TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser

Go down 
+6
angelofthenight
Madelchai
Maxmordon
Emmature
cynfullov
RedAngel
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 25883sk
More Numbers : 7409898
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser   Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 2:17 pm

Emmature wrote:
Oh, Max. Shocked (Prays for your mom)

Me too. God, 10 years...
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Maxmordon
star member
Maxmordon

Aquarius Horse
Number of posts : 4066
: : Distopian Man
: : Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 S1rl90
More Numbers : 7569787
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser   Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 6:45 pm

Yes, he wasn't always like that... and mom thought a baby would help to their relationship; instead... well, you see. Not surprising, his marriage ended up like that... he has three daughters and all of them from different women.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser   Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Sounds like he receives much more love than he gives.
Back to top Go down
Maxmordon
star member
Maxmordon

Aquarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser   Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 12:22 am

Guess who's back, yep, mom's decade-long boyfriend. Sleeping on her bed, eating our food and told mom he would leave yesterday... blah, sh!tty world.
Back to top Go down
Emmature
Emmature

Virgo Pig
Number of posts : 1038
: : Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7355384
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser   Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 12:26 am

Oh, Max! hug

Your mom knows enough about good men to raise one... why can't she also date one?
Back to top Go down
Maxmordon
star member
Maxmordon

Aquarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser   Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 12:30 am

She's really dependent on people, she's bound to him since she needs a handyman, someone who do the hardwork around the house and I heavily suspects she doesn't know how to date.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 Bjevig
More Numbers : 7580963
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser   Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 1:15 am

All those signs were exhibited by my ex, I knew it, and I called him on it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
Emmature
Emmature

Virgo Pig

PostSubject: Re: Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser   Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 6:12 am

Maxmordon wrote:
She's really dependent on people, she's bound to him since she needs a handyman, someone who do the hardwork around the house and I heavily suspects she doesn't know how to date.

That's how my abusive ex's mom is. I love her so dearly, but since she had him when she was a teen and married his abusive father she knows how to do nothing for herself.

It's funny, because she had him so young and because she's been so victimized she's both physically and mentally younger than some of the people I consider my "peers", even on this forum.

I once had to change her smoke alarm battery for her; she was about to call over one of her loser bfs to do it.

I feel like a simple home repair course for battered women could do an awful lot of good.
Back to top Go down
Emmature
Emmature

Virgo Pig

PostSubject: Re: Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser   Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 6:14 am

^^Neat- that was my hundreth post!
Back to top Go down
Maxmordon
star member
Maxmordon

Aquarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser   Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 12:45 pm

Emmature wrote:
Maxmordon wrote:

That's how my abusive ex's mom is. I love her so dearly, but since she had him when she was a teen and married his abusive father she knows how to do nothing for herself.

It's funny, because she had him so young and because she's been so victimized she's both physically and mentally younger than some of the people I consider my "peers", even on this forum.

I once had to change her smoke alarm battery for her; she was about to call over one of her loser bfs to do it.

I feel like a simple home repair course for battered women could do an awful lot of good.

She got me when she was young and always had my grandpa for helping her until he got senile. The he got his boyfriend when I was like 6 or 7 and they have been together ever since. She always tells me she needs a man for doing the manly work around the house. (painting, plumping, repairing the car, etc.)
Back to top Go down
Emmature
Emmature

Virgo Pig

PostSubject: Re: Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser   Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 12:12 am

*Names have been changed.

Today I was at hobby Lobby and I ran into an old friend. Being surrounded by art supplies we got distracted talking about those, but the subject soon turned darker. She asked me if Chris* had finally moved out. I told her he had, and had then been sent to jail for assault. He's out now, so I'm watching my back. I told her that next time Chris comes around I'm not opening the door. She warned me that that's what the father of her two children is in jail for now- she wouldn't open the door so he broke it down and beat her worse than ever before.

She's still with him.

The state makes her go to classes and they cover those very same signs of a potential abuser. She reflected to me that they're "Bullshit- Matt* never exhibited any of those signs." Chris* didn't either. We talked about that. Next thing we knew we had been in Hobby Lobby for 3 hours.

