TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Strange World

Go down 
+25
TheDarkHippie
La Diva Carlotta
cynfullov
RedAngel
Emmature
helen damnation
velvet spider
lollirot
WrappedinReflection
Spooky
albinasamara
Morwenna
beautyindecay
Dark Gentleman
Succubus
Eyvind
Maxmordon
endless dark
Ginger_Snaps
shortpsycho
edgeeffect
MoonRaven
Vampira132
angelofthenight
ravengrim
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23
AuthorMessage
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Strange World - Page 23 Bjevig
More Numbers : 7583589
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Strange World - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange World   Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Strange World - Page 23 Evil10
More Numbers : 7685943
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Strange World   Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 11:27 pm

Back to top Go down
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Strange World - Page 23 Evil10
More Numbers : 7685943

PostSubject: Re: Strange World   Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 10:09 pm

Back to top Go down
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : Strange World - Page 23 Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7584553
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Strange World   Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 1:25 am

^^Ha! I love it!
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat

PostSubject: Re: Strange World   Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 10:14 am

ravengrim wrote:
A road trip to end typos

Grammar Nazis!
Back to top Go down
Emmature
Emmature

Virgo Pig
Number of posts : 1038
: : Strange World - Page 23 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7358010
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Strange World   Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 6:29 pm

I want to do that to signs sometimes.
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : Strange World - Page 23 Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7680572

PostSubject: Re: Strange World   Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 1:10 am

so aparently the worlds ending in a few months...

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1964673.shtml?cat=566
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat

PostSubject: Re: Strange World   Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 9:07 pm

endless dark wrote:

His website

and

Countdown to backpedaling
Back to top Go down
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster
Number of posts : 1421
: : Strange World - Page 23 6tpz4k
More Numbers : 7573423
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Strange World   Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 6:11 pm

Ginger_Snaps wrote:
endless dark wrote:

His website

and

Countdown to backpedaling

The first paragraph on that websites statement is priceless, I legit need to break it down sentence by sentence.

Here it is in its' entirety: "We are living at a time when mankind seems to sense that the end of all things is very near. Just about everyone has a theory as to how the world is threatened and when that end might come. The media and the Internet are full of doomsday speculations concerning the New Age "Mayan Calendar" and the year 2012. Some scientists predict that Global Warming could wipe out life on Planet Earth within a certain number of years. At the same time, politicians work to halt the proliferation of life-destroying nuclear weapons before it is "too late." High profile news reports of economic downturns, crime, wars, tsunamis, earthquakes, and disease outbreaks cause people to question whether God is bringing judgment on the world."

"We are living at a time when mankind seems to sense that the end of all things is very near." We are, we do, I don't feel that way, do you?

"Just about everyone has a theory as to how the world is threatened and when that end might come." Just about everyone who isn't a geologist or an astrophysicist is probably full of sh*t, sorry, but anybody currently alive without those little plaques on their office wall is just another person with an opinion.

"The media and the Internet are full of doomsday speculations concerning the New Age "Mayan Calendar" and the year 2012." You know that "new agey" Mayan culture that began in 2600 B.C.E. only two hundred years after the first historically documented mention of the Hebrews. Besides, most people have completely misinterpreted the Mayan calender; theirs was a culture completely focused on space and celestial event. Their calender stops and restarts on a beautiful moment that happens once every three millennium, the closest our little galaxy can come to planetary alignment. A complete alignment is impossible, because some planets like Pluto and Jupiter move at totally different elliptical orbits then our planet and Mars, but on December 21st will be the closest it could ever be to a "straight line".

"Some scientists predict that Global Warming could wipe out life on Planet Earth within a certain number of years." Those scientists who predict global warming, they all seem to have connections to politicians, lobbyists and banks who plan on creating a Carbon Emissions Tax within the next 18 months. The keeping of livestock are the biggest contributors to CO2 from our society, that and China and India just reaching their industrial revolution. But the emissions from cars, factories & livestock around the globe equal about 8% of what the continuous volcanic eruptions around the planet produces. Besides, the planet goes through 15-20 year warming cycles that are directly attributed to the 13-17 year solar cycle our Sun goes through in which it has a tumultuous few years of emitting solar flares more actively. Right now our Sun is going through a warming faze and emitting more flares in general, this will come to an apex in 2-3 years, then it will subside and we'll go through a cooler faze for over a decade. The scientists that know this are not allowed the venue to make movies or visit Washington DC though, because that won't make people richer through taxes.

"At the same time, politicians work to halt the proliferation of life-destroying nuclear weapons before it is "too late."" Because that is a terrible idea, not making weapons that can murder millions at the push of a few buttons. Especially not having them in the hands of countries, whose governments are dictated by close minded religious nuts who still wish to live in the dark-ages. Or sociopath-megalomaniacs who run countries with fear and want to close their homes off from the rest of the world.

