TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world Evil10
More Numbers : 7683317
Registration date : 2008-07-21

ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world Empty
PostSubject: ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world   ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 2:27 pm

How far would you go to help save an endangered animal? How about allowing someone to jab ink into your skin with tiny needles, 150 times a second?

That's exactly what hundreds of volunteers signed up for last weekend at ExtInked, where people came from far and wide to have one of Britain's most endangered species permanently tattooed on their body, making them a life long ambassador for that species.

ExtInked is the brainchild of the Ultimate Holding Company, a Manchester-based arts collective. Each volunteer filled out an application explaining why they deserved to be the canvas for their chosen flora or fauna. Of the hundreds that turned up, 100 were chosen and, over the course of the weekend, 100 original tattoos were carefully inked onto shoulders, calves, backs and hip bones by artists from the local studio Ink vs Steel.

I watched a biology teacher covered in tattoos find enough space on her leg to fit a bee hawk moth, a nervous tattoo virgin get a striped dolphin on his shoulder and a woman who had come up from Cambridge get an oyster - also her first tattoo - on her hip.

Joe Richardson, founding member of the collective, is confident that the social experiment will rouse people to action. He was surprised to see how personal the tattoos were to the volunteers, who touchingly described their relationship to their chosen species in their applications.

One woman, who worked as a conservationist and wanted a tattoo of the crested newt, burst into tears when she got to the desk only to find they had run out of applications, he says.
The demand for certain species was so high that many volunteers didn't get their first choice - but most were still keen to take part. "The idea of the permanent loss of an organism that has taken millennia to evolve is so important to many people that they still thought it was worth doing," Richardson says.

As one woman pointed out, a tattoo is a great talking point - people always ask what they are and whether there's a story behind them.

"The stars on my arm mean nothing but this one really does," she says, showing me the illustration of the tall thrift plant on her arm, now wrapped in clingfilm. "I'm going to do some research so I can tell people about the plight of my plant when they ask."

ExtInked's Facebook page.
Back to top Go down
MoonRaven
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 9359
: : Geisha
: : ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world Th_inl10
More Numbers : 7675931
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world   ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 10:40 pm

That's a nice idea. I would get one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/moonraven83
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7640883
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world   ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 12:11 pm

^ Wonder if this will catch on in and around other places.

Oyster ... that's got to be a conversation starter.
I'd especially like to see that one.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world 25883sk
More Numbers : 7409898
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world   ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 7:19 pm

It's a great concept. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world   ExtInked: Tattoos to save the world I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1