TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Rather confused about religion

Go down 
+4
endless dark
Ginger_Snaps
RedAngel
Symmentha
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Symmentha
Symmentha

Aquarius Snake
Number of posts : 141
More Numbers : 7574761
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Rather confused about religion Empty
PostSubject: Rather confused about religion   Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 10:45 pm

Hey guys, I know I havent been around much lately, and I will be trying to fix this. Ive been in a bad place for the last.. well couple of years really. Anyway Ive been a christian my entire life, and about 3 years ago I made the move to fundamentalist. Yep, no sex before marriage, no drinking, drugs, and the church I started attending went as far as no dating, no tattoos, no piercings, etc etc etc. I have very strong opinions, so I kept up with my own convictions, continued with my love of tattooes, however as I got further and further involved I decided that I was also against dating, sex before marriage and all of that.

Im getting confused myself, so I wouldnt even know if anyone would be able to follow this.

Anyway in the past couple of months Ive sunk into a terrible funk, not even going to church. Trying to pull myself out of it has been difficult as I have very limited friends in the area, and those I do have are christians. However despite me not attending church, not contacting any of them, feeling very depressed and staying home all of the time, not venturing into the outside world noone has bothered contacting me. I went back to church, a couple of weeks ago, and realised in just one service I dont much like any of the christians there. In fact I dont like christians. I dont want to be associated with the biggest bunch of hypocrites I know, and even over the past few years the biggest thing Ive tried not to be (which is impossible, because I feel everyone is a hypocrite to some degree) is a hypocrite.

So while Im struggling with the whole christianity gig, my friend invites me to her 21st. I go despite not wanting to. And I had a ball. I truly enjoyed it, despite not drinking with anyone. But the topics of conversation all night were things like drinking, school days (and I was nothing at school if not a rebel) and all things that my pastor would cringe at.

Is it wrong to want to enjoy my life a bit? Now that Ive started typing this out Im not sure where its going but its very comforting to just spit this all out, as Ive been bottling it up. My main concern is having to form my own opinions of things again, which sounds silly as Im very strong willed and i never believe something on face value. Everything I believe I believe because Ive found it to be true.... which is part of why Im now struggling with the realisation that maybe its not. And if its not, then my views on things like evolution, global warming, and 2012.. well they are all shot to nothing as well.

I dont know what I want people to say.. I think I just need a hug, and a 'Its ok to feel conflicted, noone knows any better than you'
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Rather confused about religion 25883sk
More Numbers : 7412524
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Rather confused about religion   Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 11:15 pm

It *is* OK. hug

A crisis of faith is always painful, but it's healthy to question your beliefs. You are the one who decides what you believe, and at this time in your life, it's natural to question b/c you're sussing out your views as an individual. That is just as it should be. Smile

There'll be changes in friends, changes in opinions. Anyone who doesn't stick by you, though, is just making room in your life for a good, true new friend. I know you're worried; trust, though, that it's just a spiritual and intellectual evolution.

You don't have to give up anything you don't want to give up, and ultimately you must be true to what makes most sense to you. ("Above all, this: To thine own self be true.") Approach with an open mind; the answers will come to you in time. Smile Lean on your Divine Being of Choice, as long as it still works for you -- s/he will understand. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/

PostSubject: Re: Rather confused about religion   Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 11:47 pm

First, hug

Second... Sym, that church sounds a bit brainwashing. Seriously. The Bible actually wants people to drink. Communion has wine, doesn't it? All the festivals in the Bible, they had alcohol, didn't they? The way it sounds, this church just wants you to go through life in a cult lifestyle.

This isn't probably the thing you want to hear, but here we go. Are you really avoiding everyone who isn't Christian? Just because you have your own faith doesn't mean that those of other faiths must be avoided. Hell, look at the friends you have on this board. Quite a number of us are not Christian. Look for others based on their and your interests and hobbies. Don't let religion get in the way of making some friends.

Also, questioning your own beliefs is healthy. It will either move you into a position of greater support in those things that you believe in, or move you towards new things that feel right to you.

Over the past few years, I kinda' started to formulate my own philosophy and it might help you here.

