TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Funny And Parts Are Even True

Go down 
+3
Ginger_Snaps
La Diva Carlotta
ravengrim
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Funny And Parts Are Even True Evil10
More Numbers : 7666248
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Funny And Parts Are Even True Empty
PostSubject: Funny And Parts Are Even True   Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 11:44 pm

Twilight, Robert Pattinson, and the Enduring Appeal of Broody, Pale White Dudes

What is it about vampires that so capture the imagination of young girls?
Perhaps it has something to do with the onset of menses and the complexity of emotions that are part and parcel to the experience. Along with the blood comes an understanding of mortality as well as the ability to bear life - this all ties in with the gestalt of the vampire. He has the power to both give life and take it by penetrating virginal skin and sucking out the viscous crimson. Psychologically it all makes sense…

or maybe they just like broody, pale white dudes like Robert Pattinson.

When I was in High School, the ‘broody, pale white dude’ du jour was Robert Smith (lead singer of The Cure). He was the poster-boy of the whole Goth movement which included such notables as Siouxsie and the Banshees; the Sisters of Mercy; Joy Division and Bauhaus. Technically it was a pretty fringe group back then, but it had a following that was as possessed and die-hard as they come. In those days, if you were a sensitive outcast who much preferred reading comic books to playing football, your only hope of ever getting laid was to find yourself a Goth chick. I tried my best, donning the obligatory Doc Martens along with the clumsily applied eye liner stolen from my mother’s make up case. Unfortunately, it never panned out for me. I was far too surly to ever truly be broody. Besides which, I was a Billy Joel fan which automatically restricted me from full membership to the club

20 years later, it’s all about Robert Pattinson and “Twilight,” which I just don’t get. Of course, I’m obviously not remotely the proper demographic for this stuff as I’m neither gay nor a 12 year old girl, but still… To me the guy looks like an effeminate, pouty pugilist, who’s taken one too many socks to the punim. His whole look is so overly stylized and contrived, I mean, what’s with the hair?

As far as his acting skills are concerned, from what I’ve seen he’s kinda like the bassist in Spinal Tap - luke warm water. Neither here nor there, just egg shell white, wall paper mundane-ity. Still, this kid is the hottest tween sensation since Kirk Cameron and that’s fine by me. Hell I’m no party pooper, let the little chicklets enjoy their new found messiah to their hearts content. However, it does give me pause. If our heroes are a direct reflection on ourselves as a society, then what does it mean when they’re all surface and no substance? Robert Smith set a legion of disaffected young ladies hearts a twitter with his rats nest hair and smeared lipstick, but underneath the cultivated façade was a genuine artist. Robert Pattinson is just another pretty face, which I fear is all anyone wants to aspire to be anymore.

Just something to ruminate on I suppose.

As far as the whole romantic Vampire/Goth aesthetic is concerned, I personally could never really get with that program anyway. I mean, the ‘undead’ should be be creepy not kissable after all. To me Nosferatu will always be the ultimate “Prince of Darkness.” Now THAT guy was bad-a$$!

I liked this one.
Even if he is kind of an @ss,I have to give the guy credit for what he wrote.
There's some truth in it.
Back to top Go down
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : Funny And Parts Are Even True Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7564858
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Funny And Parts Are Even True   Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 12:15 am

Quote :
To me the guy looks like an effeminate, pouty pugilist, who’s taken one too many socks to the punim. His whole look is so overly stylized and contrived, I mean, what’s with the hair?

Ain't that the truth!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Funny And Parts Are Even True Bjevig
More Numbers : 7563894
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Funny And Parts Are Even True   Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 12:16 am

I find Pattinson ugly; I much prefer Daniel Radcliffe (I'm referring to this article).
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Funny And Parts Are Even True 25883sk
More Numbers : 7392829
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Funny And Parts Are Even True   Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 10:05 am

I'm not attracted to Pattinson at all, but I can't call anyone ugly. I get the overall point of the article, though.
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster
Number of posts : 1421
: : Funny And Parts Are Even True 6tpz4k
More Numbers : 7553728
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Funny And Parts Are Even True   Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 12:06 pm

I think his send off was well-wrote:

If our heroes are a direct reflection on ourselves as a society, then what does it mean when they’re all surface and no substance? Robert Smith set a legion of disaffected young ladies hearts a twitter with his rats nest hair and smeared lipstick, but underneath the cultivated façade was a genuine artist. Robert Pattinson is just another pretty face, which I fear is all anyone wants to aspire to be anymore.

