a remote Scottish island. The film was recently remade with Nicolas Cage. Another fine role came in 1980 when he played Harry Morant in the Australian film Breaker Morant.

Woodward found himself starring in a hit series in the 1980s, in the American TV series The Equalizer as a British former intelligence operative. The series ran from 1985 until 1989. After filming a few episodes of the third season, Woodward suffered a coronary. For several episodes, additional actors were brought in to reduce the workload on Woodward as he recovered.

During his career, Woodward appeared in more than 2,000 television productions. His vocal capability and acting skill enabled him to make a number of appearances when time allowed on the BBC's Victorian-era music hall programme, The Good Old Days.

Woodward was twice married, first to Venetia Mary Collett. They had two sons, both of whom became successful actors, as well as a Tony award-nominated actor daughter. His second marriage was to Michele Dotrice, daughter of his contemporary Roy Dotrice, in 1987. They have one daughter, Emily.

candles Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 Tombstone Edward

Wonderful Actor

Last edited by cynfullov on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 25883sk
More Numbers : 7423028
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79   Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 4:49 pm

Oh! My mom & I really enjoyed his work in The Equalizer. RIP Mr. Woodward. candles
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Vampira132
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger
Number of posts : 4606
: : The Victorian Woman in Black
: : Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 Kalbg0
More Numbers : 7683344
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79   Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 3:08 pm

.R.I.P. Edward Woodward I will know him best in the Wicker Man candles
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79   Edward Woodward, star of The Wicker Man and Callan, dies aged 79 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1