1. Metamorphosis: No one is the same from one day to the next. If there's something you don't like about yourself or things around you, change it. Grow into the person you want to be if for no other reason than to make yourself happy.

2. Perfectly Flawed: Every single one of us has flaws, but we're still jems of humanity. Learn to accept and maybe even love those flaws because they are what make you you.

...And if I completely missed the whole point, sorry blush
Back to top Go down
Symmentha
Symmentha

Aquarius Snake
Number of posts : 141
More Numbers : 7574761
Registration date : 2008-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Rather confused about religion   Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 12:22 am

Oops, sorry, its not that Im deliberately avoiding christians. Its just that Im starting to find I dont like any of my christian friends. My pastor is the worst, he will sit there and say we neednt condemn people to fire and brimstone, BUT YOU WILL GO TO HELL IF YOU GET TATTOOS DRINK OR DO ANYTHING BAD.

And trust me, I will never be brainwashed. I am far too strong minded for that. I dont drink for my own reasons. I actually have no problem with it, morally etc. I just dont really like it. That said, I have a bottle of pink moscato sitting in the fridge chiling. I just dont get drunk I should say.

Thanks guys, people talking to me just helps me think it out.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Rather confused about religion Bjevig
More Numbers : 7583589
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Rather confused about religion   Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 2:25 am

I've met many people who have found themselves better off not going to a church. You're more likely to find the more spiritual aspects of a religion once you are out of group that wishes to control your thought.

And Hell No! it's not wrong to want to enjoy your life.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : Rather confused about religion Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7680572
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Rather confused about religion   Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 11:20 am

Lets see if I can actually say this without offending anyone, well anyone that matters that is...

First off NO, it is not wrong to enjoy life and anyone that tries to stop you from that for whatever "religious" reason obviously hasent read their own book. Theres wine all over the place and gatherings and all sorts of debauchery thats ok up to a point, even jesus was hanging out with the sinners and general dregs of society preaching love and peace like some kind of hippie. So yeah, I'm pretty sure the the J man would want you enjoying life.

secondly it sounds like this church and the choise to go fundamentalist wasn't exactly the best choise for you, it seems like they're doing more harm then good which is the opposite of what any religions supposed to be doing for its followers. I'd go look for something that fite your thoughts and beliefs a bit better and you can be happy with... Another thing, it really does sound culty, if not for what I'd just said if it were me I'd head out of there before they got on to trying to control my eating and sleeping Embarassed

and lastly, questioning your beliefs isn't so bad, personaly I believe people should do that sevral times in their life and keep up on the things they really believe and change those they dont.

on a side note, "fundamentalist" have always seemed like an odd bunch to me. Here in the US in the deeeep south we have people that read a passage in the bible about people picking up venomous snakes and drinking poison and not being harmed and thats what they based their whole religion around. Thing is though there are people that have been bitten by these venomous snakes hundreds of times but they live and just say "the lord was with me" but doesn't the fact they were bitten even once go against the fundamentals of what they based it on? Anyway, I'm just saying that it seems to me "fundamentalist" pick and choose what to believe instead of the overall message and then they even change that bit to suit what they want...
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster
Number of posts : 1421
: : Rather confused about religion 6tpz4k
More Numbers : 7573423
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Rather confused about religion   Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 1:24 pm

Religion is a paradox in a our world which is driven first and foremost by scientific change, for the general human-morality which religion promotes is fine, don't kill another human or take something from another that doesn't belong to you. These are basic principles that predate all religion, don't threaten my life or touch my stuff, and religion has continued to support these social standards. However, religion has become passe to a great extent, and the teachings of these dated beliefs were not meant to convey life-practices to humans who have since walked on the moon, split the atom, invented elements, mapped the solar system, and used science to discover most of the truths to our planet's past. These religious books, fables, tales, characters in the stories; they've all evolved over the last 3000 years and become a true potpourri of religions of the ancient past, but they haven't evolved enough. As a modern person, it must be difficult to juggle what we are taught and know of the world, compared to what the premier religions teach.

