TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Anyone else heard about this? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Anyone else heard about this? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Anyone else heard about this? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Anyone else heard about this? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Anyone else heard about this? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Anyone else heard about this? I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Anyone else heard about this? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Anyone else heard about this? I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Anyone else heard about this? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Anyone else heard about this? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Anyone else heard about this? I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Anyone else heard about this? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Anyone else heard about this? I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Anyone else heard about this?

Go down 
    3 posters
    AuthorMessage
    endless dark
    admin
    endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
    Number of posts : 6473
    : : Fearless Leader
    : : Anyone else heard about this? Egbrlw
    More Numbers : 7691076
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Anyone else heard about this? Empty
    PostSubject: Anyone else heard about this?   Anyone else heard about this? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 12:35 am

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2009-08-12-microsoft-lawsuit_N.htm

Toronto-based i4i, which has 30 employees, claims that Microsoft violated an obscure patent related to Extensible Markup Language or XML. It's a key software component of many websites and computer programs, including Word.

Judge Leonard Davis agreed Tuesday, ordering Microsoft to pay $290 million in fines and stop selling Word in the U.S. in 60 days. That could derail a core business for the world's largest software maker.

As part of Microsoft Office, Word is used by hundreds of millions of people worldwide. Office accounted for more than $3 billion in sales in the company's last fiscal year.

"It's not a question of fear or pride or anything else," Loudon Owen, i4i chairman says. "We're very respectful of Microsoft, but when you're in the right you have to persevere."

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Microsoft | Research In Motion
    Microsoft plans to appeal. "We are disappointed by the court's ruling," said Microsoft spokesman Kevin Kutz in a statement. "We believe the evidence clearly demonstrated that we do not infringe and that the i4i patent is invalid."

I4i, which mainly makes software for drug and defense companies, obtained the patent for a "customized XML" tool in 1998. XML is a specialized alphabet that can capture any kind of computer file as a regular text.

Microsoft started using XML as an alternative way to save Word files in Word 2003 and made it the default format for all Office files in Office 2007.

This made it easier for Microsoft and its partners to create programs such as accounting software that generates reports in Word formats, says Rob Helm, analyst at research firm Directions on Microsoft.

I4i sued Microsoft in 2007, claiming that Word uses the patented process. Now, "Microsoft is behind the eight ball and has 60 days to see if it can get the federal appeals court to stay the injunction," says Henry Sneath, a Pittsburgh intellectual property lawyer.

No one expects Microsoft to actually pull Word off the market. It's a big company with deep pockets that has faced many legal challenges over the years. It could win the appeal, settle with i4i, or even buy out the company.
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.darkrealm13.com
    ravengrim
    ravengrim

Virgo Rat
    Number of posts : 7192
    : : The Fallen Angel
    : : Anyone else heard about this? Evil10
    More Numbers : 7696447
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else heard about this?   Anyone else heard about this? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 12:46 am

I haven't until now.
    I don't think this is the first time Microsoft has had problems
    PalTalk
    Back to top Go down
    Ginger_Snaps
    Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
    Number of posts : 4545
    : : Werewolf
    : : Anyone else heard about this? Bjevig
    More Numbers : 7594093
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else heard about this?   Anyone else heard about this? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 3:29 am

It's not surprising since Microsoft made it into the world by copying others.
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else heard about this?   Anyone else heard about this? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone else heard about this?
    Page 1 of 1