TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library Evil10
More Numbers : 7696447
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library Empty
PostSubject: Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library   Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 8:38 pm

Let me explain.

I go to a private school that is rather strict. Recently, the principal and school teacher council released a (very long) list of books we're not allowed to read. I was absolutely appalled, because a large number of the books were classics and others that are my favorites. One of my personal favorites, The Catcher in the Rye, was on the list, so I decided to bring it to school to see if I would really get in trouble. Well... I did but not too much. Then (surprise!) a boy in my English class asked if he could borrow the book, because he heard it was very good AND it was banned! This happened a lot and my locker got to overflowing with the banned books, so I decided to put the unoccupied locker next to me to a good use. I now have 62 books in that locker, about half of what was on the list. I took care only to bring the books with literary quality. Some of these books are:

>The Perks of Being a Wallflower
>His Dark Materials trilogy
>Sabriel
>The Canterbury Tales
>Candide
>The Divine Comedy
>Paradise Lost
>The Godfather
>Mort
>Interview with the Vampire
>The Hunger Games
>The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
>A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
>Animal Farm
>The Witches
>Shade's Children
>The Evolution of Man
> the Holy Qu'ran
... and lots more.

Anyway, I now operate a little mini-library that no one has access to but myself. Practically a real library, because I keep an inventory log and give people due dates and everything. I would be in so much trouble if I got caught, but I think it's the right thing to do because before I started, almost no kid at school but myself took an active interest in reading! Now not only are all the kids reading the banned books, but go out of their way to read anything they can get their hands on. So I'm doing a good thing, right? Oh, and since you're probably wondering "Why can't you just go to a local library and check out the books?" most of the kids are too chicken or their parents won't let them but the books. I think that people should have open minds. Most of the books were banned because they contained information that opposed Catholisism. I limit my 'library' to only the sophmores, juniors and seniors just in case so you can't say I'm exposing young people to materiel they're not mature enough for. But is what I'm doing wrong because parents and teachers don't know about it and might not like it, or is it a good thing because I am starting appreciation of the classics and truly good novels (Not just fad novels like Twilight) in my generation?
3 months ago
Additional Details
More books I have:
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Slaughterhouse-5
Lord of the Flies
Bridge to Terabithia
Catch-22
East of Eden
The Brothers Grimm Unabridged Fairytales.
...the list goes on.
3 months ago

Twilight is banned also, but I don't want that polluting my library.
3 months ago

As for getting the press involved, reporters are not allowed on campus. Besides, my parents would be so mad if they found out I was doing this.
3 months ago

(This question was asked on Yahoo answers 3 months ago )
So what do you think is she doing the right thing?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library   Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 8:53 pm

Yes.

Just because they attend a private school doesn't mean they should lower their standard of education. They're classics for a reason. If they're that concerned that these books will lead students away from "the one true god' then maybe they need to fix their own problems before trying to ostracise those of different views.

Another thing is, most of those that were listed are fiction. Fiction is meant to be different. Most of those listed actually teach some really good social/live lessons.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library 25883sk
More Numbers : 7423028
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library   Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 9:03 pm

Yes. Absolutely. Ignorance wreaks a heck of a lot more damage than any book can. Knowledge, and the discussion it sparks, is better than the fear that ignorance breeds.

In general, I'm against censorship of the creative arts.
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library   Student Thwarts School’s Book Ban by Forming Secret Lending Library I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1