TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist

Go down 
+2
SPF
ravengrim
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist Evil10
More Numbers : 7696447
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist Empty
PostSubject: Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist   Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 11:18 am

Two physicists have published an academic paper where they demonstrate, by virtue of geometric progression, that vampires could not exist, since they would almost immediately deplete their entire food supply (a.k.a, all of us).
If you've ever read Salem's Lot (or seen the lame Starsky and Hutch-era miniseries adaptation starring David Soul), then you know that after a vampire decides to settle in your town, the undead begin to multiply at an alarming rate (he bites two friends, who bite two friends, and so on, and so on…).

Putting aside for a moment the issue of how that would impact neighborhood property values, this phenomenon raises an even more pressing question: If vampires are indeed living (unliving?) among us, then shouldn't we have seen an undead population explosion by now?

Fortunately, our best minds are on the case. Physicists Costas Efthimiou and Sohang Gandhi's paper "Cinema Fiction vs. Physics Reality" offers a full explanation.

Efthimiou and Gandhi conduct a thought experiment: Assume that the first vampire appeared on January 1, 1600. At that time, according to data available at the U.S. Census website, the global population was 536,870,911. Efthimiou and Gandhi calculate that, once the Nosferatu feeding frenzy began, the entire human race would have been wiped out by June 1602 (thus forever changing the course of history by preventing the invention of the slide rule eighteen years later).

The physicists note:

Another philosophical principal related to our argument is the truism given the elaborate title, the anthropic principle. This states that if something is necessary for human existence, then it must be true since we do exist. In the present case, the nonexistence of vampires is necessary for human existence. Apparently, whomever devised the vampire legend had failed his college algebra and philosophy courses.

Oooh, snap! But, this gauntlet had been barely thrown down before it invited a rebuttal from mathematician Dino Sejdinovic. In his article, "Mathematics of the Human Vampire Conflict" (Math Horizons, November 2008) Sejdinovic faults Efthimiou and Gandhi's logic, since they have not "accounted for the birth-rate of non-vampires and death-rate of vampires (actually the death-death-rate since they are already dead, but when they die again they should stay dead but stop being living) due to close encounters with stakes, garlic and holy water." Moreover, "vampires are presented exclusively as greedy consumers: a rational strategy of managing their human resources is not considered."

Here, Sejdinovic cites the pioneering research conducted by Austrian mathematicians Richard Hartl and Alexander Mehlmann, who published the landmark 1982 paper, "The Transylvanian Problem of Renewable Resources," later followed up by "Cycles of Fear: Periodic Bloodsucking Rates for Vampires" (Journal of Optimization Theory and Application, December 1992). Hartl and Mehlmann argue that vampires would never be stupid enough to deplete their entire food supply, and by applying the Hopf-Bifurcation Theorem (don't ask), they demonstrate how vampires can adopt an optimal "cyclical bloodsucking strategy."

However, there is a serious flaw in the Hartl and Mehlmann model: The assumption that human beings would be docile prey. Their research provoked an outraged response from economist Dennis Snower, who in his article "Macroeconomic Policy and the Optimal Destruction of Vampires" (The Journal of Political Economy, June 1982), declared:

One wonders what conceivable interest the authors could have had in helping vampires solve their intertemporal consumption problem. The implicit assumption of the Invisible Hand (or Fang)-whereby vampires, in pursuing their own interests, pursue those of human beings as well-is of questionable validity. The study by Hartl and Mehlmann is not concerned with the macroeconomic implications of blood-sucking behavior modes. Nor does it consider the policy instruments whereby human beings can protect themselves from vampires. Instead, humans are modeled as passive receptacles of blood whose cultivation and harvest are left to vampire discretion.

Hooyah! Snower argues that the mortal world can manage its resources in a manner that keeps the undead population in check, while simultaneously promoting long-term economic growth:

A transfer of labor services from the widget sector to the stake sector reduces human welfare at present but may raise welfare in the future (since an increase in stake production reduces the vampire population and thereby increases the future labor force whereby future widgets may be produced).

Still, I'm not entirely confident in Snower's conclusions-not least because his complex mathematical proof indicates that the complete destruction of vampires would not be "socially optimal." (And you wonder why economics is known as the dismal science?)

In fact, all of these models rest upon the assumption that vampires are at the top of the undead food chain. Who says that the blood-sucking population is not kept in check by something that preys on vampires? Time to consult the zoology journals.
Back to top Go down
SPF
vip member
SPF

Scorpio Number of posts : 1679
: : Fashionista
: : Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7579292
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist   Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 11:40 am

wow, thats really funny that they did that

I am sure vampires do not exist, but they based their model on Salem's Lot. What about other legends that have different "rules" and "behaviors" for the other vampires. you know, stuff like how often do they feed, rules for making vampires, etc.
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7687756
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist   Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 5:28 pm

Interesting article but vampires do exist

Obviously I dont THINK I'm one Wink bat
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist Bjevig
More Numbers : 7594093
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist   Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 5:15 pm

They could always go to animal blood.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster
Number of posts : 1421
: : Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist 6tpz4k
More Numbers : 7583927
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist   Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 5:30 pm

My first counter-point is that there are many different types of vampires, and the style which they are using as a framework for their studies, is that of a plague-like spreading of vampirism. Where the tales of vampires have been around for 10,000 years, and every culture does not agree with "type" of vampire they've studied.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fetishfactory.com
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist Bjevig
More Numbers : 7594093
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist   Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 6:08 pm

I liken it to any human activity.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
Alenuska

Capricorn Pig
Number of posts : 270
More Numbers : 7586695
Registration date : 2008-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist   Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 8:42 pm

helen damnation wrote:
Interesting article but vampires do exist

Obviously I dont THINK I'm one Wink bat

you sure your not one wenz baby i got something you could suck the blood out of tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist   Physicists Prove That Vampires Could Not Exist I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1