TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone Evil10
More Numbers : 7683317
Registration date : 2008-07-21

California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone Empty
PostSubject: California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone   California resolution could make state a 'cuss-free' zone I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 7:20 pm

SACRAMENTO, CA -- The state Assembly has passed a resolution that would establish the first week of March as "Cuss Free Week" throughout the state.

The measure was approved on a voice vote Thursday and will be considered by the state Senate next week.

It was inspired by McKay Hatch, 16, a South Pasadena teenager who started a No Cussing Club and Web site at his middle school in 2007.

His movement has led to similar clubs in every state and 20 countries.

Hatch traveled to Sacramento with his family to support the resolution. He sees a link between foul-mouthed incivility and other forms of problem behavior, such as drug use and bullying.

"Your words become your actions, your actions become your behavior, your behavior becomes your character and your character becomes destiny: you are what you speak," said Hatch during Thursday morning's announcement.

Hatch said he hopes legislatures in other states adopt similar resolutions, citing a letter a middle school teacher in Louisiana wrote him.

"They found that after implementing a no-cussing club chapter, they had a 64 percent decrease in profanity and a 90 percent decrease in bullying," he said. "This just proves to me what I already knew inside, and what I think we all know inside, our words are connected to our actions and have an effect on other people."

Hatch also said his crusade to end cussing hasn't been easy. He launched the campaign at his middle school and soon found cruel classmates, even death threats to his family.

On one day in January of 2009, Hatch received 60,000 e-mails.

"It was a bunch of death threats of people trying to stop what I was doing. We actually had a couple of bomb threats on our house," Hatch said. "But I realize they're bullies and I'm not going to let the bullies win, so I've had a lot of backlash, but I've also had a lot of support."

One lawmaker, however, did question the timing of the resolution. Assem. Chris Morby, R-Fullerton, wanted to know how lawmakers could be considering it when California is in the midst of a budget crisis.

"We recognize that we have a lot of tough issues facing California, but having the opportunity to recognize someone from our state who has made an impact is certainly something we should do here in the legislature," Assem. Cameron Smythe, R-Santa Clarita, said.

Smythe sponsored the resolution, along with Assem. Anthony Pontantino, D-La Canada Flintridge.

"Cuss-free week," if approved by the Senate, will begin next week. Californians are encouraged to make "cuss-jars" using labels found on McKay's Web site. If you use profanity, you should deposit cash or coins into the jar.

McKay said at the end of the week money collected should be donated to charities.

I wonder how well this is going to work.
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1