I realized so much about myself, and more-so the overall battered woman mentalaty. First off, Me, my friend, and Chris's mom would never see ourselves as "battered women." We are strong, and we prove our strength by staying with men who are broken beyond repair. What heroes we would be if we repaired these men! How noble we are just for staying with them!

I tried to talk my friend down from this mindset but it was hard for me not to drown in it myself.

Also, when you're dealing with a punk-rock chick like my friend or a quirky goth like me, the feeling that one can live outside the norm is a way of life. Tell us "he'll never change- he's bad for you-" and (like satan-worship and absithe) it only seems like more fun. This is a bet you think you can win. Afterall, do you do anything else the way society tells you to?

It's strange, remembering how to see it through the abused's eyes. I don't exist like that any more, but my friend and so many others do.

I wish I had a happy ending to this story, but at the end my friend left with some new markers and I left praying my new boyfriend's not a hitter.
Back to top Go down
albinasamara
albinasamara

Gemini Rooster
Number of posts : 338
: : Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 2cf2wwg
More Numbers : 7577586
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser   Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 4:24 pm

It's not necessarily only an anger issue, usually there are control issues there as well. My first "love" was abusive, and he had a lot of control issues. If I did something that wasn't in his realm of acceptability, he would freak out. He would also expect me to read his mind and know what I did wrong without telling me.

The two things in that article that were really applicable to my experience were the "Too Much, Too Fast" and the "Blame Game." He told me he loved me on our second date, and also he would blame everyone else for his problems, ESPECIALLY the ones that were his own fault (i.e. he skipped work one day without calling in, and when they fired him he blamed me, them, his friends, everyone but himself).

Last year, after I got dumped by yet another a**hole (but not an abusive one), this ex contacted me and we hung out a few times. I had no intention of getting back with him but I really wanted to see if he had changed. He kept telling me that he had. I saw a lot of things to indicate that he hadn't, and when he started getting to close I cut off all contact with him.

So there's another lesson in there....people can change, but don't let them be the judge of that. He might think he changed a lot but I disagreed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/albinasamara
Succubus
supernova
Succubus

Libra Tiger
Number of posts : 6201
: : Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7527362
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser   Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 4:39 pm

Its really weird as if you are with someone that has control issues you tend to apologize way to much for things that are really not your fault or control. I just think that some people can change but they have to want to change. Then there are the people that are abusers whether they be the physical or mental seem to always have abusive pasts and those people seem to be the ones that never change no matter how much they say they have.Its like a cycle that keeps repeating itself over and over again.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser   Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 10:32 am

Yeah, control does seem to be at the heart of the other issues. The control aspect is the one that turns my stomach: the very notion that one person thinks s/he has the right to commandeer another person's life.

I know my father had pretty intense OCD, and I think I have vestiges of it too. In light of knowledge about my father (and of the thinking I've done because of conversations on this thread -- thank you to everyone who has posted) I try really hard not to fly off the handle if my husband does something that annoys me.
Back to top Go down
Lolita Rose
Lolita Rose

Scorpio Horse
Number of posts : 114
: : Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 Th_cil10
More Numbers : 7566957
Registration date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser   Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 11:34 pm

Thanks for posting the article. I've never dated, but at least now I know what to look out for when/if I do.

I don't have much else to add since I've never been in this situation or had someone close to me be in this situation.

Also, does anyone else find this article to be a little...biased?

I mean couldn't the same thing happen in same-sex relationships, or in the reverse?
What about the men in relationships with abusive women. Or the women dating other, abusive women.
I'm willing to bet there aren't as many help centers for them.
I feel bad for the men with abusive wives or husbands because no one seems to talk about those situations. That or the men themselves may be afraid to go to anyone for help.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser   Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 9:51 am

^^ Yeah, absolutely. It can happen in same-sex relationships (in these cases it goes unreported, for a lot of reasons), and there are cases in which a man's wife or GF is abusive -- people might say, why doesn't he fight back? The core answer is, he knows it's wrong to hit.

I don't think the article is biased, since abusive man / abused woman is a very common scenario. It was also socially acceptable at one time, which is another reason why that particular circumstance gets the lion's share of study -- to alter the perspective that it should ever be OK. And there have been arguments to justify it or sweep it under the rug, so in response to this, it is the scenario that gets the most coverage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser   Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stay Safe: Signs of a Potential Abuser
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2