TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Can a living human being exist without a soul..?

Go down 
+4
RedAngel
Vampira132
ravengrim
velvet spider
8 posters
AuthorMessage
velvet spider

Number of posts : 246
: : Can a living human being exist without a soul..? 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7398893
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Can a living human being exist without a soul..? Empty
PostSubject: Can a living human being exist without a soul..?   Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 1:37 pm

I've been employed in an HIV/AIDS hospice over 10 years and never crossed paths with this philosophy. Simply curious as to what your "random thoughts" are...

We've a resident very close to death yet able to converse clearly, at least for the moment. Since arriving to our facility he's gone by his Eastern religious name, not the name given him by his parents.

He recently informed his parents and our staff that he's now to be called by the name his parents gave him because the spirit/soul of (his religious name) has now left his physical body.

He's told us the body still remaining here is the painful, suffering shell of (the name his parents had given him.)

Could his spirit/soul possibly be lingering in our facility waiting for his physical body to pass over...? Do you feel a human being can be alive and not have a soul...?

Being Catholic I cannot quite wrap my brain around this, yet understand there are many people with personal religious beliefs other than my own.

Care to share your thoughts...?
seeker

Last edited by velvet spider on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Can a living human being exist without a soul..? Evil10
More Numbers : 7687256
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Can a living human being exist without a soul..?   Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 3:05 pm

Well many Buddhists don't believe in an actual afterlife,they believe that an Atman incarnates again and again until past mistakes are rectified and then and only then can an Atman achieve Nirvana.

On Atman

Buddhist View on Death and Rebirth
From the last link I put up for you to read

"The Buddha urged us to prepare for death, to prepare for that journey by cleansing the mind and not being so attached to things, to be able to let go and release ourselves for needing to be, from needing to have. Through this we will not suffer so much as we pass through the final stage of the present life, we can let go, be grateful for what we had but not clutch to it, not try to ensure permanency and cause ourselves to suffer more than we need to. This way we can end the cycle and leave forever, obtaining nirvana and release from the cycle of death and rebirth."

I believe that person is attempting some form of being able to obtain Nirvana by letting go,his choice of words expresses that belief to me anyway.
I do believe in a soul,it is one of the reasons why I have such a hard time with basic Buddhist teachings.
Back to top Go down
Vampira132
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger
Number of posts : 4606
: : The Victorian Woman in Black
: : Can a living human being exist without a soul..? Kalbg0
More Numbers : 7674153

PostSubject: Re: Can a living human being exist without a soul..?   Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 3:47 pm

The Islamic point of view on a soul is that it is split into three parts the Qalb (Heart), Ruh (blood) and the Nafs (passion of the soul) although Ruh is the actual soul as it is pumped from the Heart.

There is a Hadith (Creed spoken by the Prophet Muhammad PBUH) which says....

"Abdullah bin Mas’ud, may Allah be pleased with him, reported: Allah’s Messenger (saw) said: Verily your creation is on this wise. The constituents of one of you are collected for forty days in his mother’s womb in the form of blood, after which it becomes a clot of blood in another period of forty days. Then it becomes a lump of flesh and forty days later Allah sends His angel to it with instructions concerning four things, so the angel writes down his livelihood, his death, his deeds, his fortune and misfortune. By Him, besides Whom there is no god, that one amongst you acts like the people deserving Paradise until between him and Paradise mere remains but the distance of a cubit, when suddenly the writing of destiny overcomes him and he begins to act like the dwellers of Hell and thus enters Hell, and another one acts in the way of the dwellers of Hell, until there remains between him and Hell a distance of a cubit that the writing of destiny overcomes him and then he begins to act like the people of Paradise and enters Paradise.” (Bukhari & Muslim)

At death, a person’s spirit or soul doesn’t perish, it is extracted from the body and enters an intermediate state known as Barzakh*, a parallel universe for which humans in the mortal world have no visualization of. This stage results in a cold sleep state where the soul will rest until the Qiyāmah, Judgment Day. The person is either rewarded in the next realm of existence by going to heaven if they have followed Allah's commands or punished if they have disobeyed Him.

Qu'ran 66.8 Surat At-Tahrim
"Believers, turn to God in sincere repentance; it may be that your Lord will acquit you of your evil deeds, and will admit you into gardens underneath which rivers flow. Upon the day when God will not degrade the Prophet and those who believe with him, their light running before them, and on their right hands; and they say, 'Our 'Lord, perfect for us our light, and forgive us; surely Thou art powerful over everything."

The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: "sleep is the brother of death "and also: "the grave is the first stage of the journey into eternity." During our sleep angels take the soul but the connection with the body remains.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barzakh
PBUH = Peace Be Upon Him
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Can a living human being exist without a soul..? 25883sk
More Numbers : 7413837
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Can a living human being exist without a soul..?   Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 4:01 pm

My thoughts: The resident may be preparing himself for his end.

As I see it, being close to death gives a person a sense of mental clarity that is unattainable at any other time in life. I would not believe this had I not visited my grandfather two weeks before he passed away. It was very important to him that I reconnect with my aunt (his sister), and so he arranged that we visit him at the hospice on the same day. When I saw him, he cried periodically during conversation, as though realizing the importance of our visit and of even the little aspects of life. The one thing I clearly remember him saying: "Please don't hate your father." And he cried a little. To me, it seemed like he was trying to set things in order, say a few last things to me, and give some of his newfound, crystal-clear perspective.
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : Can a living human being exist without a soul..? Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7681885

PostSubject: Re: Can a living human being exist without a soul..?   Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 4:08 pm

I'll keep this very short because I dont really want to get into the perticulars of how I came to this conclusion but, "Can a living human being exist without a soul..?" Yes, there are plenty of souless people out there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Can a living human being exist without a soul..? Bjevig
More Numbers : 7584902
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Can a living human being exist without a soul..?   Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 9:37 pm

I'm an atheist so I don't believe there is scientific evidence for a soul, thus, we are all existing without souls.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : Can a living human being exist without a soul..? Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7585866
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Can a living human being exist without a soul..?   Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 11:22 pm

I'm a secular humanist. I used to be Jewish (I converted to Judaism when I married my husband), but for me it is hard to believe in a high being. I tried, I just can't. Like Ginger Snaps stated, there is simply no evidence of a soul.

Velvet Spider, the gentleman at the hospice is obviously going through psychological distress (for lack of a better word) related to his pending death. It may be that he has some deep rooted issues related to his upbringing and his identity (the two names thing), and now that he's passing, this (the talk of his eastern name/soul) is his way of trying to resolve those issues. My two cents (not a psychologist yet, lol).
Back to top Go down
Morwenna
star member
Morwenna

Capricorn Cat
Number of posts : 3717
: : Can a living human being exist without a soul..? 25a7xqo
More Numbers : 7580235
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Can a living human being exist without a soul..?   Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:17 am

I'm spiritual/agnostic so I think there is something more to existence that we don't see, but I don't believe in a sort of god the way most religions do. There is something very special about the nature of consciousness.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can a living human being exist without a soul..?   Can a living human being exist without a soul..? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can a living human being exist without a soul..?
Page 1 of 1