There was a time when the youth wanted to learn how to do something extraordinary, and it would make them become famous: an athlete, a drummer, a painter, an actor, an astronaut, a singer, an author. These were the dreams of children, and their desires would become the means to an end, which would become fame. However, now the aspirations of the last generation is to simply be famous, and the vague notion of people paying attention to you is thought to be this. It is why things like MySpace, YouTube, Guitar Hero, Blogs, Rock Band, Celebutaunts and all the awful Reality Shows are so "important" to our society. People look at these a$$holes on these forms of media, thereby creating the "fame" of these people. Then they hope to one day be an a$$hole on a Video Blog or VH1 show too, so that other a$$holes can watch and talk about them.

It's a vicious cycle of self-fulfilling prophecies and the hollowing of dreams in our world.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fetishfactory.com

PostSubject: Re: Funny And Parts Are Even True   Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 1:26 pm

meh I'm not really a fan of anyone mentioned... The Cure had talent, but I just never got the taste for their music...

Though Spooky stated it very well in regards to the current mindset... "Must be famous!! Who cares about talent!"...

tongue I still stand by my statement of burning all the mainstream/teenies and taking our creatures back.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Funny And Parts Are Even True 25883sk
More Numbers : 7392829
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Funny And Parts Are Even True   Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 3:18 pm

Spooky wrote:
I think his send off was well-wrote:

If our heroes are a direct reflection on ourselves as a society, then what does it mean when they’re all surface and no substance? Robert Smith set a legion of disaffected young ladies hearts a twitter with his rats nest hair and smeared lipstick, but underneath the cultivated façade was a genuine artist. Robert Pattinson is just another pretty face, which I fear is all anyone wants to aspire to be anymore.

There was a time when the youth wanted to learn how to do something extraordinary, and it would make them become famous: an athlete, a drummer, a painter, an actor, an astronaut, a singer, an author. These were the dreams of children, and their desires would become the means to an end, which would become fame. However, now the aspirations of the last generation is to simply be famous, and the vague notion of people paying attention to you is thought to be this. It is why things like MySpace, YouTube, Guitar Hero, Blogs, Rock Band, Celebutaunts and all the awful Reality Shows are so "important" to our society. People look at these a$$holes on these forms of media, thereby creating the "fame" of these people. Then they hope to one day be an a$$hole on a Video Blog or VH1 show too, so that other a$$holes can watch and talk about them.

It's a vicious cycle of self-fulfilling prophecies and the hollowing of dreams in our world.

I agree 100% with your view. It's all become so empty... so many people expect to be, in essence, "celebrated" for not doing a blessed thing. And so few people actually want to give an effort.

As for Pattinson's popularity... behold the power of excellent marketing. And the pitiful willingness of the consumer who eagerly buys into whatever's "sparkly" enough. Sorry; cynical mood.

Last edited by RedAngel on Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : a chance to think about it)
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
albinasamara
albinasamara

Gemini Rooster
Number of posts : 338
: : Funny And Parts Are Even True 2cf2wwg
More Numbers : 7560517

PostSubject: Re: Funny And Parts Are Even True   Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 10:02 pm

This reminds me of a lol I made a while back...

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/6/22/128901299977294332.jpg

And Spooky, I totally agree with your sentiments.

Last edited by albinasamara on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : qwerty)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/albinasamara
TheDarkHippie
TheDarkHippie

Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 1101
: : Funny And Parts Are Even True Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7326375
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Funny And Parts Are Even True   Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 12:01 am

That article and spooky did make a good point!

Though, I must say, I like Nsanes' Idea:
"I still stand by my statement of burning all the mainstream/teenies and taking our creatures back"

grin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/joanestabrook#/profile.php?id=757050283&
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Funny And Parts Are Even True Bjevig
More Numbers : 7563894

PostSubject: Re: Funny And Parts Are Even True   Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 12:27 am

albinasamara wrote:
This reminds me of a lol I made a while back...

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/6/22/128901299977294332.jpg

And Spooky, I totally agree with your sentiments.

Very Happy

I expect Jimmy to have more talent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Funny And Parts Are Even True   Funny And Parts Are Even True I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Funny And Parts Are Even True
Page 1 of 1