TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Japan's fashion rebellion goes West

Go down 
+5
Morwenna
Alenuska
endless dark
helen damnation
ravengrim
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Japan's fashion rebellion goes West Evil10
More Numbers : 7696447
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Japan's fashion rebellion goes West Empty
PostSubject: Japan's fashion rebellion goes West   Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 3:21 pm

An underground youth culture in Japan which makes a rebellious fashion statement against traditional rules on eastern beauty, is taking hold on Britain's youth.
Manba involves devotees wearing dark tans, white make-up around their eyes and hair that is often a combination of neon colours.
British teenagers like 18-year-olds Eilish and Declan got caught up in manba after an interest in Japanese culture led them to start researching on the internet, where they came across the style.
Manba in Japan is also known as ganguro, gonguro, yamamba and mamba.
Yama-uba in Japanese is the name of a mountain hag in Japanese folklore whom the fashion is thought to resemble.
It has been around for nearly a decade and is an eye-catching statement against conformity.
When the practitioners began darkening their skin, widening their eyes and wearing blue contact lenses, they were making a rebellious statement against the traditions of fair-skinned beauty.
The rebellion has now, perhaps somewhat ironically, been taken up by Britain's naturally fair-skinned youth.
I went to spend some time with Eilish and Declan to find out why the fashion appeals them to.
Glitter
When I met them early one morning, they had already started applying their make-up as they planned to meet other British members of their Japanese circle later that afternoon in London's China Town.
They start their routine by applying self tan to their bodies.
Eilish rubs the self tan on her neck but her face is darkened much more heavily.
She smears the coffee-bean powder on her pale skin and tries to rub it in so that it does not look "patchy".
Declan explains that he buys his foundation from Afro-Caribbean shops as normal shops do not sell powders that are dark enough.
They then use black eyeliner pencils and a white marker pens to create big eyes which look like they droop, framed by false eyelashes.
The look is finished off with glitter and white lipstick.
They tell me they learnt to apply the make-up through watching make-up tutorials on YouTube.
Declan and Eilish say they have been accused of racism for darkening their skin in this way, but they say this could not be further from the truth.
Eilish insists that she is "not mocking anybody" and Declan asks, "what black person looks like this?"
Another member of the group says that she does not like her white skin and covers up if she is unable to get a spray tan.
"I just think it looks good - nowadays it's more popular to be tanned," Declan adds.
The British followers of this Japanese subculture are also into the music, which is called Eurobeat, and practise dance moves called Para-Para.
"It's kind of like line dancing," says Eilish.
"But it's a group dance where everyone does the same thing and it just uses your hands."
Group following
Eilish's mobile phone rings every time she receives a message on Facebook.
Her social networks are important as she has friends in Japan and the US who are also into the style.
"There's a Japanese Facebook [type of site] called Mixi and there are a lot of manba on there and when they find out that you're manba in the UK, they're like, 'what?!'"
"They all speak in Japanese so I have to use a translator to talk to them. There are also some in America. I'm quite good friends with some of the girls who do it in America."
Eilish's father Peter thinks that his daughter might look a bit strange, but she is, he says, "learning about another culture"
Her mother insists that the style is about much more than just "dressing up".
She tells me she thinks that this is more about creative expression and that she admires her daughter for her interest.
As we all walk out the house and down the street, people look.
Brightly coloured hair, clothes and unusual make-up sets them apart from the crowds who are travelling into London on the underground.
Eilish says that people often don't want to sit next to them.
In China Town, Eilish and Declan meet some of their follow manba followers.
Gabby, 22, with her bright pink hair and sunglasses, says she loves the style.
"I think it's adorable, it looks really cute, it takes a lot of skill," she says.
"Some people have the attitude that Western girls can't do it as well, but we're doing our own thing."
Toni, 21, says she really likes to have make-up that creates really wide eyes.
She acknowledges though that it might "sound really silly" because what they are doing is trying to be like the girls in Japan who are trying to look like Western girls.
"We're Western girls trying to be Japanese girls, trying to be Western - it seems like a funny circle to go around."

