TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7588492
Registration date : 2008-07-23

New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage Empty
PostSubject: New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage   New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 12:12 am

New York Senate votes against legalizing gay marriage by a large margin, 38-24
By Kenneth Lovett
Daily News Albany Bureau Chief

ALBANY - In a major blow to the gay rights movement, the state Senate overwhelmingly killed a bill to legalize same-sex marriage on Wednesday.

After two-and-half hours of passionate debate, the Senate voted the measure down 38-24.

New York now joins a list of 31 other states, most recently Maine, to shoot down gay marriage.

None of the Senate's 30 Republicans voted for the measure.

Of the 32 Democrats, 24 voted for it, eight against.

Sen. Ruben Diaz (D-Bronx) noted that the five states that have approved gay marriage did so through legislation.

"When the people had the opportunity to vote [on a referendum], the people have rejected it, " Diaz said.

Advocates called the rejection disappointing but insisted it was just temporary set back. They vowed to continue fighting.

"The time is never right for civil rights - the economy, wars, the troubles we've had here in the Senate - but the paradox is it's always time to be on the right side of history," said Senate bill sponsor Tom Duane (D-Manhattan), the chambers's only openly gay member.

Others saw the vote as evidence of a shifting political landscape highlighted in the most recent elections.

Supporters and gay rights advocates, including Gov. Paterson, pushed for a vote even though it's fate was uncertain - a rare move in Albany, where legislation usually makes it to the floor only if its passage is guaranteed.

"This legislation would merely provide me and tens of thousands of New Yorkers equal rights in New York State," said Duane. "It would make me equal in every way to everyone in this chamber."

Sen. Eric Adams (D-Brooklyn) noted that many of the states used to permit slavery or outlawed interracial marriage.

"Because the numerical majority is in one place does not mean they are in the right place," Adams said. "We must lead."

"You don't have to be gay to respect the rights of those who are, he added.

Sen. Eric Schneiderman (D-Manhattan) argued that legalizing gay marriage does not hurt heterosexuals or religions.

"This is not about morality, because we can't legislate morality, ladies and gentlemen," he said. "But we can legislate justice."

Despite the fact that Democrats taking control of the Senate this year by a slim majority, Republican votes were always needed to pass the measure because not every Democrat backed the bill.

In the end, there were not enough GOP votes to make up for the eight votes that the Democrats lacked because of opposition among some of their members.

The Assembly has passed the measure three times, including shortly after midnight on Wednesday.

The state's highest court recently upheld the granting of benefits in New York by the state and Westchester County to same sex couples married legally in other states.
-----------------------------------------------------

This really really pissed me off. Damn religious nuts!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage   New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 9:40 am

The two states that I thought would be first in line to legalize it were California and New York... I've been proven wrong both times. sad or frown Why do they feel like they need to single out certain groups? It's a bible passage that gives most of these people their reasoning for not liking homosexuality. Wouldn't it be a breech of separation of church and state then? It's a matter of religion not legality.

I guess I know why they want to have someone to continually harass (like they did with inter-racial marriage, right for women and blacks to vote, slavery, and who could go to school). Look at what most people live in. They all have some type of hardship and some are at the bottom of the social ladder. For one cause they still have the means of being superior to someone else and their little power-trips feel divine.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage 25883sk
More Numbers : 7416463
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage   New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 11:01 am

^^ I agree with you, Nsane, particularly about this going against separation of church and state (if marriage were purely a religious event, there would be no legal rights for spouses regarding the events in their S.O.s' lives) and especially regarding the power-trip thing. Sounds so simple, but yeah, a lot of people just find it more satisfying to have a "lesser" person to pick on. More so than respecting others as you would have them respect you.

The decision is a real disappointment. On the bright side, if there is one, there's always Connecticut. Just go through White Plains and into Danbury -- a lot of New Yorkers do anyway!
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage Bjevig
More Numbers : 7587528
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage   New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 3:33 pm

This really comes as no surprise to me. People vote against gay marriage because they are trying to "defend marriage." Yeah, I'll believe you when you outlaw divorce, which happens to be the number one factor going agianst marriage at this point. Speaking of which.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/

PostSubject: Re: New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage   New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 7:02 pm

Ginger_Snaps wrote:
This really comes as no surprise to me. People vote against gay marriage because they are trying to "defend marriage." Yeah, I'll believe you when you outlaw divorce, which happens to be the number one factor going agianst marriage at this point. Speaking of which.

The comments alone on that story make me sick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage   New York State Senate Votes Against Gay Marriage I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1