TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Americans becoming less religious, study shows

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Americans becoming less religious, study shows Evil10
More Numbers : 7696447
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Americans becoming less religious, study shows Empty
PostSubject: Americans becoming less religious, study shows   Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 9:44 pm

Americans are increasingly turning away from many denominations, with the percentage who do not claim a religious identity nearly doubling since 1990, to 15%, according to a national survey.
By Duke Helfand
March 10, 2009
Americans are becoming less religious, increasingly turning away from many denominations that once served as their spiritual homes, according to a major national survey released Monday.

The percentage of people who do not claim a religious identity has nearly doubled since 1990, growing to 15% of Americans last year, researchers with the American Religious Identification Survey found.

Mainline Christian denominations, once bulwarks of the religious landscape, have suffered most from the drift.

Methodists, Lutherans and Episcopalians are among the denominations that have seen their ranks decline.

Although 86% of Americans identified as Christians in 1990, just 76% said the same last year, the result of onetime adherents rejecting organized religion, the survey con- cluded.

The broad falloff has occurred as some groups, including Catholics, have seen their overall numbers rise.

But despite growing by 11 million new members since 1990, Catholics now account for a smaller percentage of the U.S. population than they did then -- 25% compared with 26%.

The survey's principal investigator, sociologist Barry A. Kosmin of Trinity College in Connecticut, described the overall trend as an erosion of the "religious middle ground."

He said many people appeared to be rebuffing denominations altogether or favoring more conservative evangelical groups that have boosted their relatively small memberships by offering emotional and personalized religious experiences.

Kosmin said the changing religious outlook also reflected an increasingly diverse and complex culture that emphasized greater tolerance for diversity while eschewing respect for authority.

He pointed to one sign of religious detachment -- the fact that 27% of Americans do not expect to have a religious funeral.

"Even the people in the pews are more rebellious than they used to be," said Kosmin, founding director of the Institute for the Study of Secularism in Society and Culture. "Those you would call 'the religious' don't look like what their grandparents did in terms of their worship style, their ritual behaviors."

The telephone survey, which included responses from more than 54,000 people in English and Spanish, corroborates findings from other studies of American religious practices.

One 2008 survey, from the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, found Americans abandoning ties to organized denominations or switching religious affiliations.

One of the Pew researchers said the comparable findings validated the significant trends shaping the nation's religious practices.

"American religion is already diverse, and it is likely to become more diverse," said John Green, a senior fellow with the Pew Forum and a political science professor at the University of Akron in Ohio. "That's interesting because we tend to think of religion as a pretty stable thing that changes on a generational scale. But there may be more change going on than we had anticipated."

I think there is a very big diffrence between religion and faith.Maybe you don't need a book of ancient texts to tell you how to be a good human being.Maybe it's o.k. to just be good for the sake of it without worrying about some sort of eternal damnation. meh Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Succubus
supernova
Succubus

Libra Tiger
Number of posts : 6201
: : Americans becoming less religious, study shows 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7540492
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Americans becoming less religious, study shows   Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 9:54 pm

I just have to say for myself I claim no religion. I grew up with a mother that believed that you needed to find your own path in your faith and encouraged me to find that path.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Americans becoming less religious, study shows 25883sk
More Numbers : 7423028
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Americans becoming less religious, study shows   Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 9:46 am

ravengrim wrote:

I think there is a very big diffrence between religion and faith.Maybe you don't need a book of ancient texts to tell you how to be a good human being.Maybe it's o.k. to just be good for the sake of it without worrying about some sort of eternal damnation. meh Just a thought.

good point You've pretty much nailed my thoughts on this, Ravengrim.
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Americans becoming less religious, study shows Bjevig
More Numbers : 7594093
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Americans becoming less religious, study shows   Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 12:50 am

People are become more and more liberal due to exposure of different types of people, science, and other religions. I imagine it is much more difficult to find ones own religion when you are surrounded by people of all different types of religion and faith.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Americans becoming less religious, study shows   Americans becoming less religious, study shows I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1