TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World

Go down 
+5
helen damnation
RedAngel
endless dark
La Diva Carlotta
cynfullov
9 posters
AuthorMessage
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7654013
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World Empty
PostSubject: Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World   Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 10:48 am

By BELINDA LUSCOMBE Belinda Luscombe – 1 hr 51 mins ago
There's been a big fuss this week because Michelle Obama wore shorts. She's worn shorts before - to walk the dog, do stuff around the White House. But the photos of her wearing them in that iconic descending-from-Air-Force-One-onto-the-tarmac setting proved too much for the media. Obamas? Check. Summer news doldrums? Check. Controversy? Close enough. It was a story.

And people reacted. The Today Show's poll on whether she should have shown that much thigh got one of the show's biggest responses ever, with 83% pro-shorts. Local papers found "experts" to discuss the implications of the shorts for the Obama White House, international papers analyzed what it said about American culture, the blogosphere took up every angle from what this said about the objectification of women to the taxonomy of the shorts: Hot pants? Cutoffs? Booty Shorts? (See pictures of Michelle Obama's style evolution.)

Then, just as vehemently, there was a big fuss over the big fuss. Many people were given to observe that there were more important things to talk about. Several commentators pointed out that, in fact, the conflict was fake; nobody had come out, on the record, as being against the shorts.

But the truth is there was a conflict. It is within each of us. While nobody would make Mrs. O wear couture in Arizona in August, the truth is, she just didn't look particularly good in shorts. Her arms are much admired. Her legs are just, you know, legs. Nobody immediately stepped forward, as J. Crew did with her cardigans, to announce "Hey, we made those! You can buy them too at unflatteringshorts.com." (See pictures behind the scenes with Michelle Obama.)

Mrs. Obama was elevated to fashion-icon status way before last November. She has gone along with it, appearing on the cover of magazines and dressing up for big occasions. But it's not in her personal or political interest to hew too closely to that image. It's too limiting. It's exhausting. And, most of all, it separates her from the bulk of American womanhood, who do not have the wherewithal or energy to put it together perfectly every day. It's contraindicated with the just-folks charm that is the core of the Obamas appeal.

If we needed any more proof that looking good has its limits, it comes later this month - Aug. 28, to be exact - from an unlikely source: Vogue. In a new documentary, The September Issue, about the creation of the magazine's bumper September issue, the biggest revelation is that the women who have the most important jobs there, apart from editor Anna Wintour, do not look all that glamorous.

They don't wear much makeup. Their outfits are unremarkable. They work really hard and get pretty scruffy doing it; the magazine's chief creative genius, 70-year-old Grace Coddington, spends most of the movie whipping up images that drip with luxury and beauty while her own hair looks like it was groomed with a rake. (Read TIME's cover story, "The Meaning of Michelle.")

For women, Michelle's shorts were long on significance. They give accomplished, glamorous people license to do what the power brokers at Vogue do, and that is to wear whatever the hell they like sometimes. So, ladies, get out your least flattering outfits - your terry shorts, your oversize T-shirt, those extra comfortable arch-supporting shoes - and wear them with pride. All the fashionable women are doing it.
Back to top Go down
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7595057
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World   Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 11:02 am

faint
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7691076
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World   Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 11:55 am

Oh dear gods no, Shorts in the summer, whats this world coming to!?! gringringrin

I don't see what the big deal is about the shorts... oh, no wait the big deal is about there not being a big deal about the shorts, or... Ow my brain just cramped crazykookykooky

Last edited by endless dark on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World   Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 12:04 pm

Rolling Eyes There really are more important things to talk about. Seriously.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World 25883sk
More Numbers : 7423028
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World   Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 2:01 pm

It's sick and sad that people are so accustomed to fetishizing public figures that a regular human being can't wear a pair of shorts without it inspiring dissertations.

Michelle Obama is the most relatable First Lady we've seen in years. Let her do her thing, for Pete's sake!

(edit: Cyn, that's a rant at the general public, not at you. Smile)
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7687756

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World   Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 5:33 pm

They're hardly SHORT shorts are they and lets face it, the lady has the pins to wear them

Why must the media be so fecking shallow?
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World Bjevig
More Numbers : 7594093
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World   Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 1:06 am

ATTENTION MEDIA: Leave people's fashion choices alone!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7654013
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World   Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 5:53 pm

RedAngel wrote:
(edit: Cyn, that's a rant at the general public, not at you. Smile)

Aw thankyou, but you don't ever have to worry about something like that.

For the most part, when I post articles, it's as if in my mind we're all gathered in a parlor and I just happen to be one among us sharing something out of a daily paper. I'm not one usually to be offened if there is ever a different opinion taken on things than that of my own. I have different tastes, just as I feel I should be allowed, so I believe others should be too.

I still don't understand why the manker of the shorts weren't just mentioned. I think she looks fine in them, but also she is the First Lady and just her having chose them should account for something. After all, she could have any pair of shorts she wanted in the world.
Back to top Go down
MoonRaven
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 9359
: : Geisha
: : Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World Th_inl10
More Numbers : 7689061

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World   Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 6:14 pm

LEt the woman show some thigh. Come on now people.
THey wasted space to type up that story. How about they right a story about the violence in the world.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/moonraven83
SPF
vip member
SPF

Scorpio Number of posts : 1679
: : Fashionista
: : Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7579292
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World   Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 8:00 pm

are people really complaining about this. I dont even think her shorts were that short
Back to top Go down
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster
Number of posts : 1421
: : Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World 6tpz4k
More Numbers : 7583927
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World   Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 8:47 am

When you have multiple 24-7 news stations, you have to fill that time with something.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fetishfactory.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World   Michelle Obama and the Shorts Heard Round the World I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1