TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend Evil10
More Numbers : 7687256
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend Empty
PostSubject: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 9:56 pm

WICCA | Leader teaching classes here tries to dispel myth that 'we're satanists and that we belong to the devil'

They don't toil over bubbling caldrons or cook lost kids. They have no use for flying monkeys. And their spice racks are more apt to contain ginger or paprika than eye of newt.

Still, witches are far from fictional. And according to the most recent American Religious Identification Survey, released earlier this month, there are more of them than ever.

While most other major religions lost ground, Wiccan -- whose members, Wiccans, sometimes refer to themselves as witches -- and other so-called "New Religious movements" grew by more than a million members since the last ARIS survey was published in 2001. They're now an estimated 1.2 percent of the adult population.

In Chicago -- home to an unknown number of Wiccan covens (congregations) and independent practitioners --there's even a Witch School. An outgrowth of the nationally popular and long-active Web site witchschool.com, the Downstate Rossville-based organization currently offers three monthly courses and returned to town earlier this month after a five-year absence.

"One of the things that we found is that people frequently did not have access to information and wanted to learn more about Wicca and metaphysics," said the school's chancellor and one of its owners, the Rev. Don Lewis. "And we went into online teaching in order to make it more accessible to people. But it was never our intention that [the site] should replace real-time teaching."

Local classrooms include the Occult Bookstore in Wicker Park and the Life Force Arts Center in Lake View. Lewis said there's talk of expanding to St. Louis and "a number of different regions."

On a recent Friday night, Witch School CEO Ed Hubbard visited the Occult Bookstore to talk on the topic of "Magick for the Masses."

Few people attended, save for a handful of employees and one drop-in, but the show went on.

"You can change your environment by the power of your will," he declared, as a tiny digital camera taped his lecture for the YouTube channel Magick TV. "The first step is thinking. You have to have that spark."

The air smelled of honey-amber incense. Shelves and tables displayed crystals, candles and hundreds of books, with such titles as Practical Angel Magic of Dr. John Dee's Enochian Tables and The History of Witchcraft and Demonology.

In a phone interview before the event, Hubbard said a common misconception people have of witches is "that we're satanists and that we belong to the devil. That's a big one. And it's very hard because that's the dualist world of Christianity, and we just don't accept it."
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7678565

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 5:20 pm

I loved that article, dont know how I missed it before!

There's a coven operating out of Llandudno and I have been invited to join them - I'm a little bit nervous because I've always practised on my own but I'm actually quite excited about it. The only problem is that they meet in a pub in Llandudno before going up onto the hills and I fear that I would need too much Dutch Courage Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 5:26 pm

I don't know about the older crowd around here, but most of the newer generations view wicca more as a fluff/tree hugger thing. The true practitioners are anything but, but as usual, the idiots talk the loudest. You should hear some of the stuff that's said about Heathenry. Supposedly we're all skinheads. It's nice to see people finally looking into it instead of believing a stereotype.
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 5:30 pm

nsanelilmunky wrote:
I don't know about the older crowd around here, but most of the newer generations view wicca more as a fluff/tree hugger thing. The true practitioners are anything but, but as usual, the idiots talk the loudest. You should hear some of the stuff that's said about Heathenry. Supposedly we're all skinheads. It's nice to see people finally looking into it instead of believing a stereotype.

The ladies that invited me own a "new age" gift shop in town which I tend to frequent. Nice women in their 50s and nobody would give them a second glance.

I've gone well past the stage of caring about what anyone thinks of me anyhow and I personally have a couple of lovely skinhead friends Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 5:35 pm

^^Skinhead as in the American definition?

American definition is someone who is White Supremacist. Neo-Nazi sometimes too.
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 5:41 pm

nsanelilmunky wrote:

American definition is someone who is White Supremacist. Neo-Nazi sometimes too.

Goddess NO!!! sick

We have anti fascist skinheads over here, the skinhead movement was started on that basis, f**ked up by the National Front in the UK and we still have originals
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend 25883sk
More Numbers : 7413837
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 6:37 pm

^^Anti-fascist skinheads = "Sharps," right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinheads_Against_Racial_Prejudice
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 6:44 pm

nsanelilmunky wrote:

Not every skinhead is like that.I went to high school with some of the early members of SHARP .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 6:46 pm

^^Stereotypes.. The bad ones are the ones that always come to mind first. And I was referring to the common joe walking down the street. I know not all skinheads are racist, that's just what comes to mind.
Back to top Go down
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 6:48 pm

RedAngel wrote:
^^Anti-fascist skinheads = "Sharps," right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinheads_Against_Racial_Prejudice

Yes,but there's other groups too.RASH is one that comes to mind.
RASH
Back to top Go down
Emmature
Emmature

Virgo Pig
Number of posts : 1038
: : Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7359323
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 2:26 am

nsanelilmunky wrote:

I figure the ratio of dimbulbs to smart people in the general population bears out in most communities of faith, whatever they are. That's why I avoid most covens- there's a lot of those "fluffy" types there. I figure my paganism is best served by privacy.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 10:02 am

Emmature wrote:
I figure my paganism is best served by privacy.

