TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful Evil10
More Numbers : 7695134
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful Empty
PostSubject: Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful   Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 2:47 pm

The more often Americans go to church, the more likely they are to support the torture of suspected terrorists, according to a new survey.

The Washington Region Religious Campaign Against Torture rallied on Capitol Hill in March 2008.

More than half of people who attend services at least once a week -- 54 percent -- said the use of torture against suspected terrorists is "often" or "sometimes" justified. Only 42 percent of people who "seldom or never" go to services agreed, according to the analysis released Wednesday by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.

White evangelical Protestants were the religious group most likely to say torture is often or sometimes justified -- more than six in 10 supported it. People unaffiliated with any religious organization were least likely to back it. Only four in 10 of them did.

The analysis is based on a Pew Research Center survey of 742 American adults conducted April 14-21. It did not include analysis of groups other than white evangelicals, white non-Hispanic Catholics, white mainline Protestants and the religiously unaffiliated, because the sample size was too small. See results of the survey
The president of the National Association of Evangelicals, Leith Anderson, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The survey asked: "Do you think the use of torture against suspected terrorists in order to gain important information can often be justified, sometimes be justified, rarely be justified, or never be justified?"

Roughly half of all respondents -- 49 percent -- said it is often or sometimes justified. A quarter said it never is.

The religious group most likely to say torture is never justified was Protestant denominations -- such as Episcopalians, Lutherans and Presbyterians -- categorized as "mainline" Protestants, in contrast to evangelicals. Just over three in 10 of them said torture is never justified. A quarter of the religiously unaffiliated said the same, compared with two in 10 white non-Hispanic Catholics and one in eight evangelicals.

I'm probably the only one who found the results of this study shocking.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful   Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 2:56 pm

Quote :
The analysis is based on a Pew Research Center survey of 742 American adults conducted April 14-21. It did not include analysis of groups other than white evangelicals, white non-Hispanic Catholics, white mainline Protestants and the religiously unaffiliated, because the sample size was too small.

Because 742 people can cover the views of the entire country. Oh, and it only questioned whites. Nice.

It's not that shocking. I find it more shocking that they think questioning 742 people gives them reason to condemn the entire denomination. I personally don't find it shocking that they say it is often or sometimes needed in those denominations. But if those questioned are anything like the folks back home, they're not that well informed, very pro-American, and closest racists.
Back to top Go down
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
: : Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful Evil10

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful   Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 3:54 pm

That was not what I meant.I'll try to make myself a little clearer so I don't come off as an idiot.
Obviously I agree with you.
Seven hundred and fourty two people is obviously a really bad"cross section" of any population.Compound that with the fact that most of the people who were questioned had very little diffrence in their backgrounds and it becomes pretty obvious that you're going to get a very skewed result.
What seemed shocking to me was the lack of other participation in the study.
It also makes the poll takers look bad,like they were only willing to go so far in their search for results and call it good.
I can't help but wonder what of the results were so far off from what they expected,what if the results indicated that everyone no matter what their affilitation was either supported or opposed torture.
I wonder if we would have seen the results then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful   Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 4:22 pm

^^^lol. I know you a little better than to think you'd find that survey number acceptable.
It was just a little clouded what you found shocking.
Back to top Go down
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful   Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 4:30 pm

You're right I could probably go back and edit it,but the damage is already done. grin
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7652700
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful   Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 4:53 pm

I wonder if who they asked has anything to do with the talk going on about making government torture files open to the public? This was the topic on a political radio program last weekend.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful Bjevig
More Numbers : 7592780
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful   Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 12:39 am

I don't find this shocking at all. They support torture until they are the ones being tortured.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
Succubus
supernova
Succubus

Libra Tiger
Number of posts : 6201
: : Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7539179
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful   Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 9:46 pm

Quote :
It did not include analysis of groups other than white evangelicals, white non-Hispanic Catholics, white mainline Protestants and the religiously unaffiliated, because the sample size was too small. ยป

hmmm The only two closely related faiths were questioned. No mention of any other faiths. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Maxmordon
star member
Maxmordon

Aquarius Horse
Number of posts : 4066
: : Distopian Man
: : Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful S1rl90
More Numbers : 7581604
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful   Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 3:22 pm

It's worth noting that 54% of regular churchgoers felt that torture was justified "often" or "sometimes". this means damn near half of them do not believe this.

and 42% of those who "seldom" or "never" attend church feel the same way, meaning damn near half of them are just as bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful   Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1