TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war'

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' Evil10
More Numbers : 7696447
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' Empty
PostSubject: Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war'   Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 3:17 pm

Jack the Ripper was a forgery invented by journalists to link a series of unrelated murders and sell newspapers, according to a new book.
The unsolved murders of five prostitutes in London's East End in 1888 have spawned innumerable theories over the identity of the 'real' Jack the Ripper - with candidates including artist Walter Sickert, Alice In Wonderland author Lewis Carroll and even Queen Victoria's grandson the Duke of Clarence.
But now historian Dr Andrew Cook claims to have blown all these theories out of the water by dismissing the notion of a brutal, murderous spree by one 'serial killer' altogether.
In his book Jack The Ripper: Case Closed, he argues that the famous letter bragging about the killings - signed 'Jack the Ripper' in the first-ever use of that name - was actually forged by journalists desperate to sell their newspaper.
Dr Cook says streetwalkers Mary Nichols, Catherine Eddowes, Mary Kelly, Elizabeth Stride and Annie Chapman were killed by different men, as were the six other Whitechapel victims often added to the Ripper's toll.
He takes his evidence from police and medical experts at the time who expressed doubts about the single killer theory even as it began to take hold on the public imagination.
The senior Whitechapel policeman at the time of the killings admitted in his retirement speech that he did not believe Mary Kelly was killed by 'Jack the Ripper', Dr Cook points out.
The assistant police surgeon who examined all five victims, Percy Clark, told the East London Observer in 1910: 'I think perhaps one man was responsible for three of them. I would not like to say he did the others.'
However, comments like this were a drop in an ocean as the myth of the lone rogue killer took hold of the Victorian imagination.
Dr Cook shows that the newly-launched Star newspaper was the first to claim that one man was behind three of the 1888 killings.
Even though most experts today agree that two of these - Emma Smith and Martha Tabram - were not carried out by the same man, the Star's prurient accounts of the on-going murders massively boosted its circulation.
The Star only unveiled the notorious letter from 'Jack the Ripper' in the midst of a drastic fall in sales after the exoneration of a bootmaker it had identified as a key suspect.
Handwriting expert Elaine Quigley, recruited by Dr Cook to examine the letter, has identified it as the work of Star journalist Frederick Best.
But the public was convinced, Dr Cook says - and the concept of a lone rogue killer on the loose in the East End backstreets may have helped the real culprits literally get away with murder.
Back to top Go down
SPF
vip member
SPF

Scorpio Number of posts : 1679
: : Fashionista
: : Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7579292
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war'   Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 4:57 pm

wow, this calls for a new movie
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7687756

PostSubject: Re: Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war'   Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 5:05 pm

I totally believe that the "Dear Boss" letter and the postcards were written by a journalist - certain things such as writing in red ink and saying it was because the blood he had taken from a victim had clotted are pure journalistic fantasy

Please let me have my knife wielding chap walking through gas lamps and fog Smile
Back to top Go down
Vampira132
Vampira132

Gemini Tiger
Number of posts : 4606
: : The Victorian Woman in Black
: : Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' Kalbg0
More Numbers : 7683344

PostSubject: Re: Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war'   Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 2:10 pm

helen damnation wrote:

Please let me have my knife wielding chap walking through gas lamps and fog Smile

We've got to fight about this one now?!?! Whose next,lmao. Wink
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' Bjevig
More Numbers : 7594093
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war'   Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 8:14 pm

There is still enough evidence to support the single killer theory. The MO is fairly consistent in all the victims.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war'   Jack the Ripper 'was invented to win newspaper war' I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1