TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics

Go down 
+2
Ginger_Snaps
ravengrim
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics Evil10
More Numbers : 7696447
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics Empty
PostSubject: Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics   Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 12:32 am

Exactly what is a person really?

Following the Supreme Court decision implicitly granting corporations the right to free speech (by determining that political spending is a kind of speech), a corporation has decided to take what it believes to be “democracy’s next step”: It is running for Congress.

With more than a twinge of irony, Murray Hill Incorporated, a liberal public relations firm, recently announced that it planned to run in the Republican primary in Maryland’s 8th Congressional District.

Murray Hill Inc. is believed to be the first “corporate person” to exercise its constitutional right to run for office. As Supreme Court observer Lyle Denniston wrote in his SCOTUSblog, “If anything, the decision in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission conferred new dignity on corporate “persons,” treating them — under the First Amendment free-speech clause — as the equal of human beings.”

Murray Hill Inc. plans on spending “top dollar” to protect its investment. “It’s our democracy,” Murray Hill Inc. says, “We bought it, we paid for it, and we’re going to keep it.”

The campaign’s designated human, Eric Hensal, will help the corporation conform to antiquated “human only” procedures and sign the necessary voter registration and candidacy paperwork.

Video
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics Bjevig
More Numbers : 7594093
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics   Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 12:58 am

And you're just now getting around to posting this? This is basically officially a ruling that states that America is a corporate oligarchy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics 25883sk
More Numbers : 7423028
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics   Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 10:58 am

I googled Murray Hill to see just what kind of firm it is, and I found this:
Murray Hill PR Firm Plans (Satirical) Run For Maryland Congressional Seat

Not sure how reliable the Huffington Post is, but judging by the tone of MH's press release, it does sound like a satirical gesture (and a publicity stunt, let's face it):

Corporations are taking note of the impact that the Supreme Court decision to remove limits on corporate campaign spending will have on federal elections. One is even taking matters a step further -- with tongue firmly in cheek.

On its website, the progressive PR firm Murray Hill has announced its satirical plan to run for Congress, in what it calls the "First Test of 'Corporate Personhood' In Politics."

From their press release:

"Until now...corporate interests had to rely on campaign contributions and influence peddling to achieve their goals in Washington. But thanks to an enlightened Supreme Court, now we can eliminate the middle-man and run for office ourselves."
Murray Hill Inc. is believed to be the first "corporate person" to exercise its constitutional right to run for office. As Supreme Court observer Lyle Denniston wrote on SCOTUSblog, "If anything, the decision in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission conferred new dignity on corporate "persons," treating them -- under the First Amendment free-speech clause -- as the equal of human beings."

Murray Hill agrees. "The strength of America," according to the firm's release, "is in the boardrooms, country clubs and Lear jets of America's great corporations. We're saying to Wal-Mart, AIG and Pfizer, if not you, who? If not now, when?"
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7654013
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics   Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 2:13 pm

I would still see it as Eric Hensal running, being backed finacially by Murray Hill.

With this though, Murry Hill would be publically stating that if there were ever any
blame or falt to pass out, disagreement on any issues, you know where and who to go too.

I don't think Wal-mart wants to publically single themselves out to any specific party.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics   Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 2:20 pm

The more I read about current politics, the more I think we need a complete revision on our laws..
Back to top Go down
DarkDreamer
DarkDreamer

Pisces Horse
Number of posts : 933
: : Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics 29cndqs
More Numbers : 7526902
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics   Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 3:41 pm

nsanelilmunky wrote:
The more I read about current politics, the more I think we need a complete revision on our laws..

Amen to that!
Back to top Go down
GothicScrybe
vip member
GothicScrybe

Aries Rooster
Number of posts : 2480
: : Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics Evil10
More Numbers : 7326799
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics   Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 12:56 pm

It's no wonder America is the laughing stock of the world.
Back to top Go down
http://thelosttheforgottenthedamned.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics   Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics
Page 1 of 1