Avoiding people of other religions, assuming an after-life of torture for transgressions, these are practices of people who lived in relatively small environments which were limited in their contact with people who are different. I can see that you'd want to actually avoid the people you share a religious bond with, being that they may want you to avoid people you share a social or personal bond with. I have no religion, and feel I can speak to and associate with whomever I please, and feel that it is unfortunate that certain people use their religion as a wall.

Also, I don't feel that anyone who lived and died a few 1000 years ago, has any business telling me what I can and can't eat, what I can and can't do as a consenting adult, what I can say, what I should do with my life. Religion teaching morals and comradery is fine, but inherent in religion is also a powerful feeling of entitlement and the idea that everyone is wrong and will either suffer or that you must pity them and force help upon them. These beliefs cause parents and people in positions of power, to instill in children at an early age racism, prejudice and a lacking of skills in social-conduct.

Be happy with yourself and your surroundings first, be a good person to the best of your ability second, and figure out where your religion fits into your life and your society third.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fetishfactory.com
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Rather confused about religion 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7643509
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Rather confused about religion   Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 6:59 pm

Sym hug

nsanelilmunky wrote:
First, hug

Second... Sym, that church sounds a bit brainwashing. Seriously. The Bible actually wants people to drink. Communion has wine, doesn't it? All the festivals in the Bible, they had alcohol, didn't they?

Most christian churches believe in abstaining from drinking. I haven't known any to use anything but grape juice for communion. Some do differ in opinion however as to what age and or commitment to God one should be of to participate.

And I don't think a great deal of them are of the opinion that those who are saved or seeking to be should socialize with those whose lifestyle would not be considered pleasing to God. That would be an act of acceptance unless they were witnessing to them. And I've heard it told only a chosen few should attempt this lest they be influenced into temptation.
Back to top Go down
GhostRed
GhostRed

Scorpio Rat
Number of posts : 445
: : Rather confused about religion Th_cil10
More Numbers : 7578844
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Rather confused about religion   Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 8:34 pm

All I can say, Sym, is that I applaud you for questioning your religion. You should question everything you do, most especially something you base your whole life and identity around. So many people don't do that. Keep asking questions, keep probing. Don't stop until you're satisfied with the logical answers that you come to.

I'm not a great person to encourage you to continue with your Christian path because I've found nothing but hatred, greed, hypocrisy, contempt and lies within that religion. I was born and raised Southern Baptist (in the states) and it ruined my life and even ruined my marriage (not our relationship, just the marriage itself). However, I know that everyone does follow a different path. Whatever you do, just keep asking the hard questions. I guarantee you will find the answers within yourself, not some man-made set of beliefs.
Back to top Go down
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Rather confused about religion Evil10
More Numbers : 7685943
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Rather confused about religion   Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Symmentha,

It's good that you are here again.
You have been missed.

I know you are confused and probably rightfully so.

In some cultures people are encouraged to go out and experience life outside their own religions before making the choice to stay with their beliefs or move on to something else/.

The American Amsih have a term for it,it's called Rumpspringa.

Rumpspringa

In all honesty if more religions encouraged that sort of thing then more people would know in their hearts if their choices were right for them.

My advise is to go out and enjoy yourself,enjoying your life isn't something you will regret.
If you don't though you will always wonder what you might have missed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rather confused about religion   Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 10:58 pm

cynfullov wrote:
Most christian churches believe in abstaining from drinking. I haven't known any to use anything but grape juice for communion. Some do differ in opinion however as to what age and or commitment to God one should be of to participate.

And I don't think a great deal of them are of the opinion that those who are saved or seeking to be should socialize with those whose lifestyle would not be considered pleasing to God. That would be an act of acceptance unless they were witnessing to them. And I've heard it told only a chosen few should attempt this lest they be influenced into temptation.

All the ones around here use wine. The church I was confirmed in used nothing but wine, even for us that were under age. It's one of those things where the law will let you do it if it's part of the religion.

And they may not like to socialize with those who are not on the path to "salvation", but that was Jesus' whole thing wasn't it? He partied with the lepers and the Samaritans, right? It's one of the things where it allows them to get comfortable with them before trying to convert them. That's also how most missionaries work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rather confused about religion   Rather confused about religion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rather confused about religion
Page 1 of 1