TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Church removes 'scary crucifix'

Go down 
+5
helen damnation
Synth
Ginger_Snaps
RedAngel
ravengrim
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Church removes 'scary crucifix' Evil10
More Numbers : 7696447
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Church removes 'scary crucifix' Empty
PostSubject: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 8:05 pm

Church removes 'scary crucifix' Untitled3

A large sculpture of Christ on the cross has been removed from outside a church in West Sussex after its vicar said it was "scaring young children".

The Reverend Ewen Souter said the 10ft crucifix was "a horrifying depiction of pain and suffering" which was also "putting people off".

The sculpture, located at the side of St John's Church in Broadbridge Heath, has now been given to Horsham Museum.

It will be replaced with a new stainless steel cross.

In a survey carried out by the church, every comment about the sculpture was negative.

'Sense of hope'

Mr Souter said: "Children have commented on how scary they find it and how off-putting they find it as a symbol outside the church.

"As a key exterior symbol for us it was putting people off rather than having a sense of hope and life and the power of the resurrection."

He said rather than undermining the work of the cross, the church wanted to portray "an accurate biblical picture of the crucifixion as a moment of hopefulness for the world, and not one of despair".

The sculpture was designed in the 1960s by former Royal Society of British Sculptors president, Edward Bainbridge Copnall, and made out of coal dust and resin.

It was removed from the church just before Christmas and will be mounted on a large wall in the grounds of Horsham Museum.

Jeremy Knight, curator, said the powerful image portrayed by the figure was that of Christ in pain.

"That today isn't an image which a lot of churches want to follow. They'd much rather see an empty cross where Christ has risen," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7816905.stm
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Church removes 'scary crucifix' 25883sk
More Numbers : 7423028
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 11:10 pm

[quote="ravengrim"]Church removes 'scary crucifix'
Church removes 'scary crucifix' Untitled3

It's more creepy than scary, really. And that's because the proportions are so distorted as to make the figure look freakish and somewhat deformed. The head is tiny, and the entire organ cavity appears to have been removed. And then there's the chain. No wonder it's putting people off!

I know crucifiction is not pretty, but that just looks bizarre.
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 12:25 am

Hmm... I don't think it looks too deformed if you consider what the human body looks like after decomposition has set into effect. Looks like the perfect replica of a centuries dead Christ, imo. naughty

Still... I can't blame people for wanting it removed. Why be reminded of such gruesome times anyways? Besides, in our day and age it's all about image... replace it with something huge, shiny, and with lots of faux gold & gemstones.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Church removes 'scary crucifix' Bjevig
More Numbers : 7594093
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 12:28 am

The crucifix is sadistic anyways, this just looks like a dead body strung upon a beam.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
Synth
Synth

Aquarius Horse
Number of posts : 578
: : Church removes 'scary crucifix' S3mrtd
More Numbers : 7589352
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 6:28 am

Well if the symbol of your religion is going to be a man dying horrifically in pain....
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Church removes 'scary crucifix' 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7687756

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 10:57 am

I thought the whole point of the symbol of the crucifix as opposed to a plain cross was to highlight pain and suffering

The little man on mine actually looks quite jolly Laughing
Back to top Go down
Vampira132
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger
Number of posts : 4606
: : The Victorian Woman in Black
: : Church removes 'scary crucifix' Kalbg0
More Numbers : 7683344

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 12:46 pm

RavenwindX wrote:

Still... I can't blame people for wanting it removed. Why be reminded of such gruesome times anyways?

To be remainded of the suffering Jesus did for our sins!

I think its perfect to shock people in loving there religion once more and to start believing how Jesus died for us all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 8:56 pm

helen damnation wrote:
shock
You crucified Santa?!?
Laughing
Back to top Go down
Morwenna
star member
Morwenna

Capricorn Cat
Number of posts : 3717
: : Church removes 'scary crucifix' 25a7xqo
More Numbers : 7589426

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 12:27 am

Church removes 'scary crucifix' BuddyJesus
Back to top Go down
MoonRaven
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 9359
: : Geisha
: : Church removes 'scary crucifix' Th_inl10
More Numbers : 7689061

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 12:29 am

hahaha @ Lex

Not THAT's how it should be Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/moonraven83
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Church removes 'scary crucifix' Bjevig
More Numbers : 7594093
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 4:43 am

I've seen a number of parody images of the crucifixion where Jesus is sporting a boner. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 4:25 pm

Morwenna wrote:
Church removes 'scary crucifix' BuddyJesus

Buddy Christ!

Dogma is one of my favorite movies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 4:57 pm

If it wasn't for that movie, I'm sure by now some church or another would have adopted something extremely similar to the Buddy Christ. Sadly, I think it'd actually attract more people to the "flock".
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 5:07 pm

RavenwindX wrote:
If it wasn't for that movie, I'm sure by now some church or another would have adopted something extremely similar to the Buddy Christ. Sadly, I think it'd actually attract more people to the "flock".

You mentioned "flock" and it made me think: I'm always surprised that more people don't see religion as a personal issue, i.e. one that you pursue (or don't pursue) as an individual and not as an evangelizing group.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 5:12 pm

Ginger_Snaps wrote:
I've seen a number of parody images of the crucifixion where Jesus is sporting a boner. Rolling Eyes

That **really** gives me the heebee geebees. But I seem to remember hearing in my art history classes about a time (medieval maybe?) when Jesus was depicted in such a state because it was considered one more symbol of power to be added to the image. shock
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 6:36 pm

RavenwindX wrote:
helen damnation wrote:
shock
You crucified Santa?!?
Laughing

Now you know that I am truly the Evil One naughty
Back to top Go down
MoonRaven
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 9359
: : Geisha
: : Church removes 'scary crucifix' Th_inl10
More Numbers : 7689061

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 8:48 pm

Oh no!!
Not Santa!!!!

haha Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/moonraven83
Morwenna
star member
Morwenna

Capricorn Cat
Number of posts : 3717
: : Church removes 'scary crucifix' 25a7xqo
More Numbers : 7589426

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 10:54 pm

RedAngel wrote:
Ginger_Snaps wrote:

That **really** gives me the heebee geebees. But I seem to remember hearing in my art history classes about a time (medieval maybe?) when Jesus was depicted in such a state because it was considered one more symbol of power to be added to the image. shock

Couldn't that also be a result of rigor mortis? Just saying..
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 6:39 pm

So that's where the term "stiff" comes from! naughty
Back to top Go down
Maxmordon
star member
Maxmordon

Aquarius Horse
Number of posts : 4066
: : Distopian Man
: : Church removes 'scary crucifix' S1rl90
More Numbers : 7582917
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 9:53 pm

Am I the only one that thinks that this crucifix looks like a Concentration Camp victim?
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 10:31 pm

Maxmordon wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks that this crucifix looks like a Concentration Camp victim?

No, I think you're right, Max.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Church removes 'scary crucifix'   Church removes 'scary crucifix' I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1