I believe most religions are. Not to say people should shut up about their faiths; if we did, no one would learn about any different beliefs. But I think faith needs to be a personal quest of sorts, a one-on-one relationship with what one believes in, rather than a mob-mentality or peer-pressure situation, which it often turns out to be when you join a group. meh
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7644822
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 2:10 pm

Solitary or coven, I think it's just up to what kind of person you are and what your seeking out of life. There can be both bad and good in regards to organized groups. Just as there are good people and bad. And.. it's not too unlike us all being here together if you think about it. Some people like to group up with others that are into the same things they are.

Wicca has changed since the days of Ben Franklin, but there's always been different types of witches. I think wicca having had a sort of rebirth and becoming more of a religion to celebrate nature & nurture has not only helped it to grow as an accepted and practiced faith, but also has added to the lives of many. It was doing rather well in sales of related items. Especially when it was the "in" thing.

The reason that there wasn't such a good turn out, except for the lone drop in, at the occult bookstore that night, I don't think had anything to do with christians or devils. That's what I think this article is somehow trying to connect. In my opinion it has to do with the economy and the fact that this was on a friday night. It should have been held on a Saturday afternoon maybe. When things aren't all that great money wise people tend to spend more time at home and when they do go out on a friday night wiccan or not, it's not usually to a book store.

You'd have to also look at the location of the shop and the topic was all wrong to drawn people in. Oh and when you go internet... it may not be the intention to replace having actual schools, but you know there's more work involved and money for people to get to a IRL place than there is to sit down at the comp.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 2:56 pm

cynfullov wrote:
Solitary or coven, I think it's just up to what kind of person you are and what your seeking out of life. There can be both bad and good in regards to organized groups. Just as there are good people and bad. And.. it's not too unlike us all being here together if you think about it. Some people like to group up with others that are into the same things they are.

Actually, you're right. Practicing a faith in a group setting is a lot like coming to a forum; in that sense it can be a positive thing. I guess what I was trying to say is that a group setting is not mandatory. Many people of mainstream faiths (Christian, Jewish, etc.) will get bent out of shape if you state that you don't attend a house of worship.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 3:10 pm

^^^ Pfft. The best places to "worship" are outside. The Houses of worship are more to keep the nature spirits away..

fairy On Guard twinkle toes!
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7644822
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 4:18 pm

^ Aw that comment of yours ... witch<[ Skyclad]

RedAngel wrote:
cynfullov wrote:

Actually, you're right. Practicing a faith in a group setting is a lot like coming to a forum; in that sense it can be a positive thing. I guess what I was trying to say is that a group setting is not mandatory. Many people of mainstream faiths (Christian, Jewish, etc.) will get bent out of shape if you state that you don't attend a house of worship.

hug I whole heartedly believe that it isn't necessary to worship within a group. And I so understand what your saying about certain people of certain faiths getting all bent out of shape with people if they don't attend a "house" of worship. I don't believe that the "church"( house of worship) was ever ment to be in referrence to a building myself.

I think it was to decribe a group of followers of a common faith. And they needn't be in any paticular location grouped together. Maybe they just didn't want to use the word club. One can belong to a "club" and still yet not visit the "club."
Back to top Go down
Emmature
Emmature

Virgo Pig

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 6:58 pm

^^But we still get to have secret handshakes, right? Wink
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 10:30 pm

^^Hehe -- now to think up a secret Goth handshake! nurse
Back to top Go down
Emmature
Emmature

Virgo Pig

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 7:33 pm

How 'bout this for a secret handshake?

wave clap wave guitar neener clap wave wave zombie attack

We shake, clap, shake, air guitar, mock one another, clap, shake, shake, kill all humans.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 10:11 pm

Laughing Wait, I think that's what the Freemasons do. Let's dance the Monkey at the end. nurse

(Edit: Apologies for overuse of nurse. I like her.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend   Occult hit: Witches bucking religion trend I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1