TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Dr. Martens turns 50

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Dr. Martens turns 50 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7640883
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Dr. Martens turns 50 Empty
PostSubject: Dr. Martens turns 50   Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 6:08 pm

Iconic Dr. Martens no longer just for the punk crowd

Boot defined style for the skinhead, punk and grunge movements

By David Livingstone

For a while, it seemed that Doc Martens might have come to their final resting place on the feet of mohawked derelicts sprawled with their pit bulls in doorways along Queen St. W.

But there has been a turnaround.

Collaborations with designers such as Yohji Yamamoto and Raf Simons helped restore a cachet. At the Art Basel fair in Miami in December, there were one-of-a-kind Dr. Martens customized by Justin Giunta, creator of the Subversive Jewelry collection.

The '80s revival that happened on the runways of the world has added further momentum to the comeback of Docs, which have been seen on supermodel Agyness Deyn as well as the super bad Lady Gaga.

This return to cool has happened just in time for the brand's 50th anniversary on April 1. It was on that day in 1960 that the iconic eight-eyelet boot with the air-cushioned sole – known as the 1460 – first went into production in Britain.

In succession, the boot was adopted by mods, punks, goths and other stylish tribes. That's not how it all began, however.

In 1945, Klaus Märtens, a physician with the German army, injured his ankle skiing and invented boots with air-padded soles that provided comfortable support.

Then R. Griggs, a manufacturer in Northamptonshire (the cradle of British shoemaking), struck a deal with the doctor and started production in 1960.

The footwear was popular with factory workers, police and mail carriers before it was taken up by youthful subcultures.

The boots are long-wearing – there's even a For Life range that comes with a lifetime guarantee and is sold on the Dr. Martens website and at Dr. Martens stores, of which there are none in Canada.

Even so, subcultures age.

By the beginning of the 21st century, the popularity of Dr. Martens was in serious decline.

In Canada, a shift to an outside distributor also contributed to a reduced profile for the brand.

But in 2008, Dr. Martens resumed control of Canadian distribution, making available to Canadian retailers a wider range of its offerings.

In the following year, according to Doug Segal, international sales manager, the company sold 100,000 pairs of shoes in this country, which represented a 40 per cent increase.

Carried by retailers such as NEON, SoftMoc and Little Burgundy, the Dr. Martens brand this fall will also be available at Holt Renfrew, another indicator of fashionability regained.

As recently reported by the trade journal Footwear News, one of the main trends for next season is the laced-up boot in utilitarian, military or Alpine versions. Dr. Martens accessorized fall collections by American menswear designers Tim Hamilton, Michael Bastian and Patrik Ervell.

And they've been spotted on the street.

In the summer, Marc Jacobs was photographed in New York wearing a kilt accessorized with a Birkin bag and Doc-style boots.

Besides boots (three- and eight-eyelet models) that have been made in limited editions of premium pebbled leather to celebrate the 50th anniversary, Dr. Martens now makes a variety of styles reflecting all the directions feet can fashionably go.

There are metallics, florals, solid bright colours in leather, which looks like canvas, and with white soles – currently a major rage – that look like they won't stay that way for long.

And among spring arrivals, there are the women's boots named Diva, which feature platform soles and look as if they could go wherever they felt like.
Back to top Go down
MoonRaven
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 9359
: : Geisha
: : Dr. Martens turns 50 Th_inl10
More Numbers : 7675931
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Martens turns 50   Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 7:03 pm

Holy. I wouldn't be able to wear those. I'd break a leg.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/moonraven83
deadcoldgothgirl
supernova
deadcoldgothgirl

Sagittarius Snake
Number of posts : 6332
: : Dr. Martens turns 50 S3mrtd
More Numbers : 7579753
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Martens turns 50   Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 2:39 am

I love my docs. Only problem is I made the mistake of hunting with them on in moist areas so now the back of the heel is warped and rubs. As you can guess that isn't too comfortable. But I don't like the new looks. I can kinda lean with the metallics but the others I can't stand.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/gothic_freak
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster
Number of posts : 1421
: : Dr. Martens turns 50 6tpz4k
More Numbers : 7570797
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Martens turns 50   Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 10:45 am

This is a fun fact.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fetishfactory.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Martens turns 50   Dr. Martens turns 50 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dr. Martens turns 50
Page 1 of 1