Does anyone else remember talking about this on the old G.B. boards?
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Japan's fashion rebellion goes West 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7687756

PostSubject: Re: Japan's fashion rebellion goes West   Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 5:15 pm

I remember that on the other place Laughing

I'm afraid my opinion hasnt changed Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Japan's fashion rebellion goes West Evil10
More Numbers : 7696447

PostSubject: Re: Japan's fashion rebellion goes West   Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 6:55 pm

No,mine hasn't either.
If you clicked on the link you saw that it wasn't exact;y a great look for these girls.The girls in Japan it looked kind of cute on,but I guess they might do something diffrent with it.
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : Japan's fashion rebellion goes West Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7691076

PostSubject: Re: Japan's fashion rebellion goes West   Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 7:12 pm

they looked like extremely tanned angry clowns... its not a good look
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com
Alenuska

Capricorn Pig
Number of posts : 270
More Numbers : 7586695
Registration date : 2008-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Japan's fashion rebellion goes West   Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 8:42 pm

Not my thing however if it makes them happy then thats whats important I guess.
Back to top Go down
Morwenna
star member
Morwenna

Capricorn Cat
Number of posts : 3717
: : Japan's fashion rebellion goes West 25a7xqo
More Numbers : 7589426
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Japan's fashion rebellion goes West   Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 12:04 am

They make a total mockery of the overly-tanned, bleach blond California valley girls from which the style was inspired. In that way, I love it, because it's so ironic, but I hate the way it looks. It's anti-goth. Laughing
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
More Numbers : 7691076

PostSubject: Re: Japan's fashion rebellion goes West   Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 12:45 am

Morwenna wrote:
They make a total mockery of the overly-tanned, bleach blond California valley girls from which the style was inspired. In that way, I love it, because it's so ironic, but I hate the way it looks. It's anti-goth. Laughing
I like the whole ironic/mockery thing too... but I still think they look like super tan angry clowns... like sun burnt vally girl juggalo's... not a good look
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com
albinasamara
albinasamara

Gemini Rooster
Number of posts : 338
: : Japan's fashion rebellion goes West 2cf2wwg
More Numbers : 7590716
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Japan's fashion rebellion goes West   Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 5:26 pm

I suspect that life in Japan is rarely boring.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/albinasamara
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : Japan's fashion rebellion goes West Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7595057

PostSubject: Re: Japan's fashion rebellion goes West   Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 9:36 pm

albinasamara wrote:
I suspect that life in Japan is rarely boring.
Ha ha!!!! exactly
Back to top Go down
Morwenna
star member
Morwenna

Capricorn Cat
Number of posts : 3717
: : Japan's fashion rebellion goes West 25a7xqo
More Numbers : 7589426

PostSubject: Re: Japan's fashion rebellion goes West   Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 10:19 pm

I hope not, I'm going there in September and I'll be there for 11 months. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Lolita Rose
Lolita Rose

Scorpio Horse
Number of posts : 114
: : Japan's fashion rebellion goes West Th_cil10
More Numbers : 7580087
Registration date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Japan's fashion rebellion goes West   Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:54 pm

Hmm...I think this is another one of those styles like Scene, that looks terrible on the average person, but if its done right it can look adorable. I've seen asian girls with this style and its so cute, but a little strange. These two...haven't quite got it yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Japan's fashion rebellion goes West   Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 5:37 pm

^^Yeah. some people really do pull it off well.
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Japan's fashion rebellion goes West 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7687756

PostSubject: Re: Japan's fashion rebellion goes West   Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 5:40 pm

nsanelilmunky wrote:
^^Yeah. some people really do pull it off well.

It still reminds me of Ibiza in the 80s and before you ask, NO I DIDNT GO!
Back to top Go down
TheDarkHippie
TheDarkHippie

Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 1101
More Numbers : 7356574
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Japan's fashion rebellion goes West   Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 10:11 pm

ugh, those two girls look sooo bad! though, while looking at other pics of it online, it does look cute. I think there problem is the super dark face and the super white limbs.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/joanestabrook#/profile.php?id=757050283&
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Japan's fashion rebellion goes West   Japan's fashion rebellion goes West I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1