TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7691076
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 Empty
PostSubject: Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74   Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 8:38 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2009/nov/19/jeanne-claude-christo

Quote :
Artist Jeanne-Claude, who created the 2005 Central Park installation The Gates and other large scale 'wrapping' projects around the globe with her husband Christo, has died. She was 74.

Jeanne-Claude died last night at a New York hospital from complications of a brain aneurysm, her family said in an e-mail statement.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said he spoke with Christo this morning and offered condolences on behalf of all New Yorkers.

The Gates festooned 23 miles (37 kilometers) of Central Park's footpaths with thousands of saffron drapes hung from specially designed frames.

More than 5 million people saw The Gates, and it was credited with injecting about $254 million into the local economy.

Christo the more famous of the duo was saddened, the family statement said, but remains "committed to honour the promise they made to each other many years ago: that the art of Christo and Jeanne-Claude would continue."

That includes completing their current installation, Over The River, Project for the Arkansas River, State of Colorado, and The Mastaba, a project in the United Arab Emirates.

The Colorado project, which they had done parts of on and off for decades, involves spanning miles of the river with woven fabric. They chose the location near Canon City because of its river rapids and access to roads and footpaths.

It is expected to be realised by summer 2013 at the earliest, according to the couple's office.

Their other projects include wrapping the Reichstag in Germany, the Pont Neuf in Paris, the Kunsthalle in Bern, Switzerland and a Roman wall in Italy.

A 1991 project involved thousands of bright yellow and blue umbrellas positioned across miles of inland valleys in Japan and California.

Their projects required mammoth manpower and miles of fabric and other materials. For the umbrella project, a total of 1,880 workers were used. They recycled all materials following each project.

The couple said they never accepted any sponsorship and financed all their temporary installations through the projects, including the sale of their preparatory drawings, collages, scale models and original lithographs.

The Mastaba (the Arabic word for bench) envisions a pyramid-like structure made of 410,000 brightly colored oil barrels stacked horizontally and rising 492 feet (150 meters) high and 984 feet (300 meters) wide.

"Hundreds of bright colors, as enchanting as Islamic mosaics, will give a constantly changing visual experience according to the time of the day and the quality of the light," the artists' website says.

The couple was looking at five possible sites for the project at the time of Jeanne-Claude's death, their office said.

The two artists met in Paris in 1958 and had been collaborating for 51 years on temporary public arts projects. They made their home in Manhattan, where they had lived for 45 years.

Jeanne-Claude, who sported signature orange-dyed hair, once said that the couple, like parents who wouldn't favor one child over another, felt that "each project is a child of ours."

But she added that their favorite project was, "the next one."

Plans for a memorial will be announced at a later date, but the family said they will donate her body to science, as was her wish.
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 25883sk
More Numbers : 7423028
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74   Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 10:54 pm

Oh, that's so sad!

The pair's installation work always offered a fresh, surreal perspective.

My heart goes out to Christo. They were true partners in every sense.

RIP Jeanne-Claude. candles
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7654013
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74   Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 2:41 pm

Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 Tombstone

What amazing things they accomplished as well as having been together .. for all those years.
Back to top Go down
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7595057
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74   Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 4:53 pm

RIP Jeanne-Claude. sad or frown

Still think The Gates in Central Park was total crap.
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7691076
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74   Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 6:58 pm

that might be the diffrence of being there and not being there, I'm not there so I'm wishing I could have seen it and you're there and just like meh its crap
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74   Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jeanne-Claude dies aged 74
Page 1 of 1