"High profile news reports of economic downturns, crime, wars, tsunamis, earthquakes, and disease outbreaks cause people to question whether God is bringing judgment on the world." Or, maybe all of those things have always happened, none of them are anything new. From every historical book we've uncovered from ancient civilization, all of them talk frequently about floods, storms, volcanoes, etc. These common events have been spun into godly destruction events in religion, simply because there was no such thing as global communication or even a sense of a global community. So when the major rivers flooded, volcanic eruptions caused poisonous gases, ash-covered hail, or massive mammal or insect migrations, earthquakes caused tsunamis, meteors or asteroids struck, and all of these caused outbreaks of diseases in their aftermaths: the people at that time claimed the whole world was flooded, God brought plagues, the great JuJu or Poseidon swallowed the lands in water, Odin or Zeus sent storms, Allah sent death from the sky. These events have always happened, not at a greater pace, simply getting more coverage due to our technology. Plus more human are alive then ever, so when an event happens, there are more people living in those locations.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fetishfactory.com
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Strange World - Page 23 25883sk
More Numbers : 7412524
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Strange World   Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 12:07 pm

^^ *Excellent* breakdown. There's this tendency for people to think of history as static, musty and remote, and of our current times as being some sort of important turning point. (A sort of narcissism, kind of like back when it was common belief that the Earth was the center of the universe.) A close study of daily life from other time periods will show that we deal with many of the same problems and stresses that people have dealt with for generations, centuries. Granted, things weren't as well-recorded then. That doesn't mean the experiences weren't in many ways parallel.

I'm not saying our lives make no difference or that we're just another blip in the continuum -- we *can* have an impact on each other's lives as individuals -- I'm just saying that people who cry "endtimes" haven't looked back very much.
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/

PostSubject: Re: Strange World   Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 3:21 pm

RedAngel wrote:
A sort of narcissism, kind of like back when it was common belief that the Earth was the center of the universe.

I tend to agree with most of what you said, except for this. Had everything revolved around the Earth rather than the Sun, everything would look exactly the same (try switching between copernican and tychonian on that link). They were really just working with what they had. To them, the things they saw in the sky couldn't be bigger than the Earth because they could barely contemplate how big the world was. They were also a lot more scientifically minded than most people give them credit for. Since they had more knowledge/observations that supported Earth-centric models, there was a lot for Aristarchus to go against. It was just the ignorant times that came after that lifted the Earth-centric view to a religious view almost.

I guess, I'm just trying to say that it wasn't founded on narcissism so much on just observation.
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Strange World - Page 23 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7677252

PostSubject: Re: Strange World   Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 6:56 pm

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/844662-helpful-ghosts-and-friendly-fairies-in-paranormal-hotspots-across-the-uk

Sounds wonderful but how much of it is actually hype? We have a reputed monk around here, never seen him but apparently he isnt too pleasant or holy!
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat

PostSubject: Re: Strange World   Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 12:48 am

helen damnation wrote:
http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/844662-helpful-ghosts-and-friendly-fairies-in-paranormal-hotspots-across-the-uk

Sounds wonderful but how much of it is actually hype? We have a reputed monk around here, never seen him but apparently he isnt too pleasant or holy!

Looks like they forgot to factor in the average level of education.
Back to top Go down
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster
Number of posts : 1421
: : Strange World - Page 23 6tpz4k
More Numbers : 7573423
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Strange World   Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 11:40 am

nsanelilmunky wrote:
RedAngel wrote:
A sort of narcissism, kind of like back when it was common belief that the Earth was the center of the universe.

I tend to agree with most of what you said, except for this. Had everything revolved around the Earth rather than the Sun, everything would look exactly the same (try switching between copernican and tychonian on that link). They were really just working with what they had. To them, the things they saw in the sky couldn't be bigger than the Earth because they could barely contemplate how big the world was. They were also a lot more scientifically minded than most people give them credit for. Since they had more knowledge/observations that supported Earth-centric models, there was a lot for Aristarchus to go against. It was just the ignorant times that came after that lifted the Earth-centric view to a religious view almost.

I guess, I'm just trying to say that it wasn't founded on narcissism so much on just observation.

I feel the Earth-centered-Universe was a subconscious narcissism that was displayed through the hypocrisy of religion. "God made Earth, God made Man in His image"; so all things revolve around the Hebrew man who looks like God, even the planets in the heavens circle this quiet epicenter of all things. Christianity sprang from Judaism, it preaches humility and humbleness, but that belief that everything in the heavens revolves around ourselves is narcissistic, I mean they killed astronomers for saying otherwise. Like spoiled children who have been the center of attention, they lashed out at anyone who didn't agree that we humans are special and everything revolves around us. Damn, even that statement "revolves around you" is a direct insult against someone's character when considering their narcissism.

The funny thing with Christianity is that Christ & Yahweh are just representations of the Sun-Gods of Egypt & Sumeria, the Titans of Rome and Greece, the Zoroastrian prophet, or Hindu Krishna. 12 apostles or students, 12 zodiacs, 12 lower-gods, 12 demigod children, 12 warriors; all of these dirty dozens followed and revolved around their leader, the Sun (sun-god or son-of-god usually). But the Hebrews put themselves in the middle and had the Sun circle them, Christianity followed suit, that is a bit ostentatious if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fetishfactory.com

PostSubject: Re: Strange World   Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 12:26 pm

^^^Well, Christianity/Jewish, I can see the tantrums. It's just when I first read that comment, I automatically thought of the Greeks. Really though, I'm not so sure any more if it was earth-centric because of the god's image thing. From what I understand of it, it was that way because Aristotle said it and no one was to go against his philosophies. Christianity did support this mindset though too I guess.

I'll just go with: It's a little bit of both tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange World   Strange World - Page 23 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strange World
Page 23 of 23Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23